One FC to ban dehydration weight cutting in January

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

SC MMA MD

TMMAC Addict
Jan 20, 2015

If you're going to compete for ONE Championship, Asia's preeminent mixed martial arts (MMA) promotion, you're going to have to part ways with the sauna. In fact, you can also say goodbye to the rubber suit and stationary bike, as the days of dehydrating yourself to make weight are official over.

The new program will introduce "walking-weight" competition by way of multiple weigh-ins, as well as tests before and during fight week, including three hours before an event begins. Hopefully, that will eliminate any dramatic fluctuations on the scale.

Or worse.

"ONE Championship has paved the way for MMA in Asia and we have always been at the forefront of innovation for the sport. By banning weight cutting by dehydration, we are leading the way globally for enhanced safety standards for professional MMA athletes," CEO of ONE Championship Victor Cui said.

"We believe that through the implementation of this new weigh-in program, our fighters will enjoy a safer and healthier life inside and outside of the cage. I invite the other two major global MMA organizations, Bellator and UFC, to follow in our footsteps to protect athletes and to eliminate the process of weight cutting by dehydration."

LINK: ONE Championship bans weight cutting by dehydration, challenges UFC to follow suit

Last edited by a moderator:

Virtually Identical

Posting Machine
Jul 12, 2015
ONE CHAMPIONSHIP™ ANNOUNCES NEW WEIGH-IN PROGRAM

Athletes will now compete at their "walking-weight", which will be determined by a robust system that will track his/her weight on a regular basis throughout the period that the athlete is contracted to ONE. Full details of the new weigh-in program can be found below.

The revolutionary weigh-in program was established after thorough discussions and recommendations by ONE Championship's medical and competition team, consisting of Chief Doctor Dr. Warren Wang, Chief Medical Advisor Dr. James Okamoto, Vice President Mr. Rich Franklin, Vice President of Operations & Competition Mr. Matt Hume, Global Athlete Services & Competition Director Mr. Richard Auty and China Athlete Services & Competition Director Mr. Vaughn Anderson.

CEO of ONE Championship™ Victor Cui stated, “ONE Championship has paved the way for MMA in Asia and we have always been at the forefront of innovation for the sport. By banning weight cutting by dehydration, we are leading the way globally for enhanced safety standards for professional MMA athletes. We believe that through the implementation of this new weigh-in program, our fighters will enjoy a safer and healthier life inside and outside of the cage. I invite the other two major global MMA organizations, Bellator and UFC, to follow in our footsteps to protect athletes and to eliminate the process of weight cutting by dehydration."

Vice President of ONE Championship™ Rich Franklin stated, "Today I'm proud to have been involved with developing the new weigh-in program for ONE athletes. As a former MMA champion, I've been through the process of weight-cutting by dehydration countless times and I know first-hand how it affects an athlete physically. I personally understand the importance of safety and competing at your very best as a professional MMA athlete and after reviewing the new regulations and policies governing the weigh-in procedures and contracted weight limits, this new program does both for our athletes."

Vice President of Operations & Competition of ONE Championship™ Matt Hume stated, "The safety of our athletes is the top priority of ONE. After bringing in top medical officials from both the USA and Asia, we believe we have put together the best possible weigh-in program in combat sports. This program will revolutionize the way weigh-ins are conducted around the world and we look forward to the positive outcome it will have on safety standards related to weight-cutting globally."

ONE FC - News - ONE CHAMPIONSHIP ANNOUNCES NEW WEIGH-IN PROGRAM

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Just protecting their champ!!

Just kidding, but I can see that being argued now.

The actual details of the plan:

1. Athletes must submit their current walking weight and daily training weight regularly. Athletes will input and track their daily weight online via a dedicated web portal. Athletes may input data weekly but must include daily weights.

2. Athletes will be assigned to their weight class based on collated data and random weight checks. Athletes are not allowed to drop a weight class when less than 8 weeks out from an event.

3. During fight week, weights are checked daily. Urine specific gravity will also be checked the day after arrival and 3 hours prior to the event. Athletes must be within their weight class and pass specific gravity hydration tests all week and up to 3 hours before the event. If an athlete falls outside the weight, or fails a test, they are disqualified from the event. Doctors may request additional testing at their discretion.

4. Catch weight bouts are allowed. However, the athlete with the higher weight will not be heavier than 105% of the lighter opponent’s weight.

5. ONE will conduct random weight checks on athletes at our discretion.

6. Athletes may petition to change weight classes outside of the 8-week competition zone and must be within their new desired weight at that time. In addition, athletes must pass a specific gravity urine test when their weight is within the limits of the newly petitioned weight class. ONE doctors can request additional testing to determine the amount of weight drop allowed over a specific time.

7. The usage of IVs for the purpose of rehydration will not be allowed.

Overage and limits of weight reduction:

· 3 weeks to event day: Athlete must be within contracted weight class

· 4 weeks: 1.5% bodyweight over max

· 5 weeks: 3%

· 6 weeks: 4.5%

· 7 weeks: 6%

· 8 weeks: +6% max over.

(ONE Chief Doctor may approve up to +/- 0.5% maximum error in any weekly weight check)

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Seems crazy to expect them to be at goal weight and SG 3 weeks out.

The average athlete and person will likely accidentally be dehydrated by SG in that period.Wonder if the range will be pretty large? Or if they are basically saying 'tough shit, better not forget your gatorade'

I've linked a study in the past that showed a huge percentage of amateur soccer players walk onto the field with an out of range SG. This is not due to cutting, but just athletes not being super conscientious about hydrating.

What if they come do an SG right after a grueling workout?

I could see one week out, but maybe they need this time to remarket failed cards or catchweights?

Still good to see SOMETHING being tried.

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
That's pretty strict. My weight will drop more than that over a camp without cutting.

Zeph

TMMAC Addict
Jan 22, 2015
I think this is a step in the right direction, and the way I would like the UFC to go. With some refinement to the actual numbers, gained from knowledge of the working experience of the program, it could be the foundation for similar programs across the sport.

Treadstone06

I got 2 words for ya...
Apr 20, 2015
Interesting. Most people on here never thought this would happen did they? At first thought, I think I like it.

WineDineSixty-Nine

Nov 1, 2015
As the organization where the death occurred some type of action was to be expected. It seems like this will be difficult to implement and still pull events off smoothly.

SC MMA MD

TMMAC Addict
Jan 20, 2015
The SG testing is just the week of the event, correct? I do think that repeated random SG tests are likely to result in failures/disqualifications from normal workouts/sweating etc. It is a good start though, and hopefully will be refined as this program progresses.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
The SG testing is just the week of the event, correct? I do think that repeated random SG tests are likely to result in failures/disqualifications from normal workouts/sweating etc. It is a good start though, and hopefully will be refined as this program progresses.

You are correct. I read it wrong.

Apr 3, 2015
GENERAL REGULATIONS & POLICIES

RELATED TO ATHLETES’ WEIGHT

1. Athletes must submit their current walking weight and daily training weight regularly. Athletes will input and track their daily weight online via a dedicated web portal. Athletes may input data weekly but must include daily weights.

2. Athletes will be assigned to their weight class based on collated data and random weight checks. Athletes are not allowed to drop a weight class when less than 8 weeks out from an event.

3. During fight week, weights are checked daily. Urine specific gravity will also be checked the day after arrival and 3 hours prior to the event. Athletes must be within their weight class and pass specific gravity hydration tests all week and up to 3 hours before the event. If an athlete falls outside the weight, or fails a test, they are disqualified from the event. Doctors may request additional testing at their discretion.

4. Catch weight bouts are allowed. However, the athlete with the higher weight will not be heavier than 105% of the lighter opponent’s weight.

5. ONE will conduct random weight checks on athletes at our discretion.

6. Athletes may petition to change weight classes outside of the 8-week competition zone and must be within their new desired weight at that time. In addition, athletes must pass a specific gravity urine test when their weight is within the limits of the newly petitioned weight class. ONE doctors can request additional testing to determine the amount of weight drop allowed over a specific time.

7. The usage of IVs for the purpose of rehydration will not be allowed.

Overage and limits of weight reduction:

· 3 weeks to event day: Athlete must be within contracted weight class

· 4 weeks: 1.5% bodyweight over max

· 5 weeks: 3%

· 6 weeks: 4.5%

· 7 weeks: 6%

· 8 weeks: +6% max over.

(ONE Chief Doctor may approve up to +/- 0.5% maximum error in any weekly weight check)

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Not perfect, but it's much better than whats out there now. Good for ONE for at least attempting to improve the process. My guess is it will get tweaked over time and end up being really good for the athletes.

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
When will they weigh them on the random surprise tests? An athlete can have a 5lb+ swing throughout the day. First thing in the morning after a bowel movement is different to 8pm after dinner and hydration

regular john

Muay Thai World Champion
May 21, 2015
wow this is huge!

maybe, just maybe, someone with a lot of money, after having seen a young man die under his wing, will be willing to have his business hurt in order to do the right thing.

HEATH VON DOOM

Remember the 5th of November
Oct 21, 2015
Fighters with more money and doctors to figure this out will have a distinct advantage. They will just figure out the test and adjust their training accordingly. Either that or you will have fighters constantly training dehydrated. Not perfect but weight cutting will always be part of the sport.

nick diaz is my nut hugger

Fiend

Evil All The Time
Feb 3, 2015
I like that! Now cut out drug testing and we may see some good fights!!