ONE Championship CEO: Goal is to put on 50 shows per year

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
http://www.mmafighting.com/2015/3/1...nship-ceo-goal-is-to-put-on-50-shows-per-year

"Thought the UFC's achievement of running more than 40 events per year was ambitious? ONE Championship plans on topping that figure.

ONE CEO Victor Cui told MMAFighting.com this week that his organization's goal is to run 50 events per year and he believes that could happen by 2017. ONE Championship: Age of Champions takes place Friday in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.

"Just imagine it this way: You would have ONE Championship on television live every Friday of the entire year," Cui said. "So it would become ubiquitous across Asia. Every bar that you go to on a Friday night will be watching us."

Critics have described the UFC's growing business model oversaturation. A decline in pay-per-view buyrates and television ratings have somewhat proven that -- at least before recent trends have seen an upturn.

But Cui is quick to remind that the UFC is still mainly a U.S. company, though it will run nearly half its events in international venues in 2015.

"[Oversaturation] makes sense if we were doing 50 events in one country," Cui said. "But we're doing 50 events all around Asia."

ONE is running 10 events in China this year alone and Cui said even the smallest of those cities has more than 5 million people. If ONE did 20 events per year in China, Cui said every single city would have a population of 5 million or more......"

dacofty

Yea..Ok..Whatever
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
I have yet to watch a OneFC event. I wonder if dish carries them if not anyone know where on the net to watch. I suspect after seeing that picture that its not a small event neither.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Oh man ONE FC is very entertaining. Great rule set and lots of exciting fights.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Friday night fights for up and comers with a mid level main event. Once a month huge shows. That would be great.

Even better? Give me a flat monthly fee for access via internet

Zeph

TMMAC Addict
Jan 22, 2015
Friday night fights for up and comers with a mid level main event. Once a month huge shows. That would be great.

Even better? Give me a flat monthly fee for access via internet
You realize this is pretty much the UFC's plan?

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
You realize this is pretty much the UFC's plan?
But its not.

They have fractured their viewing into 4884367228 different sources. Its tough to follow. Theres no 'netflix' effect of coalescing all of it to one location.

Their ppv came way too often until recently. DONT do 2 ppv in a month. Dont spread your main cards all over.

I think that UFC has missed the core portion of my point. You can't purchase singular access and ppv are not stacked consistently.
You currently need fightpass and ppv and fox and fox sports to watch the UFC.

Zeph

TMMAC Addict
Jan 22, 2015
But its not.

They have fractured their viewing into 4884367228 different sources. Its tough to follow. Theres no 'netflix' effect of coalescing all of it to one location.

Their ppv came way too often until recently. DONT do 2 ppv in a month. Dont spread your main cards all over.

I think that UFC has missed the core portion of my point. You can't purchase singular access and ppv are not stacked consistently.
You currently need fightpass and ppv and fox and fox sports to watch the UFC.
I concede the point on diversification of the product distribution and it wasn't what I was referring to, sorry I should have been more clear. I was referring to the amount of shows and the idea of building fighters on free cards with a mid-level headliner. There was 12 PVP's in the 2014 calendar year, which is exactly what you suggested, although it doesn't always work out to 1 every 4 weeks.

What One Championship is proposing, isn't so much different from the UFC, the only way I believe the UFC have gone wrong implementing it, is by having too large of roster. If they had stayed at around 400 fighters, then guys would be fighting more often and you'd have almost 1/3 less names to remember. At the moment, guys are fighting 2 times a year, 3 if they are lucky, but plenty would like to fight more and it hurts their image with the fans.