General Oxford now offers exclusive scholarships...

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

SongExotic2

ATM 3 CHAMPION OF THE WORLD. #FREECAIN
First 100
Jan 16, 2015

Long story short they now offer scholarships that are exclusive to black folks. This is gonna rile up some folks judging by the comments section on the article.

I'm going to write a letter to Oxford and demand equality for white Mexican American indians who live in Belgium. If not I will cry foul.

P.s just kidding about the last part, I read one of Thier books, it was proper shit, just told you what words meant.

ThatOneDude

Commander in @Chief, Dick Army
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Those comments are very ugly, not surprising that a small island full of drunkards is also an island full of racists.

SongExotic2

First 100
Jan 16, 2015
kneeblock @kneeblock I'd like to hear your thoughts on this. You are an academic, if you applied for Oxford, and narrowly missed out, and a week later got a call back and they said there was a new program and your in because your black would you be happy or tell them to fuck off?

kneeblock

Drapetomaniac
Apr 18, 2015
kneeblock @kneeblock I'd like to hear your thoughts on this. You are an academic, if you applied for Oxford, and narrowly missed out, and a week later got a call back and they said there was a new program and your in because your black would you be happy or tell them to fuck off?
When I was young I had a very negative opinion toward diversity scholarships. Like most people of color, I felt like I wanted to get in on merit and f getting a handout blah blah blah.

But now that I'm older and have actually been at an elite institution, both as a student and teacher, I see how many of my colleagues really had access to things that meant they didn't have to work one tenth as hard as I did to get where I'm at. Doors just opened for them and oftentimes when they tell their life stories it's amazing how many taken for granted bits of preparation and support they got.

I tend to believe awards and acceptances should be based on class rather than race, but oftentimes race blind programs tend to still reproduce an overrepresentation of whites because of network effects. In other words, in some cases a poorer white person can be closer to information networks that alert them to the opportunity or have references deemed more credible by institutional biases. But at the end of the day, I don't care if elite institutions are darker, just that they're more representative of humanity as a whole across class, race, gender etc. In fact, then their status as elite itself would likely begin to change, which I'd welcome.

All of that said, while those are my politics, I spent a summer studying at Oxford. I love its Harry Potter vibes and if someone said you can come here full time due to your ancestry, I'd be on the next plane like toodle pip old chap.

SongExotic2

First 100
Jan 16, 2015
When I was young I had a very negative opinion toward diversity scholarships. Like most people of color, I felt like I wanted to get in on merit and f getting a handout blah blah blah.

But now that I'm older and have actually been at an elite institution, both as a student and teacher, I see how many of my colleagues really had access to things that meant they didn't have to work one tenth as hard as I did to get where I'm at. Doors just opened for them and oftentimes when they tell their life stories it's amazing how many taken for granted bits of preparation and support they got.

I tend to believe awards and acceptances should be based on class rather than race, but oftentimes race blind programs tend to still reproduce an overrepresentation of whites because of network effects. In other words, in some cases a poorer white person can be closer to information networks that alert them to the opportunity or have references deemed more credible by institutional biases. But at the end of the day, I don't care if elite institutions are darker, just that they're more representative of humanity as a whole across class, race, gender etc. In fact, then their status as elite itself would likely begin to change, which I'd welcome.

All of that said, while those are my politics, I spent a summer studying at Oxford. I love its Harry Potter vibes and if someone said you can come here full time due to your ancestry, I'd be on the next plane like toodle pip old chap.
I diddnt know you had studied there. Since I made this thread I looked at the courses they offer and nothing jumped out at me, I'm a terrible student anyhow and would have jack shit of getting in because I'm stupid, I was just unsure how I would feel if I applied in the scenario I gave you.

I know what you mean about network effects. Last place I worked in the usa when we hired a new guy, before we had the interviewees in we would go around the room

"hey anyone know John smith from X program? "

"Yes he's a cunt!"

Resume in the trash.

"Yea he's funny"

Okay let's bring him in for a talk

If nobody knew ya it was gonna be hard work. Small community and we liked to like each other. I can imagine the selection committee at somewhere like Oxford, has an old boy club of its own.

SongExotic2

First 100
Jan 16, 2015
The Era of Semi Serious SongExotic2 @SongExotic2 is upon us
Thread was genuinely to hear kneeblocks thoughts, while a bit of an experiment to see if anyone's comments echoed the comments section on the link (which is why I mentioned it)

And then the scenario I posted, because when I think of myself in those shoes, I get wound up about shit like that, If I get in to somewhere like that I wanna know it's because I deserve it, not to meet quota.

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
Thread was genuinely to hear kneeblocks thoughts, while a bit of an experiment to see if anyone's comments echoed the comments section on the link (which is why I mentioned it)

And then the scenario I posted, because when I think of myself in those shoes, I get wound up about shit like that, If I get in to somewhere like that I wanna know it's because I deserve it, not to meet quota.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuuXXjJly2I

M

member 1013

Have you ever had your IQ tested? I bet I can guess it