Paige VanZant says she was sexually assaulted at 14

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Dead Again

Oct 10, 2017
VanZant says she was sexually assaulted at 14

UFC flyweight fighter Paige VanZant, speaking to ABC News for an interview that aired on "Good Morning America" on Tuesday, says she was sexually assaulted at a party as a 14-year-old and has had suicidal thoughts since.

The 24-year-old VanZant, promoting her new memoir, "RISE: Surviving the Fight of My Life," told ABC News that she had a tough childhood and was constantly bullied in high school to the point where she ate lunch alone in the bathroom.

"I didn't have anywhere to run to. I didn't have anybody to turn to," said VanZant, who grew up in Dayton, Oregon. "[It was] bad enough that I had to run into the bathroom, and I'd eat my lunch on the toilet ... because I just felt too scared to eat lunch in the cafeteria."

VanZant told ABC News that she only recently spoke to her parents about being sexually assaulted as a high school freshman.

"I felt like I was a smart girl," she said. "My parents raised me well. They raised me to know better and to have some intuition. It all went out the window just because I was so lonely.

"I was in so much pain, I just ... all I could think about was, 'Wow, I have somebody who wants to be my friend,'" she said of the alleged assault. "When I walked in the door of their house, I was like, 'This probably isn't such a good idea.'"

VanZant said that night, and the continual bullying that followed, led her to contemplate ending her own life.

Ted Williams' head

It's freezing in here!
Sep 23, 2015
Just saw this on Sherdog. Sad news but it's also good that more and more people are coming out with their stories. A lot of these dirtbag predators operate under the thought that victims will be too embarrassed to come out.

silentsinger

Momofuku
Jun 23, 2015
VanZant says she was sexually assaulted at 14

UFC flyweight fighter Paige VanZant, speaking to ABC News for an interview that aired on "Good Morning America" on Tuesday, says she was sexually assaulted at a party as a 14-year-old and has had suicidal thoughts since.

The 24-year-old VanZant, promoting her new memoir, "RISE: Surviving the Fight of My Life," told ABC News that she had a tough childhood and was constantly bullied in high school to the point where she ate lunch alone in the bathroom.

"I didn't have anywhere to run to. I didn't have anybody to turn to," said VanZant, who grew up in Dayton, Oregon. "[It was] bad enough that I had to run into the bathroom, and I'd eat my lunch on the toilet ... because I just felt too scared to eat lunch in the cafeteria."

VanZant told ABC News that she only recently spoke to her parents about being sexually assaulted as a high school freshman.

"I felt like I was a smart girl," she said. "My parents raised me well. They raised me to know better and to have some intuition. It all went out the window just because I was so lonely.

"I was in so much pain, I just ... all I could think about was, 'Wow, I have somebody who wants to be my friend,'" she said of the alleged assault. "When I walked in the door of their house, I was like, 'This probably isn't such a good idea.'"

VanZant said that night, and the continual bullying that followed, led her to contemplate ending her own life.
Yeah I saw it this morning, dreadful when she said "it wasn't that I wanted to die, I just wanted the pain to stop". Poor girl.

AJSR

Apr 9, 2018
I've just discovered this place from an old PM I found on the UG. I opened this thread expecting the worst based on that cess-pit and seeing people respond with a basic level of human decency is genuinely heartening. It'd be great to be able discuss MMA without having to deal with the endless barrage of racism, misogyny and bigotry on a daily basis. Nice one.

KWingJitsu

ยาเม็ดสีแดงหรือสีฟ้ายา?
Nov 15, 2015
Hmmmm.

I'm going from memory here but didn't she change her last name because someone in her family is a rapist?

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Hmmmm.

I'm going from memory here but didn't she change her last name because someone in her family is a rapist?

In reality, VanZant claims she was raped by multiple male classmates after they got her intoxicated at a party. The bullying included mocking over her last name Sletton, which students changed to "Paige Slutton" to mock and taunt her. She eventually changed her last name legally to VanZant because of the persistent bullying.

T

The Big Guy

Just saw this on Sherdog. Sad news but it's also good that more and more people are coming out with their stories. A lot of these dirtbag predators operate under the thought that victims will be too embarrassed to come out.
I figured you spent alot of time on sherdog

silentsinger

Momofuku
Jun 23, 2015
I've just discovered this place from an old PM I found on the UG. I opened this thread expecting the worst based on that cess-pit and seeing people respond with a basic level of human decency is genuinely heartening. It'd be great to be able discuss MMA without having to deal with the endless barrage of racism, misogyny and bigotry on a daily basis. Nice one.
Stick around, bud. Don't know how you stuck it out there but thousands did.

jimmy boogaloo

General Links/Your Account
Nov 15, 2017
fuck you

Jonny Quest

Adventurer
Feb 12, 2015
I there a statute of limitations on this kind of thing? I wonder if she can press charges on those fucks.

Andrewsimar Palhardass

Women, dinosaurs, and the violence of the octagon.
Jan 8, 2016
Give it a couple of days.

Nemo?

Too weird to live, too rare to die.
Dec 2, 2015
In reality, VanZant claims she was raped by multiple male classmates after they got her intoxicated at a party. The bullying included mocking over her last name Sletton, which students changed to "Paige Slutton" to mock and taunt her. She eventually changed her last name legally to VanZant because of the persistent bullying.
I hate to be that guy... but ladies need to stop getting head over heels smashed at parties without a crew with them.

The house parties we threw the women knew they were safe BUT only because a lot of the nerds in junior high grew into studs by Gr12, the savages had no choice but to comply.

Limpy

Banned
Oct 20, 2015
I hate to be that guy... but ladies need to stop getting head over heels smashed at parties without a crew with them.

The house parties we threw the women knew they were safe BUT only because a lot of the nerds in junior high grew into studs by Gr12, the savages had no choice but to comply.
You sound like a fuckhead.

I still like you though. :)

SuperPig

Enjoy yourselves
Aug 7, 2015

You're not wrong.

But also it would be nice if more Young guys policed each other and wouldn't let another guy take advantage of a young girl that has drank too much.

Nemo?

Too weird to live, too rare to die.
Dec 2, 2015
You sound like a fuckhead.

I still like you though. :)
Hi Lloyd.
You're not wrong.

But also it would be nice if more Young guys policed each other and wouldn't let another guy take advantage of a young girl that has drank too much.
Hey I followed the same rules at parties I didn’t get black out drunk unless I knew I wouldn’t wake up with a carrot or a finger shoved up my ass because “hockey boys”....both happened to guys I went to school with.

Limpy

Banned
Oct 20, 2015
Hey I followed the same rules at parties I didn’t get black out drunk unless I knew I wouldn’t wake up with a carrot or a finger shoved up my ass because “hockey boys”....both happened to guys I went to school with.
I would’ve loved to grow up in your town. I would’ve never been sober.

Gay For Longo

*insert Matt Serra meme
Jan 22, 2016
Welcome to the forum

Nov 21, 2015
This is why these little dummies have kids pushed to their wits end storming into
school and shooting up the joint. Freakin crazy.