General Notre Dame Cathedral on fire

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

kneeblock

Drapetomaniac
Apr 18, 2015
Is it gme or is the hysteria over a burning building a tad disproportionate?
I hear you. My instinct was to be like "I hope y'all had that same energy for Puerto Rico and Ferguson," but then I realized it's truly sad when any object of cultural significance is lost. In France, where an essential culture is basically their religion, this must be a deep cut.

Disciplined Galt

Disciplina et Frugalis
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
I hear you. My instinct was to be like "I hope y'all had that same energy for Puerto Rico and Ferguson," but then I realized it's truly sad when any object of cultural significance is lost. In France, where an essential culture is basically their religion, this must be a deep cut.
800 years.

Andrewsimar Palhardass

Women, dinosaurs, and the violence of the octagon.
Jan 8, 2016
Is it me or is the hysteria over a burning building a tad disproportionate?
Treating it as just a building is a substantial understatement. This place is a part of world history. I am not religious in the slightest, but this is more substantial than even the Eiffel Tower or White House being severely threatened. For context, Notre Dame Cathedral was started only about 100 years closer to today than to the day that Jesus was supposedly crucified. Napolean was coronated there. Joan of Arc spent time there.

Now you add the religious context for people. It housed relics that included the believed crown of thorns that Jesus wore on the cross, and a piece that is believed to be of the cross itself.

People weren't simply mourning a building.

Andrewsimar Palhardass

Jan 8, 2016
There's an instinct that people have nowadays where they act as if something can't be mourned if worse things are happening at the time. I don't understand it, and I am glad you fought it.

Andrewsimar Palhardass

Jan 8, 2016
KWingJitsu @KWingJitsu kneeblock @Kneeblock Also, it may appear that people are reacting more to this because we can all agree that this is sad. When something such as Puerto Rico or Ferguson happens, many people are too busy childishly arguing the politics of the situation and placing blame to mourn the lost. This one is harder to mine for political posturing (though some particularly annoying public figures have found a way). Generally, our current society is lost in argument when sad things happen. This one isn't the case as much, so you are seeing more actual human reaction.

KWingJitsu

ยาเม็ดสีแดงหรือสีฟ้ายา?
Nov 15, 2015
KWingJitsu @KWingJitsu kneeblock @Kneeblock Also, it may appear that people are reacting more to this because we can all agree that this is sad. When something such as Puerto Rico or Ferguson happens, many people are too busy childishly arguing the politics of the situation and placing blame to mourn the lost. This one is harder to mine for political posturing (though some particularly annoying public figures have found a way). Generally, our current society is lost in argument when sad things happen. This one isn't the case as much, so you are seeing more actual human reaction.

Being a bit of a history buff, I appreciate the significance of Notre Dame, but you brought up the underlying thought behind my post: Not a single life was lost. "Things" (building) can be replaced, but people can't. Fortunately, the essential structure is intact, most of the artifacts are safe and sound.
Yet we have hundred million dollar donations pouring in, Macron vowing to rebuild, etc. Amateur firefighters suggesting flying water tankers (lol).
I'm just thinking about when ISIS was destroying equally (if not more so) significant structures in Palmyria ... barely any eyelids were batted. Just seems a bit much, considering it will be fine in the end.

Never_Rolled

First 10,000
Dec 17, 2018
Ferguson? Thug attacks a police officer. He brought that on himself. Losers burn and riot where they live. So much the same.

Andrewsimar Palhardass

Jan 8, 2016
Being a bit of a history buff, I appreciate the significance of Notre Dame, but you brought up the underlying thought behind my post: Not a single life was lost. "Things" (building) can be replaced, but people can't. Fortunately, the essential structure is intact, most of the artifacts are safe and sound.
Yet we have hundred million dollar donations pouring in, Macron vowing to rebuild, etc. Amateur firefighters suggesting flying water tankers (lol).
I'm just thinking about when ISIS was destroying equally (if not more so) significant structures in Palmyria ... barely any eyelids were batted. Just seems a bit much, considering it will be fine in the end.
This particular building cannot be replaced. They are certainly fortunate that it wasn't damaged more than it was.

Also, different structures have different significance to different people. If a structure that we were not aware of gets destroyed, it is sad, but it isn't the same as something that is a part of our consciousness. If my computer was stolen, I would be more sad than if a person I was previously unaware of had their Lamborghini stolen, though I would still feel for the guy had I learned of it.

I personally think I illustrated why this seems to get more of a sad reaction from people- we can't argue politically about it. Nowadays instead of mourning tragedies, we tend to simply get distracted fitting them into our political narratives and using them as exhibits in our cases against each other. While I do think that the reaction to yesterday's fire was appropriate, I do believe we tend to not react appropriately to other types of tragedies due to what I just explained.

Jesus X

4 drink minimum.
Sep 7, 2015
I was thinking about this. I don't know if those old buildings are retrofitted to current codes. I'm assuming not as it would take away from the original beauty.

Nobody wants to see a bunch of sprinkler heads blocking the view of the Sistine Chapel's ceiling.
the church I went too had all sort of ridiculous technology catholic churches are rich AF our collection plate was a humongous basket the size of a trash can.

Andrewsimar Palhardass

Jan 8, 2016
Wonder what their fire watch time was or their hot work practice. Leaving at normal time after just turning off the welding torch or grinding your traywork.
They had to stay for at least two hours after turning their equipment off.

Andrewsimar Palhardass

Jan 8, 2016
I was thinking about this. I don't know if those old buildings are retrofitted to current codes. I'm assuming not as it would take away from the original beauty.

Nobody wants to see a bunch of sprinkler heads blocking the view of the Sistine Chapel's ceiling.
From what I have read, there are sensors checking for fire all around the building, and the structure is inspected for any signs of fire three times per day. There were also pipes fitted into the building so that firefighters could shoot pressurized water through, but there were no sprinklers in the wooden rafters.