Paige VanZant vs. Jessica Eye targeted for UFC 216 at flyweight

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

nuraknu

savage
Jul 20, 2016

The UFC women's flyweight division -- a new weight class announced late spring -- is off and running.

A matchup between Jessica Eye and Paige VanZant is currently in the works for UFC 216 in Las Vegas on October 6 with the bout expected to take place at 125 pounds.

Sources close to the matchup confirmed the news to FloCombat on Monday with verbal agreements in place from the fighters. UFC officials have yet to confirm the bout so any potential fight is still subject to change.

Paige VanZant vs. Jessica Eye Targeted For UFC 216

Last edited by a moderator:

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Gotta be honest. Not really a fan of either, so don't really care which way this one plays out.

SuperPig

Enjoy yourselves
Aug 7, 2015
I support PVZ in this move.
I agree. She's looked like hell making 115 lately and with her moving and doing more and more things outside of fighting that cut isn't going to get any easier.

Limpy

Banned
Oct 20, 2015
UFC's way of hoping PVZ gets a win over a struggling fighter so they can build her up as the best flyweight on the planet. I bet if she wins she gets the first shot at the belt.

nuraknu

savage
Jul 20, 2016
UFC's way of hoping PVZ gets a win over a struggling fighter so they can build her up as the best flyweight on the planet. I bet if she wins she gets the first shot at the belt.
Idk. I was thinking it's more of a test to see where she's at after her move - if she can still be competitive. Good matchup with someone who also needs a test match before being booked against anyone else.

Nov 21, 2015
Will be a short reign cuz next year Joanna said she's moving up to 125lbs
and like JJ said "I'm simply the best and this is all"

Drake

Cunning Linguist
Jul 9, 2017
Such a weird match up. Potentially making one of their golden girls look like shit with a loss to a fighter that shouldn't be in the UFC anymore. Though the excuse will all be that she was bigger...

I would be fucking pissed, lol. Title fight off of a fighter on a five fight losing streak...

Mix6APlix

The more you cry, the less I care.
Oct 20, 2015
I'll give Paige a shot.
In my pants.

Yossarian

TMMAC Addict
Oct 25, 2015
PVZ takes this. Jessica Eye has 4 losses in a row, that, and her eyes are too close together. Maybe there's a connection.

LurkenLikaGherkin

First 100
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Makes me cheery that this came out at the same time that Calvillo's match was made. Makes me think I was right that UFC/Dana wanted CC vs PVZ, but that PVZ didn't want it, so both got opponents only after it was clear one vs the other wasn't doable.

As far as fighting, it's too bad for PVZ because CC would have been the biggest fight of her career, with the TAM politics tying into the nationally advertised TAM stuff with Dominic, TJ, Uriah, etc.

CC is going to continue to get better if she doesn't F up by tying her bowline to the wrong piers (not a small feat, given her continual nearness to DW). PVZ had probably already peaked.