NYSAC on UFC 223 rumors: ‘Felder never came into play’

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014

UFC 223 was a big mess. Even as a reasonably entertaining – and eventually, likely fairly financially successful – pay-per-view event, a week that had started with a thirteen fight card headlined by Khabib Nurmagomedov vs. Tony Ferguson ended up as a nine fight card with Nurmagomedov defeating Al Iaquinta for a UFC title. What was supposed to be a clarifying moment for the lightweight division was anything but.

McGregor’s decision to storm Barclays Center during fight week caused three bout cancellations. And when coupled with Ferguson blowing out his knee and Max Holloway’s weight cut getting stopped, it’s…

NY Athletic Commission responds to UFC 223 rumors: ‘Felder never came into play’

Last edited:

benjo0101

TMMAC Addict
Jun 13, 2016
I hate how much of this is done on feel. He wouldn't approve a 5 round fight based on what??

It's like they've learned nothing from anyone and decided to blunder on through on their own

tang

top korean roofer
Oct 21, 2015
heard it was because Felder isn't ranked at all which is crazy, cuz who goes by the actual rankings?

Nov 21, 2015

UFC 223 was a big mess. Even as a reasonably entertaining – and eventually, likely fairly financially successful – pay-per-view event, a week that had started with a thirteen fight card headlined by Khabib Nurmagomedov vs. Tony Ferguson ended up as a nine fight card with Nurmagomedov defeating Al Iaquinta for a UFC title. What was supposed to be a clarifying moment for the lightweight division was anything but.

McGregor’s decision to storm Barclays Center during fight week caused three bout cancellations. And when coupled with Ferguson blowing out his knee and Max Holloway’s weight cut getting stopped, it’s…

NY Athletic Commission responds to UFC 223 rumors: ‘Felder never came into play’
Why do I sense some Egg Fuckery here

kneeblock

Drapetomaniac
Apr 18, 2015
Hoping to shed some light on all this is New York State Athletic Commission (NYSAC) executive director Kim Sumbler. Sumbler spoke to MMA Fighting, and made it known first and foremost, that Max Holloway was pulled by NYSAC medical staff.

“I was called into the room about half an hour before the weigh-ins were over, our last weigh-in time was 11:00, so it was about 10:30 in the morning,” Sumbler told MMA Fighting. “We were called into a room with my chief medical officer and Jeff Davidson of the UFC medical team and discussed Max’s condition. It was decided at that time jointly that we weren’t going to allow Max to weigh in.”

Sumbler didn’t change the narrative on Anthony Pettis, but added a little extra insight to the process. After speaking to someone on Pettis’ fight team, who told her his fighter wouldn’t lose 0.2 lbs to get down to the title fight limit, she spoke to the former lightweight champion directly.

“I asked Anthony directly, I had him look me in the face because he was writing some paper work and I said, ‘Anthony, I want you to turn and look at me,’ and he did. And it was in front of the UFC and his team, and I said, ‘Anthony, do you want to lose the extra 0.2 (pounds) and he said, ‘no, I don’t,’ and I said, ‘okay,’ and he took this great big jug of water and he drank it and I said, ‘guys, go pick up the scale’. And that was the end of it. I said I would approve a three-round fight, ‘I don’t think you’re ready for a five, I’ll approve you for a three-round fight against Khabib’. He went to go and do negotiations (with the UFC) and that was the last I heard until they presented me to Al.”

And as for Paul Felder and his ranking? Apparently that bit of controversy never even happened, at least to hear the NYSAC tell it.

“Paul Felder never came into play,” Sumbler clarified. “He was never presented to me as an opponent, ever. His name was talked around the commission room with other fighters, other managers and other people, but the UFC never presented me Paul Felder as a potential opponent for Khabib.”

kneeblock

Drapetomaniac
Apr 18, 2015
I hope all y'all who disparaged my great state can apologize. NY doesn't make mistakes. We just occasionally produce them.

ShakaSway

The Unintentional Voice of Reason
Oct 18, 2015
Not sure how I feel about Pettis taking that big swig of water in their face as an apparent “fuck you”. Seems like they were trying to be reasonable about it, as misinformed as they are with the 3-5 round thing.