General Only Electric Vehicles ??

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
???

"In total then, acquiring just these five elements to produce the 1,000-pound EV battery requires mining about 90,000 pounds of ore."

"Analyses show that manufacturing a single battery, one capable of holding energy that is equivalent to one barrel of oil, entails processes that use the energy equivalent of 100 barrels of oil."

View: https://twitter.com/lilo623/status/1613025676424261632?s=20&t=SIXLzgqy4zzcr1hjrAs1zA

Last edited:

Hauler

Been fallin so long it's like gravitys gone
Feb 3, 2016
California has the largest Lithium deposits in the world. It's nicknamed "Lithium Valley" and is being touted as "The Next Gold Rush"

That might explain California's insane push for EV.

Shocking right? It's all about the $$$.

crowbar

First 200
Jan 27, 2015
"A single Tesla battery weighing 1,000 pounds requires extracting and processing some 500,000 pounds of materials"

"In total then, acquiring just these five elements to produce the 1,000-pound EV battery requires mining about 90,000 pounds of ore."

I'm calling bullshit even though I have no knowledge on the subject.

Too many batteries have already been produced times 500,000 pounds of materials.

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
"A single Tesla battery weighing 1,000 pounds requires extracting and processing some 500,000 pounds of materials"

Too many batteries have already been produced times 500,000 pounds of materials.
It's not a 1:1 ratio where they are grabbing minerals. They pull out X tons to get X pounds.

Even worse - for Lithium, they need roughly 500,000 gallons of water to extract 1 ton of Lithium.

And they're planning on doing this in California? It's a good thing California never has issues with droughts.

Just like anything else California and the government is involved in - this will be a complete disaster.

Last edited:

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
Edit.
Info came from old article. Info no longer accurate.

Last edited:

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015

It takes 40 pounds of ore to make one of those flimsy metal cheap spoons and that spoon contains zero rare hard to mine elements.

Even if the 500,000 is high it is still a helluva lot of mining and processing to get what is needed for a brand new EV, and most of that processing isn't done with clean energy at all...Diesel is often what fuels a mining operation.

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
It takes 40 pounds of ore to make one of those flimsy metal cheap spoons and that spoon contains zero rare hard to mine elements.

Even if the 500,000 is high it is still a helluva lot of mining and processing to get what is needed for a brand new EV, and most of that processing isn't done with clean energy at all...Diesel is often what fuels a mining operation.
And the mining is much more harmful to Mother Earth than crude oil.

As usual, gov't will make the cure worse than the disease.

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
Ford cutting EV production due to shitty demand.

GM postponed a planned $4 billion EV plant by a year. That might be them just waiting on the election results. If Trump wins, the insane EV mandates will be dropped and there will be no need for massive EV production until the infrastructure on our highways can support them and the consumers decide that's what they want.

FINGERS

TMMAC Addict
Nov 14, 2019
Ford cutting EV production due to shitty demand.

GM postponed a planned $4 billion EV plant by a year. That might be them just waiting on the election results. If Trump wins, the insane EV mandates will be dropped and there will be no need for massive EV production until the infrastructure on our highways can support them and the consumers decide that's what they want.

Dude it makes sense to have renewable energy cars.

Fossile fuels is old tech.

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
Dude it makes sense to have renewable energy cars.

Fossile fuels is old tech.
"Renewable" might be a stretch. That only works if the electricity is being supplied by wind or solar or hydro.

I don't disagree that EVs are the future - although I think we'll land on hybrids. But the facts are we don't have the infrastructure to handle swapping to EVs yet. And for rural America - which makes up 97% of America's area and 18% of the population - there's quite literally zero infrastructure to facilitate such a change.

Once you start researching the minerals needed for these batteries and the processes in which they are mined, it's not the home run that's being pitched to the public.

FINGERS

TMMAC Addict
Nov 14, 2019
"Renewable" might be a stretch. That only works if the electricity is being supplied by wind or solar or hydro.

I don't disagree that EVs are the future - although I think we'll land on hybrids. But the facts are we don't have the infrastructure to handle swapping to EVs yet. And for rural America - which makes up 97% of America's area and 18% of the population - there's quite literally zero infrastructure to facilitate such a change.

Once you start researching the minerals needed for these batteries and the processes in which they are mined, it's not the home run that's being pitched to the public.

I wouldn't say I've done research per se but this guy has.

It's an amazing series and really explains why they are the future. It also goes some way to explain why Putin invaded Ukraine. It's estimated that in the area of land he has already seized has about 12 trillion dollars of these metals.

That's trillion. It's why China is taking over Africa. Building a road and a school then raping the land of these minerals.

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
I wouldn't say I've done research per se but this guy has.

It's an amazing series and really explains why they are the future. It also goes some way to explain why Putin invaded Ukraine. It's estimated that in the area of land he has already seized has about 12 trillion dollars of these metals.

That's trillion. It's why China is taking over Africa. Building a road and a school then raping the land of these minerals.
We're just switching our reliance from Middle East oil to slave-mined minerals.

All under the guise that it's beneficial. Or even necessary.

I think we're being sold a bill of goods, all because some people stand to make a fortune from our energy dependency switch.