Overeem believes he is the fighter to 'expose' Werdum's 'weaknesses'

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014

The mixed martial arts world witnessed Fabricio Werdum defeat Cain Velasquez on Saturday at UFC 188 in Mexico City to become the undisputed UFC heavyweight champion. That world naturally includes other top members of the UFC heavyweight division, many of whom had their futures radically adjusted - and arguably improved - with Werdum as the new heavyweight king.

One such man is Alistair Overeem, who just happens to be the last man to defeat Werdum, a bout that took place in Strikeforce roughly four years ago. The Dutch heavyweight saw what happened to Velasquez and while he has criticisms of his preparation, he's also quick to acknowledge the Brazilian's growth.

"First of all, big kudos to Werdum," Overeem told Ariel Helwani on Monday's The MMA Hour. "He's made great development as a MMA fighter. He's always been tricky, he's always been persistent with his black belt and jiu-jitsu skills. But now, he truly is a stand-up warrior and he is an all-around MMA master. He's shown great stuff and the heavyweight division is entirely wide open now."

Overeem was able to defeat Werdum by unanimous decision at Strikeforce: Overeem vs. Werdum in June of 2011. It was an unusual fight with not a lot of action. It was also one where Werdum was reluctant to exchange with Overeem on the feet. Overeem believes Werdum has changed since then, but he's also quick to note the context for Cain and why that mattered so greatly.

"I fought Werdum and had an excellent performance, but I also thought after that Cain did not have a good performance. Usually, cardio is Cain's weapon. It looked like the high altitude was bothering him. Of course, the ring rust. He didn't fight in two years. So, it was a little bit something you could expect.

"Werdum is coming off a win streak, he's fighting every couple of months," Overeem continued. "Cain did not fight in two years and I don't think it's clever thing to not understand the high altitude thing. Wrestlers in the U.S., they know about that stuff, so maybe they underestimated it. I don't know."

He continued...

"It's like this, I'm not the UFC. I'm not a matchmaker," he said. "I'm the last guy who beat Werdum and I'm going to leave it up to the UFC to decide what they want to do next, but if the phone rings, I will be available. That's that."

The only thing Overeem knows for certain is that in addition to already having beaten Werdum, he's the guy to do it again. He knows how to do it and proved it once. And based on what he observed on Saturday, doing it a second time is more than doable.

"Yeah, definitely," Overeem responded when asked if Werdum has shortcomings that can be exploited. "I see several things."

LINK to full story: Alistair Overeem believes he is the fighter to 'expose' Fabricio Werdum's 'weaknesses' - MMA Fighting

jason73

Yuri Bezmenov was right
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
overeem is his own biggest fan. he is not in line for a title shot just yet.i would expect him to return to 205lb after the new PED policy takes effect

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
overeem is his own biggest fan. he is not in line for a title shot just yet.i would expect him to return to 205lb after the new PED policy takes effect
I expect a lot of guys to be dropping down to lower weight classes after July 1st. A lot.

Silverball

Feb 24, 2015
Overeem's always in line as long as he's coming off of a win. Unfortunately for him, he's behind at least three other fighters who are in that same line, so he shouldn't get his hopes up just yet. I think Overeem's transformation since the Brock fight is a preview of things to come in the UFC, for a lot of fighters.

ChaosOverkill

Conor is ushering in the Chomochiq fashion era.
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
I think Werdum takes it 3 rounds to 2 or a sub now and outside shot at KO

The Roy fight is the new Overeem prototype and Werdum can say "I see several holes" as well, if Roy wasn't a total slob on cardio and doesn't fumble his decisions when someone is hurt, one of his blitzes lasts long enough to take Overeem out.

Roy beat himself in that fight, again. Overeem played a B grade Jones and stopped shortof how Jones reacts to blitzes and gave Roy many chances in 3 rounds.

In 5 Werdum overcomes.

ChaosOverkill

First 100
Jan 16, 2015
If Reem had a solid chin he would have a shot.
Yeah that's what gives Werdum so many openings, if he drops him or even backs him up to the fence being too defensive the new aggressive Werdum will find a neck or other, if not a TKO.

Werdum's technique of not being afraid to fall to the ground when hit with a good shot it a real advantage. Where normally the vast majority of fights in that spot would signal time to go in for the kill, Werdum uses it as a fantastic playing possum scenario that in the heat of the battle is often too juicy to resist and takes extraordinary discipline when desperate to finish the fight.

Left Hook Larry

3x Undisputed Monsters Champ/King of Buttertooths
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Yeah that's what gives Werdum so many openings, if he drops him or even backs him up to the fence being too defensive the new aggressive Werdum will find a neck or other, if not a TKO.

Werdum's technique of not being afraid to fall to the ground when hit with a good shot it a real advantage. Where normally the vast majority of fights in that spot would signal time to go in for the kill, Werdum uses it as a fantastic playing possum scenario that in the heat of the battle is often too juicy to resist and takes extraordinary discipline when desperate to finish the fight.
That playing possum and going to the ground can backfire though if it goes to a decision. But i agree on all the other points.

ChaosOverkill

First 100
Jan 16, 2015
That playing possum and going to the ground can backfire though if it goes to a decision. But i agree on all the other points.
I think the old way he did it would for sure, but I don't think he'll play it any more than he has to, and it was usually in fights he was getting BADLY outstruck for certain lengths but those are not the rule any more, he gets tagged but doesn't get outstruck for any length and he doesn't seem to stay down nearly as long or buttscoot. He got back up with Cain as soon as Cain walked away.