Ontario Set to Criminalize Amateur BJJ and Grappling as of July 1, 2017

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Update July 29, 2017 – the Ministry of Sport has responded to my request confirming that there is not PSO for BJJ at this time but indicate this may change shortly advising as follows:

the Ontario Jiu Jitsu Association was close to being recognized however they have not submitted all components of their Sport Recognition Application and therefore are NOT recognized at this time. They are close so they may be added in the near future

If and when OJA receives PSO status they will have a government granted monopoly to run BJJ contests in Ontario. As explained at the bottom of this article it is unclear if a tournament outside of OJA oversight could be successfully prosecuted as a criminal ‘prizefight’ but arguably Ontario is overstepping their bounds by taking such a position.

Per our friend ErikMagraken @ErikMagraken: Ontario Set to Criminalize Amateur BJJ and Grappling as of July 1, 2017

Sheepdog

Protecting America from excessive stool loitering
Dec 1, 2015
BJJ in Ontario has been turning children into homosexuals so they banned it.
Outrageous, they have completely mixed up the causal relationship there. You have to already be gay to want to do BJJ...with Ray, on some hay...in May.

T

The Big Guy

First its all about technique and competition but somewhere down the line your staying late to "clean the mats"

otaku1

TMMAC Addict
Jul 16, 2015
Holy fuck man. Clearly you don't know much about Ontario (which is obviously fine lol) but with if bjj was turning people gay it would be fucking mandatory to enroll in it lmao
With that pc carpet muncher ruling Ontario you bet your ass the boys would be obliged to take bj or bjj lessons if it turned them gay.

ErikMagraken

Posting Machine
Apr 9, 2015
lol this thread.

But yeah, Ontario is taking an asinine and arguably 'ultra vires' response to their criminal code powers to regulate combat sports.

So here is my offer. If anyone is criminally charged in Ontario for hosting a BJJ contest as an illegal 'prizefight' I will work with your local lawyer free of charge. Not that I am advising anyone to test their luck with the Government. I can't ethically do that. But, should someone host an event and find themselves on the wrong end of criminal proceedings have your local lawyer contact me and I will walk them through all the arguments of why Ontario's position is arguably an overreach (ie legally Ultra Vires their powers under s. 83)