VID OUTRAGEOUS: Mighty Mouse vs. Henry Cejudo

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Haulport

Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
I just watched, and scored, the entire fight and I truly, truly do not know how TF anyone in their right mind gives that fight to Henry under ANY rule set. I think this fight exemplifies what a terrible scoring system the 10 Point Must is for MMA and how something like my alternative scoring system should be implemented. The results are clear and a lot of the "this is a close fight" talk ends with that clarity.

Here are my results with the 10 Point Must and my own scoring system.

10 Point Must
I decided to be EXTREMELY generous and give the fourth and fifth rounds to Henry and he loses 48-47. He could have easily lost the fourth also. Anyone who gives Henry any of the first three rounds, imo, is a psychopath. MM lumped up and cut Henry's face and beat the crap out of his left leg and landed big body kicks repeatedly throughout the fight. Henry Hit DJ in the head about 8 times(?), didn't hurt him at all and literally did nothing but hold on for dear life on the two take-downs that DJ didn't reverse immediately. And yes, there are only TWO take-downs in the entire fight that DJ does not immediately get up from. Only two. Cormier goes off about how he is a wrestling coach and a bunch of them count as take-downs, but MMA isn't wrestling and I don't comprehend the idea that you should be scoring points when you trip a guy and he reverses you immediately while you fumble for control that never comes. If anything, DJ should score a point because he made Henry so ineffective. So I score (generously for Henry):
  1. 10-9 MM
  2. 10-9 MM
  3. 10-9 MM
  4. 10-9 Henry
  5. 10-9 Henry
48-47 DJ

The idea that a challenger can do SO LITTLE to a man who finished him in the past and be awarded a title is, to be perfectly honest, reprehensible...

Alternative Scoring System
This is where it gets very interesting and the great divide between a scoring system that is designed specifically for MMA and the 10 Point Must system becomes crystal clear:

Mighty Mouse
Round 1 Striking = 2.5
Round 2 Striking = 1.0
Round 3 Striking = 2.5
Round 4 Striking = 1.0

Henry Cejudo
Two Take-downs = 1.0
Round 5 Striking = 1.0

Mighty Mouse wins 7-2

It is unfortunate that so many years later we still have such poor judging that clearly dominating the striking for four rounds loses out to two clean take-downs that result in 2 mins of stalling with literally 3-5 punches thrown, a few knees to the shoulder and a handful of FAILED take-downs where DJ pops up immediately as Henry stumbles around looking like he is trying to hold on to a greased pig.

Last edited:
M

member 3289

I was one of the only people on here to be adamant that night that Mighty Mouse won.

I get that people didn't want him to win, but you can't let feelings get in the way of facts.

Like OP said, Mighty Mouse won 48-47

Haulport

First 100
Jan 17, 2015
I was one of the only people on here to be adamant that night that Mighty Mouse won.

I get that people didn't want him to win, but you can't let feelings get in the way of facts.

Like OP said, Mighty Mouse won 48-47
People didn't want him to win, nor did the UFC. I guess when you lose a fight like that it becomes easy to get that trade going. I bet Hume jumped on the phone with ONE right after the suspicious results...

Last edited:

Haulport

First 100
Jan 17, 2015
And what really galls me was DC disagreeing with Joe about getting offensive and clamoring about how Henry should do NOTHING on the ground and just hold DJ down. The man has no martial honor. He is perfectly fine with using technicalities to win. I guess that's why he was able to celebrate so much after he deliberately poked Stipe in the eye and then KO'd him on the same side as the eye poke a minute later...

Last edited:

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
And what really galls me was DC disagreeing with Joe about getting offensive and clamoring about how Henry should do NOTHING on the ground and just hold DJ down. The man has no martial honor. He is perfectly fine with using technicalities to win. I guess that's why he was able to celebrate so much after he deliberately poked Stipe in the eye and then KO'd him on the same side as the eye poke a minute later...
When has DC used technicalities other than this "deliberate" eye poke? Cormier is a pretty great ambassador of MMA imo. He was beating Stipe with or without that eye poke.

Have you seen this angel that shows Miocic reaching out at Cormier with fingers extended and poking him? Palms his face once then does it again putting his thumb I'm the eye. Just a part of the game.

Haulport

First 100
Jan 17, 2015
When has DC used technicalities other than this "deliberate" eye poke? Cormier is a pretty great ambassador of MMA imo. He was beating Stipe with or without that eye poke.

Have you seen this angel that shows Miocic reaching out at Cormier with fingers extended and poking him? Palms his face once then does it again putting his thumb I'm the eye. Just a part of the game.

I did not catch that. Seems pretty intentional. When did that happen in the fight.

Either way I don't really like DC as a personality and I really don't like what he was saying during the MM fight. I have lauded DC as one of the few fighters who actually switch their style to work on their opponents' weaknesses, but all the way back to his SF fight against Josh Barnett when he refused to engage for the last min because he was winning the decision (like Oscar De La Hoya used to do) I have not liked his "win ugly" attitude. Which was on full display during his commentary in MM/Henry...

Robbie Hart

All Biden Voters Are Mindless Sheep
Feb 13, 2015

*in* not *I’m*

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
Read like Mighty Mo to me at first

Loved me some mighty Mo...he loves to throw bombs

Atto

Chinese Virus
Feb 11, 2016
win or not. Thanks god he lost.
He had zero personality to be a star and was Mighty boring.

It reminds me of Edgar Penn 1 in terms of how we would have to orient our thinking to make the case for the winner.
I'd have called it a draw and told them they have another 10 minutes w/o breaks to sort it out.

Last edited by a moderator:

Haulport

First 100
Jan 17, 2015
It reminds me of Edgar Penn 1 in terms of how we would have to orient our thinking to make the case for the winner.
I'd have called it a draw and told them they have another 10 minutes w/o breaks to sort it out.
Gotta disagree. Penn/Edgar was very wonky, but MM beat Henry - period. It is preposterous that a guy gets completely tooled in the striking for 4 rounds and then loses because he got taken down TWO TIMES!

Think about that. Two take downs that led to no GnP and no sub attempts and 4-5 take downs that last less than 3 seconds during a five round fight is enough to win a world championship...

kneeblock

Drapetomaniac
Apr 18, 2015
Gotta disagree. Penn/Edgar was very wonky, but MM beat Henry - period. It is preposterous that a guy gets completely tooled in the striking for 4 rounds and then loses because he got taken down TWO TIMES!

Think about that. Two take downs that led to no GnP and no sub attempts and 4-5 take downs that last less than 3 seconds during a five round fight is enough to win a world championship...
Someday they'll adopt your scoring system and you'll be laughing from beyond the grave. You can join the likes of people like Denzel, Gordon, and Heavy D who went on to make a difference.

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
He was like a brawler from a movie! Loved his fights.
yep
every thing was extremely telegraphed and thrown with 200% power

I love me some K1 tournaments...those were some of the best combat events ever put on IMO

Twelve Twenty Four

Jan 21, 2016
Completely agree. was shocked that a typical MM decision went againts him. I do remember MM takin the foot off the gas in the last 2-3 rounds which allowed Cejudo to land some decent Counters; in fact the last cpl of rounds seemed like MM couldnt get in on Cejudo at all which mightve given him the advantage/win.

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
The idea that a challenger can do SO LITTLE to a man who finished him in the past and be awarded a title is, to be perfectly honest, reprehensible
Whom holds the title, or what happened in previous fights, has no impact on scoring.

Also, Fightmetric scored 3 takedowns for Henry. Maybe you need to familiarize yourself with MMA scoring?

Haulport

First 100
Jan 17, 2015
Whom holds the title, or what happened in previous fights, has no impact on scoring.

Also, Fightmetric scored 3 takedowns for Henry. Maybe you need to familiarize yourself with MMA scoring?
There r only two take downs that aren't undone within 3 seconds and I don't think that me saying 2 and them saying three is really an egregious error on my part if they are right. So yeah.......

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
There r only two take downs that aren't undone within 3 seconds and I don't think that me saying 2 and them saying three is really an egregious error on my part if they are right. So yeah.......
When they happen in rounds where striking is close, it makes a difference on scorecards. So yeah.......

Hwoarang

TMMAC Addict
Oct 22, 2015
I can't remember the whole fight, but remember it being close and could have gone either way. I had money on cejudo so could be bias and I remember feeling a bit lucky afterwards like he didn't do enough to take the belt.
It would be interesting to know if there was any talk about MM moving to Onefc before that fight (decision).