General North Texas is getting lake effect snow.

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

ThatOneDude

Commander in @Chief, Dick Army
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Exactly. It burns great, but I wouldn't use it in your smoker or anything like that. I had two giant hackberry trees removed about 10 years ago. Gave me tons of firewood that was great for the outdoor pit. It doesn't smell as good as oak when it burns, so I don't like to use it in the fireplace.
Ah gotcha, I didn't know if there was a health reason.

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
No clue, but Mrs. OneDude prefers hickory for errythang. And Mrs. OneDude is so far out of my league, Mrs. OneDude gets what Mrs. OneDude wants.
What if hackberry is better, but no one uses it?

Kind of like how the majority of people describe wild game meat as being "gamey" when what they actually mean is "My neighbor made it, but he doesn't know how to cook."

ThatOneDude

First 100
Jan 14, 2015
What if hackberry is better, but no one uses it?

Kind of like how the majority of people describe wild game meat as being "gamey" when what they actually mean is "My neighbor made it, but he doesn't know how to cook."
I donno, I'll let you know how it smells when I burn it this weekend.

And yes, I know it's not seasoned just trying to figure out what it is.

And those people who complain about gaminess are pussies.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
Most delicious things do.
You're welcome to give it a go! There are plenty of those trees around here that people can't wait to get rid of.

About the time they get big enough to be good shade trees; they get soft, rot, and start to fall apart. They are notorious for falling on houses in storms.

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
You're welcome to give it a go! There are plenty of those trees around here that people can't wait to get rid of.

About the time they get big enough to be good shade trees; they get soft, rot, and start to fall apart. They are notorious for falling on houses in storms.
I feel like shipping wood becomes very cost ineffective.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
BeardOfKnowledge @CornPop i feel like you were leading me somewhere and you know something you aren't sharing about hackberry.
Hey very well may be right, but I've never heard of anybody using it for smoking But I'm by far no expert.

And now that I think about it, the two big trees I had cut down were fairly rotted out, so maybe that's why I thought it stunk. A lot of people here don't even keep it if they cut down a tree, they'll just post a "free firewood" add on craigslist hah. Looks like you have some fresh branches, so give it a go and see what you think!

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
Same and same.
I make may 2 trips and get all of it.
I'm interested to see how it smells when I burn it this weekend
Might as well take it. And don't get me wrong, I would have burned that in my fireplace all week while our power was out if that's what I had. But I am usually burning oak and that's what I had and like.

ThatOneDude

First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Might as well take it. And don't get me wrong, I would have burned that in my fireplace all week while our power was out if that's what I had. But I am usually burning oak and that's what I had and like.
I would love to get my hands on some oak for inside and tritip or brisket.

I'll have to see what the HOA woods has.