Opinions on the name James Howlett

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

kneeblock

Drapetomaniac
Apr 18, 2015
Several years ago we learned Wolverine, who had been Logan for decades was actually born James Howlett.

Imo, this name sucks and should be retconned out somehow. Logan was just a cool name. Even Daken is cooler than James Howlett.

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
Yep, his history became lame. Some crap about his step dad in the 19th century being mean to him, wah wah

RedDragonUK

Posting Machine
Apr 17, 2015
James is fine,Howlett is stupid. Logan is a cool name but that's the man he became. I thought the fact he started off as a weakling and became a badass was cool. A lot of top fighters came from abusive or bullied backgrounds.

Pitbull9

Daddy
Jan 28, 2015
I actually love Wolverines history and the things with the names really gives him more character. The guy has lived for a long time and been through some crazy shit. Its only fitting somethings will not be loved by everyone but i dig it.

kneeblock

Drapetomaniac
Apr 18, 2015
The history I have no trouble with. They were going to make something up so whatever, but James Howlett is the worst name ever conceived, particularly after Logan.

First, the name James is too much of a play on all the people Wolverine has interacted with James MacDonald Hudson being the most obvious. Calling Wolverine Jamie, Jim, Jimbo, Jemmy or any of those diminutives just doesn't fit anything to do with his character.

Howlett is obviously a play on his animalistic side. Howl. How original.

Names have power. As a writer, there is no more difficult task than naming your characters. As a father, naming your children is an incredible undertaking.Logan had gravitas and intensity. "James Howlett" should be the secret identity of a character like Banshee or Longshot.

Treadstone06

I got 2 words for ya...
Apr 20, 2015
Yeah, I don't care for the name that much either. I always think of the howl wordplay as well.

kneeblock

Drapetomaniac
Apr 18, 2015
My opinion: they should have never revealed the back story.
Supposedly they had to because Fox was saying they were going to do so in the X-Men Origins: Wolverine film. To beat them to the punch, Marvel threw together Origin.

It's part of the ongoing war between Fox and Marvel that now has Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch become Inhumans, the FF and X-Men exiled to another planet and other idiocy.

P

Punch

Supposedly they had to because Fox was saying they were going to do so in the X-Men Origins: Wolverine film. To beat them to the punch, Marvel threw together Origin.

It's part of the ongoing war between Fox and Marvel that now has Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch become Inhumans, the FF and X-Men exiled to another planet and other idiocy.
Film copyright laws FTL.

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
Who is the toughest JB?

James Bond
Jason Bourne
Jack Bauer

RedDragonUK

Posting Machine
Apr 17, 2015
Who is the toughest JB?

James Bond
Jason Bourne
Jack Bauer

James Bond.

Bauer was always getting beaten up and Bourne is like James Bond jr, eventually he will reach Bond level in Dr No but right now he's not got his 00 status yet.

Blood with Etrigan powers wins but without Bond does.

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
I think Bourne cleans up. Bond was quite a wimp IMHO and got by on balls and luck.

How about Jack Reacher? Not a JB but of the same mould. Bruce Wayne is obviously the alpha of non- metas

RedDragonUK

Posting Machine
Apr 17, 2015
Bond isn't a wimp pound for pound he's taken out much heavier stronger guys and much more skilled guys. Scaramanga would take out Bourne imo. Jack Reacher in the books would give Bond a lot of trouble it'd be like Jon Jones - Reacher taking on Weidman- Bond

Bruce would beat Bond

RedDragonUK

Posting Machine
Apr 17, 2015
Pfft when Bond's wife died did he sit at home moping about and pet a dog? No he stops Blofeld and his cronies and once again saves the world plus bags another babe in the process.