General Electile Dysfunction: an election that lasts longer than 4 days is a serious medical problem

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Freeloading Rusty

Here comes Rover, sniffin’ at your ass
Jan 11, 2016
Last edited:

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
It looks like Trump is laying the groundwork to duck the third debate as well.

View: https://twitter.com/steveholland1/status/1318272135291424769?s=21

I like that they are angry that the mic will be cut after the allotted time, arguing that is editorial control for enforcing the rule.

But if the letter accusations are true, it is concerning. Is the debate previously supposed to be a foreign policy debate?
I can find nothing that says so.
But I did find...Historically, apparently the third debate is where foreign policy questions are usually placed.
With the canceling of the second debate, this usual A,B,C order has been upended.
Indeed, I find articles from a week ago that suggests the moderators do in fact pick the debate topics and do so based on polls of American voter interest (them ratings tho!):

1603209152225.png

Topics form the Trump team letter:
COVID19
American Families
Race in America
National Security*
Leadership*

*topics that reasonably shoehorn into foreign policy on the surface

Topics that have strength for one party or another...

1603209313815.png

Frankly, neither side gives a shit nearly as much about Foreign Policy this year.

What's interesting is that the Dems hold a party preference on many of the major issues, and by a longer shot in many cases.

If you were a gun supporting, tough on terrorism, Democrat, you'd probably win most of the country.

ThatOneDude

Commander in @Chief, Dick Army
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
If you were a gun supporting, tough on terrorism, Democrat, you'd probably win most of the country.
They can't be that or the extremists in their party will poo poo all over them.

But we both know plenty of dems in Texas who are gun owners.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
They can't be that or the extremists in their party will poo poo all over them.
1603210435437.png

I think the war for gun owners is being lost due to the "give no inch" policies championed by the NRA and following that adopted broadly by graded politicians. The lobbying effort was very successful in changing political choices.

But...we are nearly at same opinions as the crime wave of the late 80s. AKA support for banning assault weapons, big national focus, etc.

The reckoning for us is coming. And instead of nudging to anything that will prevent the big pendulum swing, things are locked. And as soon as the swing happens, and it always does, it will go very far.

If gun owners don't make appeals to non gun owners, to hearing their thoughts, to offering solutions to their concerns, bans will come as a one size fits all solution.

ThatOneDude

First 100
Jan 14, 2015
If gun owners don't make appeals to non gun owners, to hearing their thoughts, to offering solutions to their concerns, bans will come as a one size fits all solution.
That's really hard to do when most non-gun owners are extremely uneducated on firearms and self defense in general.
But as a responsible gun owner I try to take open minded liberals shooting whenever I get a chance. I have even helped a few purchase firearms, like some silly DDM pistols.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
1603210825080.png

Every single age group, gender, and education thinks we should have more strict gun laws right now.
The only inverse to this is political affiliation.

1603210841517.png

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
That's really hard to do when most non-gun owners are extremely uneducated on firearms and self defense in general.
But as a responsible gun owner I try to take open minded liberals shooting whenever I get a chance. I have even helped a few purchase firearms, like some silly DDM pistols.
What's the percent of crime guns that are straw purchases?
It's 50%!!!
When was the last time the GOP (the outlier on gun opinion) made a large vocal push to crack down on this, letting everyone know that reducing gun deaths and crime matters across the aisle? What about public health campaigns on safe firearm storage
instead GOP in Florida banned doctors from reminding parents that kids start walking and can find guns in the back of the closet...court later overturned this on free speech grounds
? Why did we remove all federal funding to study things so we have modern data on these topics?

What gun laws are harmless to you but beneficial to someone else?
Waiting period has evidence of reducing suicides and domestic violence. Cost? It's super annoying. I'd give you better studies on this, but as above, data comes from universities because... WE CUT ALL THE FEDERAL FUNDING TO FIND OUT WHAT WORKS WTF

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
I think we need to actively enforce the current laws as we have them.
see my post above.
For those politicians currently out of step with national opinion, that's been a popular statement backed with no action.
And I'm telling you, if we don't get them to act on stuff like that, very strongly, very publicly, the reckoning is coming my friend.

ThatOneDude

First 100
Jan 14, 2015
What's the percent of crime guns that are straw purchases?
It's half!!!
When was the last time the GOP (the outlier on gun opinion) made a large vocal push to crack down on this, letting everyone know that reducing gun deaths and crime matters across the aisle? What about public health campaigns on safe firearm storage
instead GOP in Florida banned doctors from reminding parents that kids start walking and can find guns in the back of the closet...court later overturned this on free speech grounds
? Why did we remove all federal funding to study things so we have modern data on these topics?

What gun laws are harmless to you but beneficial to someone else?
Waiting period has evidence of reducing suicides and domestic violence. Cost? It's super annoying. I'd give you better studies on this, but as above, data comes from universities because... WE CUT ALL THE FEDERAL FUNDING TO FIND OUT WHAT WORKS WTF
Did not know that about the straw purchases, but thats not the only gun laws.
That's stupid, a kid is a big change and I'm sure lots of things can be over looked, a reminder to lock up your guns should not be a bad thing.
Waiting periods are fine with me as long as they aren't excessive. I don't have a waiting period because I have passed a stricter background check to obtain my LTC.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Did not know that about the straw purchases, but thats not the only gun laws.
Nearly all crime guns are straw purchases or stolen. It's something like 90% between the two of them... about half and half.

We have resources to do drug stings and prostitution stings (lol robert kraft!... By the way did you ever read about that? They placed the cameras by calling in a bomb threat to clear out the massage parlor seriously) But we aren't putting the fear of God into people's making straw purchases?

And if so many other crime guns are stolen, a public health campaign focused on safe firearm storage and making it kind of a peer pressure and socially unacceptable thing broadly, is proven to work in other areas to change behavior. You and I talk rationally about securing firearms and safe behavior. This is not the norm though, sadly.
It should be difficult to steal so many guns that it results in 50% of the crime guns. And yet...

ThatOneDude

First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Nearly all crime guns are straw purchases or stolen. It's something like 90% between the two of them... about half and half.

We have resources to do drug stings and prostitution stings (lol robert kraft!... By the way did you ever read about that? They placed the cameras by calling in a bomb threat to clear out the massage parlor seriously) But we aren't putting the fear of God into people's making straw purchases?

And if so many other crime guns are stolen, a public health campaign focused on safe firearm storage and making it kind of a peer pressure and socially unacceptable thing broadly, is proven to work in other areas to change behavior. You and I talk rationally about securing firearms and safe behavior. This is not the norm though, sadly.
It should be difficult to steal so many guns that it results in 50% of the crime guns. And yet...
Oh my B, I thought you meant a half percent and that threw off my understanding of the rest of your post.
I think we are aligned in this.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Splinty @Splinty what additional gun laws do you think we need? Not trying to bait you, genuinely curious.
Straw purchase enforcement, which might include investigating and/or shutting down gun shops that continually supply crime guns (again there are certain studies on this that show sometimes half a dozen shops are providing nearly all crime guns in a state and You have to ask why... Is it a blind eye to straw purchases? Is it that they are set up in high crime areas?). I dunno. Put some how a few shops create most of the problem? Why?

Public health campaigns on firearm storage, on removing guns from those with behavioral health issues, etc. My patients are regularly shocked that I recommend securing and removing firearms from the actively depressed family member in the house. Derp.

Firearms training classes in some regard. Other than the cost I have no ethical issue with making this mandatory. And quite frankly with the cost of a gun that isn't even really an issue to me. and I don't care that that's elitest a little bit. Spend 30 bucks and learn how to not kill yourself in others. Your ability to project deadly force at a distance makes me and your other neighbors have an interest in your behavior even outside your homes walls.

Suppressors expected to be used at the range. My hearing matters.

That's the first thing on my mind.

Most of our gun problems are cultural. But not all of them. Completion of suicide, completion of domestic murder, likelihood that your child will die all goes up dramatically with a gun in the house. Those wrists don't justify banning in my mind. They do justify mandatory training for safety and security.
And just because gangs are a primary source of gun crime, just means that both gangs shouldnt have guns and the root cause of gangs needs to be addressed. America's continued dichotomy of rich and poor black and white etc etc etc leads to this.

ThatOneDude

First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Straw purchase enforcement, which might include investigating and/or shutting down gun shops that continually supply crime guns (again there are certain studies on this that show sometimes half a dozen shops are providing nearly all crime guns in a state and You have to ask why... Is it a blind eye to straw purchases? Is it that they are set up in high crime areas?). I dunno. Put some how a few shops create most of the problem? Why?

Public health campaigns on firearm storage, on removing guns from those with behavioral health issues, etc. My patients are regularly shocked that I recommend securing and removing firearms from the actively depressed family member in the house. Derp.

Firearms training classes in some regard. Other than the cost I have no ethical issue with making this mandatory. And quite frankly with the cost of a gun that isn't even really an issue to me. and I don't care that that's the latest a little bit. Spend 30 bucks and learn how to not kill yourself in others. Your ability to project deadly force at a distance makes me and your other neighbors have an interest in your behavior even outside your homes walls.

Suppressors expected to be used at the range. My hearing matters.

That's the first thing on my mind.

Most of our gun problems are cultural. But not all of them. Completion of suicide, completion of domestic murder, likelihood that your child will die all goes up dramatically with a gun in the house. Those wrists don't justify banning in my mind. They do justify mandatory training for safety and security.
And just because gangs are a primary source of gun crime, just means that both gangs shouldnt have guns and the root cause of gangs needs to be addressed. America's continued dichotomy of rich and poor black and white etc etc etc leads to this.
My only issue with what you said it a bit of a conundrum. I agree that education is key to a lot of things, but how do you put an educational requirement on a constitutional right?

nuraknu

savage
Jul 20, 2016
The replies to this comment are an interesting discussion -

View: https://mobile.twitter.com/eugenegu/status/1318252029395890176

This might be one of the feathers in his cap that trump wants to talk about when he says he wants the debate to be about foreign policy. To see the responses, people are mad at the commenter because they seem to feel his tweets suggest the debt shouldn't have been forgiven, and they're mad at trump for making them pay the $335m to the U.S. when Sudan is so poor.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
My only issue with what you said it a bit of a conundrum. I agree that education is key to a lot of things, but how do you put an educational requirement on a constitutional right?

Supreme Court has made it very clear that both banning all guns is not possible and certain restrictions are allowed. Some states require training.

...but really who cares. I'm not a lawyer.

It should be so socially unacceptable to purchase a gun with no education and no training that you should feel like an idiot doing it. Some level of law is typically needed to socialize a policy, but in the end you must health campaign, peer pressure, and make it unacceptable socially to do otherwise.

ThatOneDude

First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Supreme Court has made it very clear that both banning all guns is not possible and certain restrictions are allowed. Some states require training.

...but really who cares. I'm not a lawyer.

It should be so socially unacceptable to purchase a gun with no education and no training that you should feel like an idiot doing it. Some level of law is typically needed to socialize a policy, but in the end you must health campaign, peer pressure, and make it unacceptable socially to do otherwise.
Peer pressure can be a good thing with this imo. It's why I've responded the way I have to certain individuals looking for advice on purchasing a firearm. It was very clear they had no idea what they were talking about and would probably end up hurting someone.

I also think we should get rid of the NFA requirement for silencers, which almost happened, but the uneducated clutched their pearls and pointed to fictitious movies as proof that silencers are dangerous and make everyone an assassin.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
The replies to this comment are an interesting discussion -

View: https://mobile.twitter.com/eugenegu/status/1318252029395890176

This might be one of the feathers in his cap that trump wants to talk about when he says he wants the debate to be about foreign policy. To see the responses, people are mad at the commenter because they seem to feel his tweets suggest the debt shouldn't have been forgiven, and they're mad at trump for making them pay the $335m to the U.S. when Sudan is so poor.
If Eugene Gu posts it, I go looking for a different source.

Gu is not currently a clinician and is not currently licensed to practice medicine in California, Arizona, Nevada or Oregon

In a series of viral tweets, Gu was accused of using a fake Twitter account under the name of Mary Laury to harass her and others.[28][29][30][31]

Gu and his wife divorced in October 2015.[32][33] His wife requested a one-month restraining order against him which was granted in February 2015, based on four allegations of domestic violence dating back to 2013, the last of which involved the police being called and Gu being arrested in February 2015.[32]
The guy made a fake girlfriend account where he posted talking to himself (him playing himself and his fake girlfriend) and then used that fake girlfriend to stalk and harass his ex-girlfriend.

Guy seems just obsessed with being an anti-Trump twitter personality to his own detriment, even failing out of Residency.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
I think forgiving 90% of their debt was a good and ethical move that the USA should be using more often to soft power align more developing countries into our sphere of influence (realpolitik benefit via moral high ground!)
I think securing 10% as a token of responsibility towards those killed via supported terrorism is the right type of compromise for victims justice

Trump won this one imo.