General Oil crash thread

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
So Russia says they aren't backing off.
This hits Texas and Canada Shale.
Saudi wakes up today and says 'hold my beer' or something...with a 30% cut in price
Coronavirus decreases travel demands...

The result...

Did Saudi protect itself? Or is that Saudi giving Russia an FU from the USA? Yes this hits Texas shale a lot, but the US economy can eat the hit. Russian is much more reliant on oil exports.

M

member 3289

So Trump authorized the release of COVID-19 by a CIA operative in Wuhan?

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
So Trump authorized the release of COVID-19 by a CIA operative in Wuhan?
Correct. Bioengineered from HIV to attack those without neanderthal DNA. It is lying dormant waiting for 5G activation. The end goal, Chinese style martial law, end of social security, forced mass vaccinations, Bill Gates installing microsoft into your head. Early death. FEMA work camps. FROGS TURNING FRICKIN GAY.

sparkuri

Pulse On The Finger Of The Community
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Correct. Bioengineered from HIV to attack those without neanderthal DNA. It is lying dormant waiting for 5G activation. The end goal, Chinese style martial law, end of social security, forced mass vaccinations, Bill Gates installing microsoft into your head. Early death. FEMA work camps. FROGS TURNING FRICKIN GAY.
I knew it.

But it was Obama.

Thx Obama

Robbie Hart

All Biden Voters Are Mindless Sheep
Feb 13, 2015
The price will go up

Cartel will agree to cut production, they always do......There will be a point where they say “fack off non-cartel people and enjoy the price rises you numptys”

M

member 3289

It would be a very effective move. Inherently evil but undoubtedly effective.

Also it would be nice to analyze relationship between crude oil and gasoline prices. It seems like when the price of oil drops gasoline prices drop but only slowly, whereas when the price of oil rises gasoline prices rise immediately and more proportionally in comparison.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Cartel will agree to cut production, they always do......There will be a point where they say “fack off non-cartel people and enjoy the price rises you numptys”
Yeah EVENTUALLY, but that's exactly the opposite of what caused this. Russia refused to cut production so Saudis reminded them who had the cheaper oil. Russia will have to break and the USA and Canada will have to arrange a deal with Saudi to back off in a way that doesn't help Russia who started this.

In the mean time, futures show 30 bucks a barrel for the next two quarters. Investors think this is a 6+ month hit. That's HUGE down here in Texas

Freeloading Rusty

Here comes Rover, sniffin’ at your ass
Jan 11, 2016
Yeah EVENTUALLY, but that's exactly the opposite of what caused this. Russia refused to cut production so Saudis reminded them who had the cheaper oil. Russia will have to break and the USA and Canada will have to arrange a deal with Saudi to back off in a way that doesn't help Russia who started this.

In the mean time, futures show 30 bucks a barrel for the next two quarters. Investors think this is a 6+ month hit. That's HUGE down here in Texas
30$ barrels? So do we see a drop at the pumps?

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
eventually

As he said:

Also it would be nice to analyze relationship between crude oil and gasoline prices. It seems like when the price of oil drops gasoline prices drop but only slowly, whereas when the price of oil rises gasoline prices rise immediately and more proportionally in comparison.
It assume its future contracts and USA forced demand that do this. You've got product in the pipeline and limited refining capacity to get to all that cheap stuff. So price is up for a little. No one want to lower their gas price and you can't at first anyways. US consumer doesn't/can't price shop or gas abstain.
Price goes back up and there is probably some smart business calculus about the lack of elasticity in USA oil demand and everyone chases back up to the max selling point pretty fast.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Theoretically cheap gas == American consumers spend on other stuff, but down here I've never seen that be the economic picture. Oil crash means job losses and the ripple down from that is bigger than the freed up capital

Theoretically cheap gas == American consumers spend on other stuff, but down here I've never seen that be the economic picture. Oil crash means job losses and the ripple down from that is bigger than the freed up capital

ShatsBassoon @ShatsBassoon is moving down this way.

I love the Canuck accent...Yeah...But...Right...Glorious

Papi Chingon

Domesticated Hombre
Oct 19, 2015
Can't wait for $2/gallon gas! I've been itching to drive my car like I stole it on a consistent basis.

BrunoMcGyver

Bruno no dey carry last
Dec 30, 2015
Can't wait for $2/gallon gas! I've been itching to drive my car like I stole it on a consistent basis.
Yeh man. I came a bee's dick to storming out of my desk job and doing Uber Eats full-time, then I realise I drive an SUV now so probably a shit idea

Papi Chingon

Domesticated Hombre
Oct 19, 2015
Yeh man. I came a bee's dick to storming out of my desk job and doing Uber Eats full-time, then I realise I drive an SUV now so probably a shit idea
I bought a v8 sportscar in November and driving it like a homosexual gets me about 16 miles per gallon, so I really need to calculate when I should mash the gas pedal since that brings me down to around 8mpg.

Hauler

Been fallin so long it's like gravitys gone
Feb 3, 2016
Yes.
Also a good buying opportunity in the market.

But overall it isn't good news. If production is cut it can have a huge trickle down effect that isn't pretty.

Sheepdog

Protecting America from excessive stool loitering
Dec 1, 2015

I think the Saudis might be underestimating the hit Russia is willing to take to land some blows of its own. I'm not saying Russia won't blink but I've seen some pretty dumb analysis comparing this situation to 2014 as if it's exactly equivalent.

It's the Saudis who are in a bind. Their military protector is their energy enemy. They might have a big weapon against Russia but they are also turning it on themselves and their ally too. The Russians have a much simpler calculation - how much are we willing to endure to try and knock out the US shale industry and damage the finance that keeps it alive while hurting the US-Saudi alliance at the same time? That calcultion is the same as it was in 2014.

But this isn't 2014. The entire system of capital that props up the US shale industry is on shaky legs and it had already grown tired of keeping shale on life support. And this isn't simply about oil economics - Russia would realize how much potential damage could be done to the wider US economy under these circumstances and would thus be more willing to endure damage to their own.

Previously it was Russia's entire shaky economy vs a single industry propped up by a strong economy. Now it's shaky economy vs shaky economy. That changes the calculus.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Previously it was Russia's entire shaky economy vs a single industry propped up by a strong economy. Now it's shaky economy vs shaky economy. That changes the calculus.

Yeah I'm seeing the exposure in stock and futures this am. Looks like credit driven buy backs are now dead in the water. There could be a 30-40% stock hit on this aspect alone for larger s&p 500 that has been focused on this for the last 2 years with big buybacks keeping you stock prices.

ShatsBassoon

Throwing bombs & banging moms
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
ShatsBassoon @ShatsBassoon is moving down this way.

I love the Canuck accent...Yeah...But...Right...Glorious
Bank of canada lowered interest rates so Canadians can rack up more debt.

In the short term it'll be good for my business and hopefully we wont lose our shirts when we go to sell our house.