General Nursing home that was source of COVID-19 virus in US fined $611,000

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

mysticmac

First 1025
Oct 18, 2015
Source: Kirkland nursing home fined $611,000 over deadly coronavirus outbreak

KIRKLAND, Wash. - Federal regulators have assessed a $611,000 fine against a coronavirus-ravaged Kirkland nursing home after an inspection found critical problems that contributed to the outbreak there, resulting in at least 37 deaths and dozens of confirmed cases.

The fine was issued Thursday against the Life Care Center of Kirkland by the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services.

In a letter to the Life Care Center's director, federal officials said the facility is being fined $13,585 per day effective Feb. 12 and continuing through March 27, for a total of $611,325. The facility can appeal the fine.

The federal inspection found a number of deficiencies at the Kirkland nursing facility that placed patients' safety in "imminent danger." Among them:
  • The facility failed to rapidly identify and manage sick residents even as the number of respiratory infections spiraled.
  • The center failed to notify the state Department of Health about the increasing rate of respiratory infections among residents.
  • The facility failed to have a backup plan in the absence of Life Care's primary doctor, who fell ill.
Inspectors say each of those problems placed residents in immediate jeopardy and imminent danger, resulting in at least 37 deaths from the coronavirus.

A follow-up inspection found that some of the problems at the Life Care Center had been corrected, so the facility will be allowed to operate until Sept. 16.

If all problems have not been corrected by that date, the federal government may cancel its Medicare provider agreement, federal officials said.

Cheryl Strange, secretary of the Department of Social & Health Services, called the outbreak at Life Care Center of Kirkland "an unprecedented situation for the state of Washington."

“We have worked closely with our federal partners over the last several weeks to determine what lead to the outbreak there and what contributed to its spread throughout the facility (and) we have learned valuable lessons," she said.

She said the lessons learned are now being applied to prepare long term care facilities throughout the state for the potential of COVID-19.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
The facility failed to rapidly identify and manage sick residents even as the number of respiratory infections spiraled
I wonder what that timeline looked like for them to get dinged like that.
obviously you want to have a little bit of understanding since it's a new outbreak. But I mean this looks like flu at first too many and you've got one person after another and another getting sick.
I wonder how many show symptoms over what time. If all your people are starting fevers and having cough that seems pretty egregious, especially not reporting the outbreak which I think is a requirement for these types of facilities

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015

Sheepdog

Protecting America from excessive stool loitering
Dec 1, 2015
What a shitshow hey. There's one here in Perth who are refusing to fuck off. Fuckin dickhead cruise companies
They want bailouts from the US government and Trump is considering giving to them. Even though they are all registered in Panama (or some other tax dodge place), don't pay taxes in the US and only hire workers from 3rd world countries as basically slave labor. And they are only for old people anyway, who all got sick and died from these shitty cruises. The world would genuinely be a better place if they just lined up all these ships and sunk them.

BrunoMcGyver

Bruno no dey carry last
Dec 30, 2015
They want bailouts from the US government and Trump is considering giving to them. Even though they are all registered in Panama (or some other tax dodge place), don't pay taxes in the US and only hire workers from 3rd world countries as basically slave labor. And they are only for old people anyway, who all got sick and died from these shitty cruises. The world would genuinely be a better place if they just lined up all these ships and sunk them.
Yup. My parents have been on a couple over the past few years and my mum spruiked the idea of one to my wife and I. I didn't like the idea then and I hate the idea now as much as I hate pedos.

Jesus X

4 drink minimum.
Sep 7, 2015
they brought covid to long beach and like two other disease iirc they always dock by the queen mary here we would be better off without them here.

Sheepdog

Protecting America from excessive stool loitering
Dec 1, 2015
Yup. My parents have been on a couple over the past few years and my mum spruiked the idea of one to my wife and I. I didn't like the idea then and I hate the idea now as much as I hate pedos.
From what I hear about cruise ships, if you just dropped your kids off at a pedos house rather than taking them on the boat with you, you'd just be cutting out an unnecessary middleman, saving money and time.