NSAC director discusses Jose Aldo's injury and licensing status ahead of UFC 189

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014

Jose Aldo’s desire to go ahead with his UFC 189 bout with Conor McGregor despite a rib injury has restored some optimism after a panicked few days in the MMA world.

Aldo’s (25-1 MMA, 7-0 UFC) willingness to go ahead with the McGregor (17-2 MMA, 5-0 UFC) fight is not the only hurdle needing to be cleared, however. There’s still a licensing process for the bout, which takes place July 11 at Las Vegas’ MGM Grand Garden Arena and airs on pay-per-view. Aldo will have to be cleared medically and then licensed by the Nevada State Athletic Commission.

“He’ll have to be licensed when all his medicals are in,” NSAC Executive Director Bob Bennett told MMAjunkie. “There’s not a cutoff date, no.”

While some have expected the NSAC to step in and prevent an injured Aldo from taking a championship fight, Bennett says that the ball is still in the promotion’s court.

“That’s for the UFC,” Bennett said. “They’ll go ahead and that will be reflected in his medical records, and that’s also reflected in his pre-fight questionnaire.

“So if he’s hurt and he can’t fight, he’ll reveal it to us, or he should. I understand about the injury he has, and I understand they’re taking a look at it, and they’re evaluating him, and those are all questions that really should be directed at the UFC, because we’re working hand-in-glove with them. At this point and time, it’s not a regulatory issue.”

That trust in the UFC extends to the point of expecting the promotion to step in and bring an inability to fight to the attention of the NSAC.

LINK to full story: NSAC director discusses Jose Aldo’s injury and licensing status ahead of UFC 189 | MMAjunkie

dacofty

Yea..Ok..Whatever
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
I really do not see the NSAC ruling he cant fight, Bob Bennett is as corrupt as they come when it deals with the UFC and no telling what the NSAC will make off this fight, I think its gonna be a poor excuse for MMA to allow the fight.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
I really do not see the NSAC ruling he cant fight, Bob Bennett is as corrupt as they come when it deals with the UFC and no telling what the NSAC will make off this fight, I think its gonna be a poor excuse for MMA to allow the fight.
If the NSAC leaves it at the UFC's discretion, you know they will allow him to fight. In my opinion, if this fight doesn't happen (and I dont think it will), it will be because Jose said he isn't doing it. And would anyone put that past him? He hasn't exactly been thrilled with his "working conditions" for a while now. What would he care if he delays the fight for 3 months, and causes some heartburn for Dana & Co? He'll eventually make his money off of this.

Shy Guy

Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right...
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
How is it at the UFC's discretion?

Then what the fuck is the athletic commission for?

dacofty

Yea..Ok..Whatever
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
Bingo, that's the 100 dollar question, sounds like the commission is stating they only do what the ufc wants them to do

Zeph

TMMAC Addict
Jan 22, 2015
How is it at the UFC's discretion?

Then what the fuck is the athletic commission for?
Well, it is at their discretion currently. Right up until the pre-fight medical, then it becomes the NSAC discretion.