General North Texas is getting lake effect snow.

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Freeloading Rusty

Here comes Rover, sniffin’ at your ass
Jan 11, 2016

ThatOneDude

Commander in @Chief, Dick Army
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Little bit of good news, and some bad news. This is going to kill fishing guides and charters on the coast. Not good.

1614269173948.png

Onetrickpony

Stay gold
Nov 21, 2016
I didn't know you were an arborist.

Be prepared to get an obnoxious amount of questions from me this spring when I start cleaning up my property.

Not so much on cutting dead trees down, i have plenty of experience in that and know the dangers. But what's best to plant to prevent erosion and maximize canopy coverage to keep weed growth to a minimum?

Previous owners let vines choke out trees and many of them died as a result. This winter I walked the area and cut all the vines at ground level. Assuming they were dormant during Winter, I didn't poison the cut. I plan to re-cut and poison them this Spring to officially kill them off.

Existing trees: Sugar Maple, Walnut, Red Oak, White Oak, Honey Locust (plan to eradicate), Sycamore, Hickory and I still have a few Ash trees that I'm going to try to save.

And I have about 5000 bush honeysuckle that may very well be the death of me.

Zone 6.
Sorry this took so long, not trying to ignore you.

Last weekend was my birthday and I hung out with the family and I was busy working all week.

Preventing erosion under full canopy trees should be done with shade loving ground covers.

Vines need to be poisoned or dig up to eliminate (though they still may come back).

Honeysuckle are a fucking bitch to kill (I dug up, poisoned, poured gas on the roots and lit them on fire before I got rid of the bushes in my front yard), good luck.

Certain Walnut trees are allelopathic due to their jugalone production. They will poison other trees and plants near to them. If you have these on your property you will need to pick plants that are resistant to jugalones.

Lastly, Google is your friend, get your soil tested in areas you are concerned with, local gardening associations and arborist groups will have immense knowledge of what grows and thrives in your area and are always happy to help.

Onetrickpony

Stay gold
Nov 21, 2016
I agree chainsaws are dangerous and I have no training. I will take the information you given here to heart and read it. Can you recommend any chainsaw training?
Since I do not live in your area I can not.

But, I recommend watching a bunch of YouTube videos on chainsaw training and safety before you buy a saw and try to cut anything down.

Wear proper PPE (hard hat with mesh visor, safety glasses, leather gloves, chainsaw pants and steel toe boots at a minimum.

Enock-O-Lypse Now!

Underneath Denver International Airport
Jun 19, 2016
Since I do not live in your area I can not.

But, I recommend watching a bunch of YouTube videos on chainsaw training and safety before you buy a saw and try to cut anything down.

Wear proper PPE (hard hat with mesh visor, safety glasses, leather gloves, chainsaw pants and steel toe boots at a minimum.
Holy shit! Had no clue you were an Arborist!

Been thinking about changing career fields and getting out of the Conspiracy Field ...what steps do you recommend me taking to becoming an entry level Arborist?

Onetrickpony

Stay gold
Nov 21, 2016
Holy shit! Had no clue you were an Arborist!

Been thinking about changing career fields and getting out of the Conspiracy Field ...what steps do you recommend me taking to becoming an entry level Arborist?
I took my arborist and Red seal in landscape horticulture because I worked in the parks department and they paid for me to take the courses when I was laid off in the winter (never turn down free education).

Theres not a lot of money in arboriculture. You do it because you love it (I didn’t, I did it for advancement and education but I learned a ton that completely changed my opinions on horticulture in general).

If you do love things that grow, check out the classes at your local universities. They will be more than happy to point you down the path you desire.

Hauler

Been fallin so long it's like gravitys gone
Feb 3, 2016
Sorry this took so long, not trying to ignore you.

Last weekend was my birthday and I hung out with the family and I was busy working all week.

Preventing erosion under full canopy trees should be done with shade loving ground covers.

Vines need to be poisoned or dig up to eliminate (though they still may come back).

Honeysuckle are a fucking bitch to kill (I dug up, poisoned, poured gas on the roots and lit them on fire before I got rid of the bushes in my front yard), good luck.

Certain Walnut trees are allelopathic due to their jugalone production. They will poison other trees and plants near to them. If you have these on your property you will need to pick plants that are resistant to jugalones.

Lastly, Google is your friend, get your soil tested in areas you are concerned with, local gardening associations and arborist groups will have immense knowledge of what grows and thrives in your area and are always happy to help.
Bro...

Thanks.

Onetrickpony

Stay gold
Nov 21, 2016
Hauler @Hauler about your ash trees.

If emerald ash borers are in your area, unless your trees are mountain ash, your trees are fucked.

Once the EAB sets in the trees are done for. After 1-2 years of infection trees become brittle and unpredictable. If you know a tree is infected, and has been for more than a year, your safest bet is to push it over with a tractor.

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016

If emerald ash borers are in your area, unless your trees are mountain ash, your trees are fucked.

Once the EAB sets in the trees are done for. After 1-2 years of infection trees become brittle and unpredictable. If you know a tree is infected, and has been for more than a year, your safest bet is to push it over with a tractor.
The treatments don't work?

I have one large ash that I don't see any "D" marks on the bark, but there is a very small amount of branch kill at the top of the tree.

Can't be saved? The EAB is definitely in the area.

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015

This is going to sound like a stupid question but what's the deal with these? What keeps them in check in Japan?

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
This is going to sound like a stupid question but what's the deal with these? What keeps them in check in Japan?
My guess is there are no ash trees in Japan.

It's an Asian beetle that made its way over to the states and it loves ash trees. Has killed 10,000,000+ trees in 15 years or so.