General Olympics Disaster RBR.

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

FINGERS

TMMAC Addict
Nov 14, 2019

John Lee Pettimore

Further south than you
May 18, 2021
This is fake news. Dangerous stuff you’re peddling there.
Actually yes, it is fake, in the sense that they are not explicitly used to discourage hookups (though hookup culture is being discouraged relative to most Olympics, due to covid.)

In fact, they are recyclable.

Fake News!

Well, I did put "apparently" as a qualifier, and also questioned the validity by pointing out that the given rationale doesn't make sense, citing vast differences in bodyweight between athletes from different sports.

Sooooo.......... there's that. ?

??

Sheepdog

Protecting America from excessive stool loitering
Dec 1, 2015
Can anyone explain why they didn't just try hosting the games in 2022?

What the fuck is the difference between delaying it by two years instead of one? At least the Japanese population will be vaccinated by then and the domestic backlash would be less extreme.

John Lee Pettimore

Further south than you
May 18, 2021

What the fuck is the difference between delaying it by two years instead of one? At least the Japanese population will be vaccinated by then and the domestic backlash would be less extreme.
Runs up against the Winter Olympics and the soccer World Cup, I'd assume.

That, or possibly it would fuck up the process of qualification for 2024?

Also, I assume you can't just put the host country on ice like that, just because of how much goes into hosting and planning for the Olympics.

??

Sheepdog

Dec 1, 2015
Runs up against the Winter Olympics and the soccer World Cup, I'd assume.

That, or possibly it would fuck up the process of qualification for 2024?

Also, I assume you can't just put the host country on ice like that, just because of how much goes into hosting and planning for the Olympics.

??
'You can't put the host country on ice'

It's 2021 mate, we've already done that. Again, 1 year, 2 years, what's the difference?

Winter olympics is in...winter. Summer olympics is in...summer.

World cup would be an issue but they could schedule around it.

I understand that 2022 is not ideal. I also understand what they are trying to do right now is far less ideal.

John Lee Pettimore

Further south than you
May 18, 2021
'You can't put the host country on ice'

It's 2021 mate, we've already done that. Again, 1 year, 2 years, what's the difference?

Winter olympics is in...winter. Summer olympics is in...summer.

World cup would be an issue but they could schedule around it.

I understand that 2022 is not ideal. I also understand what they are trying to do right now is far less ideal.
Well, 1 year or two years makes a big difference when you're planning, budgeting for and building stadiums, hotels, transportation networks etc.

And I don't think it's quite as simple as "they can just schedule around the World Cup." Realistically, none of us have any idea the contractual, organizational or logistical hurdles that have to be cleared. The Olympics involves many thousands of people and hundreds of millions of dollars, it's not like delaying a work Christmas social by a couple of weeks.

??

Sheepdog

Dec 1, 2015
Well, 1 year or two years makes a big difference when you're planning, budgeting for and building stadiums, hotels, transportation networks etc.

And I don't think it's quite as simple as "they can just schedule around the World Cup." Realistically, none of us have any idea the contractual, organizational or logistical hurdles that have to be cleared. The Olympics involves many thousands of people and hundreds of millions of dollars, it's not like delaying a work Christmas social by a couple of weeks.

??
Yes, there are plenty of issues. Just like there are plenty of issues in delaying it for a year.

Jesus X

4 drink minimum.
Sep 7, 2015
from a performance standpoint those mattresses look very shitty like prison mattresses

FINGERS

TMMAC Addict
Nov 14, 2019

Because we need to move on now.

Covid is bad. It's not going away. But we have to move on. We have to show the terrified folk that life goes on.

The Olympics is a very small start. Shame we can't have fans in. But 19 months later we have to move on. No better way than a global sporting event.

Historians will look back at this time as if we were morons.

John Lee Pettimore

Further south than you
May 18, 2021
Yes, there are plenty of issues. Just like there are plenty of issues in delaying it for a year.
Yeah, I have no clue what kind of corporate bullshit gets affected. Must be a nightmare, though. How many massive contracts were signed, and then the company goes "we don't want to spend that money in 2022, we're releasing a new car in 2021, not 2022."

I can't see how delaying it another year wouldn't make all the problems with the business stuff exponentially worse, though. ?

??

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
Because we need to move on now.

Covid is bad. It's not going away. But we have to move on. We have to show the terrified folk that life goes on.

The Olympics is a very small start. Shame we can't have fans in. But 19 months later we have to move on. No better way than a global sporting event.

Historians will look back at this time as if we were morons.
sure.

the pandemic is about "moving on from fear".

LoL

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
Yeah, I have no clue what kind of corporate bullshit gets affected. Must be a nightmare, though. How many massive contracts were signed, and then the company goes "we don't want to spend that money in 2022, we're releasing a new car in 2021, not 2022."

I can't see how delaying it another year wouldn't make all the problems with the business stuff exponentially worse, though. ?

??
the Olympics are a massive financial loss for the host country regardless.
can't imagine how bad it for Japan to add a year of lost revenue and the opportunity cost of that lost income on top.

Sheepdog

Dec 1, 2015
the Olympics are a massive financial loss for the host country regardless.
can't imagine how bad it for Japan to add a year of lost revenue and the opportunity cost of that lost income on top.
Australia's 3rd largest city was just given the 2032 olympics basically unopposed because most of the shit required is already built.

Cities are at least starting to wake up to how much of a cunt they are to run.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
Australia's 3rd largest city was just given the 2032 olympics basically unopposed because most of the shit required is already built.

Cities are at least starting to wake up to how much of a cunt they are to run.
i hope society wakes up to the slavery of "amateur" sports.