Paige Vanzant-"I was giving myself an eating disorder to make the weight"

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

RaginCajun

The Reigning Undisputed Monsters Tournament Champ
Oct 25, 2015
Paige Vanzant: UFC gave me an eating disorder

Paige Vanzant is a 23-year-old fighter from Oregon, United States.

She's been competing in Mixed Martial Arts (MMA) for over a decade.

Fighters losing, or 'cutting', weight before a bout has become controversial with some people suffering serious consequences.

"I was having different issues with myself and my body" Paige tells us.

"I was giving myself an eating disorder to make the weight."

Her experiences trying to make the 115 lbs (52kg) limit in the UFC Strawweight division made Paige realise she needed to change her weight limit for the good of her health. She normally weighs 135 lbs (61kg).

"I recently went up to the flyweight division which is 10 lbs (4.5kg) heavier, which is a huge difference.

Paige revealed she recently saw first-hand the dangers that fighters who drastically cut their weight can expose themselves to.

"I was at a fight where a fellow UFC fighter, Uriah Hall, was cutting weight and he pushed himself just to the brink of death. He had kidney failure and started seizing in the hallway right in front of me.

"It's because of that I'm like 'I cant do this anymore.'"

Paige says the UFC is trying to introduce new rules to help reduce the risks of serious weight loss, but accepts the final decision is ultimately made by the fighters.

"It's our decision to cut weight, it's our decision to fight at those lower weight classes."

Once they've successfully made the weight, there are a whole different set of injuries a UFC fighter can pick up inside the octagon. Something Paige can relate to.

"In my last fight I broke my arm pretty bad and had to go and have a titanium plate and seven screws put in my forearm.

"I have broken my nose in one of my fights and got cut open pretty bad. It's just something you accept as a part of it.

"The biggest concern for me is just getting the injury healed as soon as possible, so I can start training again."

Paige has won seven of her 11 professional fights and says her passion for combat sport is only getting stronger.

"I don't think anybody loves getting hit in the face, but I guess I love punching people.

"For me it's not even violence, it's one person's skill over another."

The UFC takes over London's O2 on Saturday 17th March.

Gay For Longo

*insert Matt Serra meme
Jan 22, 2016
Wow at the first pic
Am I the only one besides Robbie that doesn't find this attractive?

I hope she gets this sorted and starts being healthier

She's a pretty girl, but that is just too skinny imo

RaginCajun

Oct 25, 2015
Wow at the first pic

Reads like she realized that it was a problem and that is why she went up a weight class. I don't think it will help her record but she will be healthier for it.

ender852

TMMAC Addict
Jan 31, 2015
Wow at the first pic

Yeah, big turn off for me if a girl is too skinny. Ribs are a boner killer for me, I don't want to see your fucking skeleton lady, eat a sandwich.

Coast

Land of the Prince Bishops
Oct 18, 2017
Shitty reporting by the BBC, or at least a shitty headline.

"UFC gave me a eating disorder"

Yet not once does she blame the UFC, she takes responsibility for it herself.

I can remember when you could go to the BBC and get impartial news, nowadays they are becoming more like a tabloid.

RaginCajun

Oct 25, 2015
Shitty reporting by the BBC, or at least a shitty headline.

"UFC gave me a eating disorder"

Yet not once does she blame the UFC, she takes responsibility for it herself.

I can remember when you could go to the BBC and get impartial news, nowadays they are becoming more like a tabloid.
I noticed that and changed the title of the thread accordingly.

aghof

an person
Apr 15, 2015
pretty sure there are a ton of mma fighters, wrestlers, etc. that would be classified as having eating disorders if you go strictly off their diets and weight fluctuations over the course of a year

RaginCajun

Oct 25, 2015
pretty sure there are a ton of mma fighters, wrestlers, etc. that would be classified as having eating disorders if you go strictly off their diets and weight fluctuations over the course of a year
But are they trying to sell a book? She is either a smart business woman or she has some smart people around her because I bet she has made the most money out of all the 7–4 fighters. She is 1-3 in the last two years and is making bank.

View: https://www.instagram.com/p/BgCyP-WFTmG/?taken-by=paigevanzantufc

T

The Big Guy

Shes just trying to say shes a spitter. Thats why cody dumped her

SongExotic2

ATM 3 CHAMPION OF THE WORLD. #ASSBLOODS
First 100
Jan 16, 2015

tang

top korean roofer
Oct 21, 2015
All the anorexic models should cross over to WMMA. They’ll never miss weight

maurice

Posting Machine
Oct 21, 2015
1st pic looks distorted. Either 'shopped or just a shitty hotel closet door mirror. His waist is disproportionate to her legs and arms. She's a strong girl, yet there's barely any shoulder definition. Not what you'd expect from extremely low BF% and hydration. I call shenanigans.

2nd pic does not look anorexic at all. Just looks like a fit woman who is about 5'4 / 120.

Last edited:

maurice

Posting Machine
Oct 21, 2015
Lets keep in mind that we're talking about a professional athlete competing in the highest league.

For comparison's sake, elite women gymnasts average 5'1 / 103 lbs., and that's without cutting any water weight.

The bodies of champion gymnasts