Nikita Krylov has been released from his UFC contract

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

nuraknu

savage
Jul 20, 2016

"The UFC light heavyweight division is down another man after Nikita Krylov was released from his contract with the organization this month.

"Krylov (21-5 MMA, 9-3 UFC), a nine-fight veteran of the promotion, was let go in the wake of his most recent fight, a first-round submission loss to Misha Cirkunov at UFC 206 in December.

"A UFC official confirmed Krylov’s release to MMAjunkie. He was removed from the latest version of the UFC official rankings on the promotion’s website...."

More:
Ranked light heavyweight Nikita Krylov released from UFC contract

Last edited:

nuraknu

savage
Jul 20, 2016
Why would this happen? Because Krylov is on Fedor's side, not Kadyrov's? Is this totally political? Or is it because all of Cirkunov's highlight reels are going to show him beating up a ranked UFC fighter?

The UFC is going so downhill. This world is crazy.

(edit stupid typo)

Last edited:

SuperPig

Enjoy yourselves
Aug 7, 2015
I really have no clue what WME is doing. They seem to be letting a lot of decent to really good young fighters go. I'm not certain I understand it at all. Horiguchi, Cirkunov, Krylov, etc etc etc etc.

Chromium

Posting Machine
Oct 10, 2016
I really have no clue what WME is doing. They seem to be letting a lot of decent to really good young fighters go. I'm not certain I understand it at all. Horiguchi, Cirkunov, Krylov, etc etc etc etc.
Wait, Horiguchi's gone??

Chromium

Posting Machine
Oct 10, 2016
OK... so not officially gone but he is a free agent. I can't remember who I heard say it but I think it was on the Luke Thomas Show, maybe Junkie Radio... I've done a lot of driving this week and all of the radio and podcasts are blending together.

View: https://twitter.com/MMASun/status/831912709016936449
Ugh, just fucking ugh.

Why is WME so fucking stupid? Does no one in their management hierarchy understand how division-building works?

jason73

Yuri Bezmenov was right
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
Wme needs to shed like 200 more fighters .they need to lose the bottom 20-30 percent of the roster.they are doing it wrong and losing up n comers and prospects along the way.

bully4me

Aug 10, 2015

View: https://twitter.com/ZidanSports/status/832943259622195202

Imo there is a big difference between reporting someone was released vs. they didn't renew.
Yes that's true in most cases but not renewing winning fighters for the sake of relatively small dollar amounts and having it happen to this many fighters all at once is very strange. Cirkunov is one of the hottest prospects in the LWH division in ANY MMA Org. According to him he was asking for more money in his new contract. The more he moved up the ladder the more training camps and coaches cost, to improve the way he needed too. Misha said it was getting so the more he won the less he was taking home, he asked for a 50K-50K pay scale. IMO for a very hot prospect with a great record of winning and finishing in the division that's in most need of fresh blood that is not a huge number for the UFC to pay. Then Tiago Traveres, a UFC fighter with tenure of ten years making around the 50-50 scale has his contract due for negotiations, he doesn't ask for more cash yet the UFC offered him much less pay so he left... so much for taking care of fighters who built the company and have been loyal.
Lorenzo and Frank certainly treated fighters and employees better than this. They also realized the value of top prospects who were winning and finishing consistently. The New Era UFC seems to be paying fighters on the ability to be marketable with looks and speaking abilities more than how they can win fights. Perfect example of this is Sage Northcutt being payed more than Misha Cirkunov. Yet look at both of their records and how they've been treated by the UFC.

Kingtony87

Batman
Feb 2, 2016
Isn't this what people wanted? For fighters to test free agency and go fill out the rosters of bellator, one fc, and rizin?

nuraknu

savage
Jul 20, 2016
Isn't this what people wanted? For fighters to test free agency and go fill out the rosters of bellator, one fc, and rizin?
Yes, but when it was first reported it sounded like he was still under contract but they let him go.

bully4me

Aug 10, 2015
It could be a business tactic by the UFC. Flooding a pool of fighters into the market, Bellator, WSOF, Rizin, Etc, these companies may sign these fighters, filling up their rosters and fighter budgets. Later Fighters the UFC really want to keep may hit the free market and there may not be enough cash left over to sign them. This does eliminate fighters from taking advantage of the bidding war free agency can provide, with the UFC out of the picture fighters won't be able to demand the money they'd get if still signed and wanted by the UFC.

This sends a clear message to UFC fighters, saying 'it doesn't matter who you are (unless you are a huge draw), we will let you go. Whether top prospect, Veteran, man or woman, just take what we offer or face the possible consequences'. A fighter who wants to test Free Agency, they may think again because if the UFC decides to let them go and not bid their value goes down and could end up making even less than the original UFC offer. Just another Corporate Business Tactic to strong arm and keep everyone in line by fear of losing their job.

Kingtony87

Batman
Feb 2, 2016
It could be a business tactic by the UFC. Flooding a pool of fighters into the market, Bellator, WSOF, Rizin, Etc, these companies may sign these fighters, filling up their rosters and fighter budgets. Later Fighters the UFC really want to keep may hit the free market and there may not be enough cash left over to sign them. This does eliminate fighters from taking advantage of the bidding war free agency can provide, with the UFC out of the picture fighters won't be able to demand the money they'd get if still signed and wanted by the UFC.

This sends a clear message to UFC fighters, saying 'it doesn't matter who you are (unless you are a huge draw), we will let you go. Whether top prospect, Veteran, man or woman, just take what we offer or face the possible consequences'. A fighter who wants to test Free Agency, they may think again because if the UFC decides to let them go and not bid their value goes down and could end up making even less than the original UFC offer. Just another Corporate Business Tactic to strong arm and keep everyone in line by fear of losing their job.
I very much agree.

SuperPig

Enjoy yourselves
Aug 7, 2015

Also, depending on how long it takes for deals to be offered the UFC may still have matching rights which would allow them to possibly resign the fighters at a rate lower than a true free market price.

Mishima Zaibatsu

TMMAC’s resident musician
Feb 27, 2016
Davis, Bader, Cirkunov and Krylov are all free agents.

LHW in the UFC isnt looking as strong as it did... and thats saying something.

Faintofmatts

May 3, 2015
Davis, Bader, Cirkunov and Krylov are all free agents.

LHW in the UFC isnt looking as strong as it did... and thats saying something.
Losing Bader is hardly a big blow but the other three were the future of a division that has all but zero prospects otherwise.

They just ruined the chance to build Cannonier by using him to give Texeira a cheap pop, Villante will never be more than a gatekeeper, Corey Anderson is a bust with a stupid fucking nickname, it's hard to see Cutelaba as being anything other than filler, Pedro is way too green to have any idea if he's a legit prospect or a flash in the pan, Rountree is shite, etc.