(Opinion)Rousey's knockout loss to Holly Holm ironically signifies forward progress for Women's MMA.

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

MMABROdotcom

Oct 2, 2015
MMABRO.com: - MMABRO: Quality MMA Content. Period.

Opinion:

In the wake of Ronda Rousey’s stunning UFC 193 knockout loss to Holly Holm in front of a record 56,214 fans in Melbourne, Australia if you listened closely you could hear the tectonic plates of Women’s MMA shifting and moving forward ever so slightly. Over the course of two rounds, title challenger Holm battered and decimated Rousey in the most convincing manner possible, separating her from consciousness with a ferocious and vicious display of striking. At the conclusion of the match, stunned Rousey fans around the globe and mainstream media outlets (CNN, NY Times, Fox News, etc) struggled to come to grips with the reality of what transpired before their very eyes. Their once invincible champion’s belt was now wrapped around the waist of another, and the aura and narrative of an indomitable Rousey now appeared to be somewhat of a mirage rooted in years of UFC promotional drumming. Never before had Rousey ever been made to look so pedestrian and mortal by an opponent. It was quickly dubbed across hundreds of mainstream and sporting outlets as “the biggest upset in UFC history”. The concern worn across UFC President Dana White’s face in the aftermath was telling.

Yet, somewhere buried in the defeat of Rousey, who has unquestionably elevated the sport of Women’s MMA to new mainstream heights, is a cruel bit of irony. It’s an irony which in order for the sport of Women’s MMA to evolve and progress further, required her fall from grace in the most spectacular and devastating manner possible as witnessed at UFC 193. With all eyes on Rousey Saturday night in Melbourne, it is as if the very sport of Women’s MMA chose the zenith of her popularity to teach her a moral lesson at the very fiber of its martial arts being: humility, sportsmanship, and mutual respect. As Rousey navigated her way through a 12-0 undefeated gauntlet of women challengers leading up to UFC 193, she often did so in a manner great for selling fights, but in stark contrast to the spirit of the values exhibited by the Women’s MMA pioneers who came before her who made her ascent possible. It’s an approach which quietly ruffled the feathers of many female fighters grateful for her overall success, but discontent with the manner in which she seemed to represent the values of the sport of Women’s MMA altogether.

In light of Rousey’s stunning upset, the floodgates and potential for Women’s MMA are now open and no longer characterized by a sample size of just one representative (Ronda Rousey). With the spotlight now shifted to Holly Holm, it will be up to the newly minted star to embody the ethos and values found in the fabric of the sport as well as using the limelight to illuminate the countless other Women’s MMA fighters capable of propelling the sport forward in tandem with herself. Given the character of Holly Holm we have seen to date and on display in her UFC 193 victory, it is as if the sport of Women’s MMA utilized Rousey as the vehicle to achieve mainstream status before ultimately deciding to then pass the torch to the next superstar who will be utilized to put the core values (humility, mutual respect, sportsmanship, etc.) of Women’s MMA on full display to the public for further mainstream proliferation and acceptance.

10 Yard Shìte

Never go full Rogan
Oct 25, 2015
I was tough on you before for a silly reason but this write up was good and I agree.

Holly is a champ I can support knowing she is a positive role model and imo deserves fan support for her dedication and down to earth character.

WAR WMMA WAR Holly Holm

Narcosynthesis

Posting Machine
May 25, 2015
Holly won't be the draw Ronda was as champion so it will hurt wmma's popularity in the long term. In the short term people will be curious about seeing the woman who beat Ronda but that curiosity will fade once people realize Holm has no personality or anything to keep someone emotionally invested in whether.she wins or loses.

Ronda losing the title will allow other fighters to believe they have a shot at it though and that's good for them.

Narcosynthesis

Posting Machine
May 25, 2015
For the next 6 months to a year all it will be about is talk of the Rousey/Holm rematch.
Holm isn't going to wait a year before defending the title. Someone is getting a title shot before Ronda gets her chance again. In an interview right before this fight Dana hinted that a fight was in the works for Cat and she didn't even know about it yet. He said it depended on the outcome of the Holly/Ronda fight. I think Cat might be getting the next shot or there being a title eliminator between her and Nunes. Dana is going to make Tate wait some more for being a pain in his ass.

Narcosynthesis

Posting Machine
May 25, 2015
Also, speaking of Tate, in hindsight she should have taken the Nunes fight because had she won she would be getting the next shot at the title. Instead she's going to be looking at someone else getting that shot.

Qat

QoQ
Nov 3, 2015
Holly won't be the draw Ronda was as champion so it will hurt wmma's popularity in the long term. In the short term people will be curious about seeing the woman who beat Ronda but that curiosity will fade once people realize Holm has no personality or anything to keep someone emotionally invested in whether.she wins or loses.

Ronda losing the title will allow other fighters to believe they have a shot at it though and that's good for them.
The fans MMA is going to lose because of that weren't real fans anyhow.
Also, you theory regarding personality and it's drawing power sounds cute, and I will just throw one name out: GSP

I for one like Holm a lot and her reactions and interviews after the fight as well.

Narcosynthesis

Posting Machine
May 25, 2015
The fans MMA is going to lose because of that weren't real fans anyhow.
Also, you theory regarding personality and it's drawing power sounds cute, and I will just throw one name out: GSP

I for one like Holm a lot and her reactions and interviews after the fight as well.
I'll throw out another name - Brock. The die hards hated him and the casuals loved him and he was the biggest draw ever. For MMA to grow it needs personalities. WMMA would still be a side show if not for Ronda's public image and ability to get casuals to like her and take an interest.

I want MMA to be as big as boxing because I realize with the popularity will come better fighters and athletes who see it as a legitimate career path and some want it to stay small and exclusive to a few so that can feel like they have something special only they are allowed to enjoy.

10 Yard Shìte

Never go full Rogan
Oct 25, 2015
"Emotionally invested" is a mistake imo. Enjoy the fights and respect them all. You only create more hatred and negativity when you're too emotionally invested imo. It causes people to not see clearly and make absurd claims which only serves to piss people off.

Of course if that is your objective (to troll) then be prepared for mass gloating when your hero gets humbled.

Holly will be just fine as champ.

Narcosynthesis

Posting Machine
May 25, 2015
"Emotionally invested" is a mistake imo. Enjoy the fights and respect them all. You only create more hatred and negativity when you're too emotionally invested imo. It causes people to not see clearly and make absurd claims which only serves to piss people off.

Of course if that is your objective (to troll) then be prepared for mass gloating when your hero gets humbled.

Holly will be just fine as champ.
Look around this message board. People are emotionally invested in seeing Ronda win or lose. That's what sports is about.

MMABROdotcom

Oct 2, 2015

Yea, it will be really interesting to see the main stream media's reaction given what happened to Rousey. I think the re-match/redemption element still gets a lot of play and media attention, but if somehow Ronda loses again they could all be gone as quickly as they came initially. Definitely will be an interesting dynamic to follow and see play out in the next 6 months and the overall impact on WMMA and whether Holm will keep their attention. The UFC is doing a pretty good job minting new female stars, but repeating the aura and meteoric rise of Rousey will be a real challenge.

Narcosynthesis

Posting Machine
May 25, 2015
Yea, it will be really interesting to see the main stream media's reaction given what happened to Rousey. I think the re-match/redemption element still gets a lot of play and media attention, but if somehow Ronda loses again they could all be gone as quickly as they came initially. Definitely will be an interesting dynamic to follow and see play out in the next 6 months and the overall impact on WMMA and whether Holm will keep their attention. The UFC is doing a pretty good job minting new female stars, but repeating the aura and meteoric rise of Rousey will be a real challenge.
Oh yea definitely. Ronda is only going to get one shot at redemption. She fucks it up and she might as well just quit fighting. It's weird she might have just as much pressure as the challenger as she did as the champ in this case.

10 Yard Shìte

Never go full Rogan
Oct 25, 2015
Look around this message board. People are emotionally invested in seeing Ronda win or lose. That's what sports is about.
I guess. Can't argue that point but i prefer friendly rivalries not bitter hatred. It'd be cool if everybody got along but it doesn't seem to work that way. Honestly you and I "enemies" merely because you like Ronda and I don't.

It's a shame really because we're missing out on the intellectual side of things. Breaking down skill sets, discussing strategies, etc etc.

Good luck having a friendly debate about Cyborg vs Ronda without negativity and hate from both sides.

Not all fans are lunatic haters!! :)

Qat

QoQ
Nov 3, 2015
You are a weird one. For one I agree that fans will be lost, but some will stay and learn to love the sport. And Brock brought eyes, sure. But he is also a terrible example. What can you tell me about his winning personality? Lol.

What you said about Holly is wrong. I care if she wins or loses, and I like her personality. It's not a love/hate thing, but it doesn't have to be.
GSP grew the sport too.

Sure the sport growing bigger is nice. But I rather have a real growth based on skill, technique and good fights, than a "fake" growth based on freaks and loud-mouths who draw the hipster-fans and can't back it up. And I know its not black & white, and personalities are bringing the spice. But all I'm saying is, what you said about Holly having nothing that people interests, is wrong.

You are taking the WWE-approach and say it's better for the sport. I disagree with that. The fights always have to be the most important thing, not the storylines.