OMG Trumps actually going to build the wall

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

IschKabibble

TMMAC Addict
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
So this wall is going to cost you guys like $7 million per mile of wall.
You mean Mexico?

White House Floats 20 Percent Tax on Mexican Imports to Pay for Border Wall: White House Spokesman

White House Press Secretary Sean Spicer said Thursday afternoon that President Donald Trump was not formally proposing a 20 percent tax on Mexican imports to pay for his controversial border wall, but rather considering it among a menu of options.

"The goal today is not to be prescriptive. It's to basically say: hey, here is a way in which the wall can be paid for extremely easy and not say 'this is what we're doing,'" Spicer told reporters. "This is not what we're rolling out."

Spicer's clarification came after an earlier statement signaling Trump favored the policy and had discussed the plan with congressional Republican leaders as part of a broader tax reform effort. Chief of Staff Reince Priebus said the 20 percent tax on Mexican imports is one of a "buffet of options."

"When you look at the plan that's taking shape now, using comprehensive tax reform as a means to tax imports from countries that we have a trade deficit from, like Mexico, if you tax that $50 billion at 20 percent of imports … By doing that we can do $10 billion a year and easily pay for the wall just through that mechanism alone. That's really going to provide the funding," Spicer said, calling it "ridiculous" to tax exports but let imports flow freely in.

Trump later was asked by NBC News about the 20 percent import tax and replied, "We're going to tax people coming in. Look, we cannot lose our companies to Mexico or any other place and then have them make the product and just send it across our border free. We're going to put a substantial tax on those countries."

Trump floats 20 percent tax on Mexican imports to pay for border wall

Yossarian

TMMAC Addict
Oct 25, 2015
You mean Mexico?

White House Floats 20 Percent Tax on Mexican Imports to Pay for Border Wall: White House Spokesman

White House Press Secretary Sean Spicer said Thursday afternoon that President Donald Trump was not formally proposing a 20 percent tax on Mexican imports to pay for his controversial border wall, but rather considering it among a menu of options.

"The goal today is not to be prescriptive. It's to basically say: hey, here is a way in which the wall can be paid for extremely easy and not say 'this is what we're doing,'" Spicer told reporters. "This is not what we're rolling out."

Spicer's clarification came after an earlier statement signaling Trump favored the policy and had discussed the plan with congressional Republican leaders as part of a broader tax reform effort. Chief of Staff Reince Priebus said the 20 percent tax on Mexican imports is one of a "buffet of options."

"When you look at the plan that's taking shape now, using comprehensive tax reform as a means to tax imports from countries that we have a trade deficit from, like Mexico, if you tax that $50 billion at 20 percent of imports … By doing that we can do $10 billion a year and easily pay for the wall just through that mechanism alone. That's really going to provide the funding," Spicer said, calling it "ridiculous" to tax exports but let imports flow freely in.

Trump later was asked by NBC News about the 20 percent import tax and replied, "We're going to tax people coming in. Look, we cannot lose our companies to Mexico or any other place and then have them make the product and just send it across our border free. We're going to put a substantial tax on those countries."

We can't totally ignore that these imports will be more expensive for us, so inderictly we will at least in some ways, be paying for that wall.. not that I would mind it, you can always choose to get products made in other countries.

Freeloading Rusty

Here comes Rover, sniffin’ at your ass
Jan 11, 2016
You mean Mexico?

So if you guys are going to slap an import tax on Mexican goods, do you think the Mexican govt will slap an import tax on American goods?

Get ready to pay more. If so, the average American's cost of goods and services is going to increase.

M

member 3289

So if you guys are going to slap an import tax on Mexican goods, do you think the Mexican govt will slap an import tax on American goods?

Get ready to pay more. If so, the average American's cost of goods and services is going to increase.
Yeah bc Mexico is going to fucking strong-arm us economically lol

Qat

QoQ
Nov 3, 2015
Yeah bc Mexico is going to fucking strong-arm us economically lol
China and Europe might. IschKabibble @IschKabibble already joked about Mexico closing in on China, well, lets see where this goes.
The EU even acted immediately and got to the Japanese before Trump, and are seeing chances in the whole pacific region, including Australia and NZ, now that Trump bowed out of there. Canada and the EU are getting closer too (even though I still hope they scratch some shit out of CETA).
I read a report he is proposing a no-fly-zone in Syria, which would piss Putin right off as well.

You might have a strong economic coalition going against you soon, apart from the UK. Interesting times.

The UK leaving will make things like a united military in Europe much easier, they were blocking a lot, not only there. If Trump fucks up NATO, it will have to happen anyway. 'We will have to shed our pacifism somewhat. Which is actually why I highly doubt he will, he doesn't want a stronger Europe, that shows. But it might create the opposite effect.
There are vacuums forming and opportunities everywhere.
Power might be shifting tremendously.

Not to forget that the moralistic leadership might shift as well, meaning, the brightest minds might think twice to go to Trump-canyon or Farage-land, and instead go to the EU or even China.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Not to forget that the moralistic leadership might shift as well, meaning, the brightest minds might think twice to go to Trump-canyon or Farage-land, and instead go to the EU or even China.

M

member 3289

China and Europe might. IschKabibble @IschKabibble already joked about Mexico closing in on China, well, lets see where this goes.
The EU even acted immediately and got to the Japanese before Trump, and are seeing chances in the whole pacific region, including Australia and NZ, now that Trump bowed out of there. Canada and the EU are getting closer too (even though I still hope they scratch some shit out of CETA).
I read a report he is proposing a no-fly-zone in Syria, which would piss Putin right off as well.

You might have a strong economic coalition going against you soon, apart from the UK. Interesting times.

The UK leaving will make things like a united military in Europe much easier, they were blocking a lot, not only there. If Trump fucks up NATO, it will have to happen anyway. 'We will have to shed our pacifism somewhat. Which is actually why I highly doubt he will, he doesn't want a stronger Europe, that shows. But it might create the opposite effect.

You're out of your fucking mind if you think I'm reading all this shit.

Qat

QoQ
Nov 3, 2015
You're out of your fucking mind if you think I'm reading all this shit.
China and Europe might. @IschKabibble already joked about Mexico closing in on China, well, lets see where this goes.

Qat

QoQ
Nov 3, 2015
Its really not that creative, La Paix @Kelly.

If America backs down from their international role, power-vacuums are created, fact.
These need to be filled in some capacity. Who can fill em on a larger scale? Only the EU, Russia, China, basically.

Trump tries to weaken Europe in various ways, which could backfire and instead unite us. Would even force us to do so if Nato is indeed obsolete. The UK is just a chess-piece.
US-China relations worsen by the day. China and the EU already have signalled they will deepen their partnership. Asia and the Pacific region are full of opportunity for Europe. And Latin-America is up for the taking too, being handled like that from Trump.

I do believe though that the Syria-no-fly-zone stuff is a ruse. They are trying to make people believe there are new tensions and in a bit you will hear about absolutely fantastic diplomacy and a nice outcome with big pats on the back for Trump and Putin alike. Helps both of em.

Last edited:

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
Canada and the EU are getting closer too (even though I still hope they scratch some shit out of CETA)
2 things.

1) Like what specifically?
2) Unless Trump tries to completely fuck us on NAFTA, our trade with them will likely improve.

Qat

QoQ
Nov 3, 2015
2 things.

1) Like what specifically?
2) Unless Trump tries to completely fuck us on NAFTA, our trade with them will likely improve.
1) All the extra-judicial stuff and zombie-clauses for starters.
2) Your trade with both can improve, win-win for you guys. Not a loss for us either though. :)

Qat

QoQ
Nov 3, 2015
You're buying the "zombie clause" BS?
Are you saying it was never in there or it was changed? Because it definitely was, maybe I missed something that it was scratched already.

Not a fan of the ratchet-clauses either. And I think it should not be something that just stands forever, but should be up for real review (not reviews in backrooms), every couple of years.

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
Are you saying it was never in there or it was changed? Because it definitely was, maybe I missed something that it was scratched already.
I'm saying the idea that people should be upset about a business not having to fold the second a contract expires is BS. Think of it this way, Some Canadian company opens a factory and you work there. Something happens and CETA is voided. Without the "zombie clause" you'd find yourself immediately out of work. That window allows a business time to transition out instead of just cut and running. Not to mention the possibility of losing an entire industry and what that might do to an economy.

and it goes both ways if SIG Sauer opens a factory here (they have a Canadian military contract) and the CND government decides they want out of the deal, I don't want to see all of those people immediately out of work.

Qat

QoQ
Nov 3, 2015
I'm saying the idea that people should be upset about a business not having to fold the second a contract expires is BS. Think of it this way, Some Canadian company opens a factory and you work there. Something happens and CETA is voided. Without the "zombie clause" you'd find yourself immediately out of work. That window allows a business time to transition out instead of just cut and running. Not to mention the possibility of losing an entire industry and what that might do to an economy.

and it goes both ways if SIG Sauer opens a factory here (they have a Canadian military contract) and the CND government decides they want out of the deal, I don't want to see all of those people immediately out of work.
Oh no I agree with that, a termination with notice should not be from today to tomorrow anyway. Just like other orderly contracts are terminated. UK leaving the EU will take about 2 years. And that is a way bigger deal than CETA.

But additional 20 fucking years of time to sue the shit out of countries in some backroom court? Come on. You know who put that in there and why. Its not for the people.