NSFW NSFL: Childish Gambino - This is America

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

nuraknu

savage
Jul 20, 2016
This video did what it wanted to do, because it really upset me. Spoiler: people are murdered and it's traumatic. I actually don't think anyone should watch it, although the music and dancing are pretty good, because it's so upsetting. A mutual friend asked me to post because he thinks everyone should be discussing it.

It's worse/more effective when you don't know what's about to happen, but I didn't want to be responsible for someone watching it who really isn't able to handle it at the moment.

b00ts

pews&vrooms
Amateur Fighter
Oct 21, 2015
That “no purchase” list for firearms that people talk about... Childish Gambino should definitely be on it.

nuraknu

savage
Jul 20, 2016
I think the statements he's making are meaningful and there's a lot of truth reflected in the acting, but it's just so hard to watch.

*I actually would have liked a trigger warning, and I am not really someone that goes in for those.

Yossarian

TMMAC Addict
Oct 25, 2015
This video did what it wanted to do, because it really upset me. Spoiler: people are murdered and it's traumatic. I actually don't think anyone should watch it, although the music and dancing are pretty good, because it's so upsetting. A mutual friend asked me to post because he thinks everyone should be discussing it.

It's worse/more effective when you don't know what's about to happen, but I didn't want to be responsible for someone watching it who really isn't able to handle it at the moment.

Nothing we haven't seen in movies before? You don't watch action movies?

Yossarian

TMMAC Addict
Oct 25, 2015
I think the statements he's making are meaningful and there's a lot of truth reflected in the acting, but it's just so hard to watch.

*I actually would have liked a trigger warning, and I am not really someone that goes in for those.
He's promoting gun violence.

nuraknu

savage
Jul 20, 2016
Nothing we haven't seen in movies before? You don't watch action movies?
I do. I love action movies. I have seen it all before. I just didn't know to expect it when I watched this video and plus, since I had a child my hormones have changed and I am more sensitive to some of these things. Idk, when I was younger I could handle it better. Now, depending on how real it seems, if I know it's coming I close my eyes and ask my husband to tell me when it's over.

nuraknu

savage
Jul 20, 2016
He's promoting gun violence.
I couldn't hear all the words when I watched it, but I did have that thought that because it's in a music video no matter what the motivation behind it, it will have the effect of desensitizing some people.

Yossarian

TMMAC Addict
Oct 25, 2015
I couldn't hear all the words when I watched it, but I did have that thought that because it's in a music video no matter what the motivation behind it, it will have the effect of desensitizing some people.
Whether he is or not, whatever the effect is, he's now one and the same.

Yossarian

TMMAC Addict
Oct 25, 2015
I do. I love action movies. I have seen it all before. I just didn't know to expect it when I watched this video and plus, since I had a child my hormones have changed and I am more sensitive to some of these things. Idk, when I was younger I could handle it better. Now, depending on how real it seems, if I know it's coming I close my eyes and ask my husband to tell me when it's over.
Fair enough. It has all become so normal.

Nemo?

Too weird to live, too rare to die.
Dec 2, 2015

That song is straight fire.

I must be fully desensitized.

b00ts

pews&vrooms
Amateur Fighter
Oct 21, 2015
I like Migos, so I can’t say much... but rap is absolute trash since the Souncloud rappers came along

Speaking of Migos...

I feel like I'm watching children play "dress up" when I watch these videos (for the 15-20 seconds I can stand them).

Yossarian

TMMAC Addict
Oct 25, 2015
I can't stand the new rap cadence everyone is using. Even Justin Timberlake had to get a piece.

It's a winning formula, so that's the way to go. I stay far away from radio, or anything mainstream. Occasionally I may appreciate a new song or artist, but that is rare. Plenty of good rap, it's just harder to find.