One-third of American 8th graders think Canada is a dictatorship

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Zeph

TMMAC Addict
Jan 22, 2015
mountie[1].jpg
The days of politically frustrated Americans declaring "That's it, I'm moving to Canada!" could soon be coming to an end — at least among teenagers who value freedom and equality.

According to the U.S. government's National Center for Education Statistics (NCES), 33 per cent of American eight graders currently believe that Canada is a dictatorship.

This finding was one of many revealed by the NCES in its 2014 National Assessment of Educational Progress report when it was released late last month.

Alternately called "The Nation's Report Card," the publication presents the results of standardized tests given to more than 29,000 eighth-grade students across the U.S. last year.

The students who participated in the assessment were given multiple-choice and open-ended questions pertaining to the subjects of U.S. history, geography and civics.

"National results for representative samples of students are reported as average scale scores and as percentages of students performing at three achievement levels: Basic, Proficient, and Advanced," reads the publication's description on the NCES website. "Additional results are reported based on students' demographic characteristics and educational experiences... Trend results are reported for previous assessment years in these three subjects."

Sample questions (and information about how students performed on them) can be viewed within an interactive online version of the report at NAEP - Nation's Report Card Home

It was here that reporters learned of how many young Americans may actually think Canada has more in common with North Korea, politically, than with our neighbours to the South.
Continued at: One-third of American 8th graders think Canada is a dictatorship - Trending - CBC News

Apr 3, 2015
no offense to the multitude of Americans on here, but for the most part, Americans are dumb as rocks when it comes to geography of Canada or the world for that matter.

everywhere I go in America and meet new people they ask where I am from, I tell them Vancouver BC (because god knows they dont know where Kelowna etc is) and they still dont know where that is. I get blank stares. so I end up saying "about 5 hours northeast of Seattle". even then that works only half the time.

jason73

Yuri Bezmenov was right
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
no offense to the multitude of Americans on here, but for the most part, Americans are dumb as rocks when it comes to geography of Canada or the world for that matter.

everywhere I go in America and meet new people they ask where I am from, I tell them Vancouver BC (because god knows they dont know where Kelowna etc is) and they still dont know where that is. I get blank stares. so I end up saying "about 5 hours northeast of Seattle". even then that works only half the time.
they are also under the impression that it is a frozen wasteland and mounties are riding around on moose chasing indians for taking too many beaver pelts

ThatOneDude

Commander in @Chief, Dick Army
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
they are also under the impression that it is a frozen wasteland and mounties are riding around on moose chasing indians for taking too many beaver pelts
Wait.... My of mean to tell me they aren't? Isn't Canada where the wildlings live?