Parenting: the Official TMMAC Thread

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

nuraknu

savage
Jul 20, 2016
Have you tried whacking him?
It was a close thing. My husband flipped out and basically scared him into apologizing to me, but then was finally able to get him to calm down. Kiddo ended up falling asleep still naked from his bath.

He woke up this morning and said to me "today's going to be a better day". So fingers crossed.

Disciplined Galt

Disciplina et Frugalis
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
It was a close thing. My husband flipped out and basically scared him into apologizing to me, but then was finally able to get him to calm down. Kiddo ended up falling asleep still naked from his bath.

He woke up this morning and said to me "today's going to be a better day". So fingers crossed.
That's a man's job, then the woman comforts.

Shinkicker

For what it's worth
Jan 30, 2016
nuraknu @nuraknu , it sounds like you are doing a great job. But he doesn't understand what 'hate' means. Only that it's a strong emotion. And if you get upset by it then you have given them a weapon.

He will try it again around age 10 and 14. Don't let them see you sweat!

:tearsofjoy:

Disciplined Galt

Disciplina et Frugalis
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
nuraknu @nuraknu , it sounds like you are doing a great job. But he doesn't understand what 'hate' means. Only that it's a strong emotion. And if you get upset by it then you have given them a weapon.

He will try it again around age 10 and 14. Don't let them see you sweat!

:tearsofjoy:
You are definitely top 5 reasonable people I've known.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
This is secondary parenting news....but I became an uncle last night! Pretty exciting, and everyone is doing great. Long labor, but natural birth with no major complications. My son is super stoked to have a cousin!

On another note:
My son just turned 5, and we had his birthday party at a dinosaur themed park. He absolutely loves and knows so much about dinosaurs and animals, and not even just for a young kid. I’ve had to do some reading to keep up! I think I may have a little biologist or paleontologist in the making. This kid has a steel trap memory, he amazes me daily with how sharp he is. He was correcting people at the park about dinosaur name pronunciations haha

But he’s 5 so we still have our unpleasant moments. And funny moments, oh the things he says lol. At his birthday party he told several strangers all at the park the “dinosaurs had penises, just like people do, but bigger” :eek: LMAO. They didn’t really know how to respond haha

We’ve been reading some kids level anatomy books.....so in a way I helped plant that language in his mind lol.

I gotta post in here more, this kid of mine says some wild shit. We’ve been writing them down for a couple years now :)

Shinkicker

For what it's worth
Jan 30, 2016
This is secondary parenting news....but I became an uncle last night! Pretty exciting, and everyone is doing great. Long labor, but natural birth with no major complications. My son is super stoked to have a cousin!

On another note:
My son just turned 5, and we had his birthday party at a dinosaur themed park. He absolutely loves and knows so much about dinosaurs and animals, and not even just for a young kid. I’ve had to do some reading to keep up! I think I may have a little biologist or paleontologist in the making. This kid has a steel trap memory, he amazes me daily with how sharp he is. He was correcting people at the park about dinosaur name pronunciations haha

But he’s 5 so we still have our unpleasant moments. And funny moments, oh the things he says lol. At his birthday party he told several strangers all at the park the “dinosaurs had penises, just like people do, but bigger” :eek: LMAO. They didn’t really know how to respond haha

We’ve been reading some kids level anatomy books.....so in a way I helped plant that language in his mind lol.

I gotta post in here more, this kid of mine says some wild shit. We’ve been writing them down for a couple years now :)
Ahhh! Great times!

You're son sounds interesting.

Do you have a Sci-quest near you? They have workshops for kids. One was letting the kids excavate some dinosaurs. (Fake bones but very cool.)

Shinkicker

For what it's worth
Jan 30, 2016
nuraknu @nuraknu

Do you have a hands-on science museum near you? Ours used to have some workshops in the evenings. Parents night out! They take the kids in groups and do the activities. They had volcano workshops, how to make your own bubbles, etc. And you and Dad get to go to dinner. :)

nuraknu

savage
Jul 20, 2016
nuraknu @nuraknu

Do you have a hands-on science museum near you? Ours used to have some workshops in the evenings. Parents night out! They take the kids in groups and do the activities. They had volcano workshops, how to make your own bubbles, etc. And you and Dad get to go to dinner. :)
We do have at least two hands-on science centers, and we've been to both, but I don't think they do any drop-off programs.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
Ahhh! Great times!

You're son sounds interesting.

Do you have a Sci-quest near you? They have workshops for kids. One was letting the kids excavate some dinosaurs. (Fake bones but very cool.)
I'm not familiar with Sci-quest, but it sounds cool! We take our son to a place called The Thinkery. It's a hands-on museum kind of place with all kinds of cool activities. We've signed him up for a couple of summer workshops there as well. It's pretty awesome, and they have one of the coolest playgrounds I've ever seen.

And yeah, our son is pretty interesting :) There is never a dull moment! He has such an active mind and imagination. We just try to foster all of his energy in a positive or beneficial way. Maybe this is the same with all or most kids, but he is very independent and strong-willed. Good attributes, but sometimes challenging (oh the circular arguments we have....over completely trivial things lol). I've always been fascinated at how much he can absorb. It's fun to watch him learn and develop various skills.

nuraknu

savage
Jul 20, 2016
Just sharing in between fights, we went to Red Robin today. When we were playing the where's waldo-like game on the placemat, I pointed to a building and said, do you know what that is, and he said, "a gun tower". I was like, "where did you hear someone say 'gun tower'". I interrogated him for a few minutes, but he just kept saying "you" and "here".

Then I realized they had a "guac tower" instead of a "water tower" on the other side of the page, but he had read the words "guac tower" from the list of things to find, so he guessed that was the building I was pointing to. He knows what guacamole is, but he has probably never seen "guac" before, so he read it as gun.

Love these little moments we have.

Shinkicker

For what it's worth
Jan 30, 2016
Sometimes I wish my boys were little again. They are so much easier to manipulate.

Hubby and 13 year old are floating the river this weekend. I had to work yesterday and I know my 15 year old had his gf over. I also know her mom believes that I was here or it would have never happened.

Trying to decide my course of action here.

Shinkicker

For what it's worth
Jan 30, 2016
My 15 year old does ROTC and wrestling. He has a gym in my garage where he works out on days that he doesn't do PT and conditioning for wrestling. He is strong as an ox. He watches MMA videos. He is very competitive and can not wait to fight someone.
He practices on my 13 year old who hit a growth spurt over the summer and is a big boy (not fat, big). Little bro doesn't want to fight/hurt anyone. He is starting to like wrestling his brother though. He finally caught his brother in a rnc choke the other day and made him tap. It was the best day of his life. Lol

Shinkicker

For what it's worth
Jan 30, 2016
nuraknu @nuraknu , don't heart me yet. I'm leaning towards not saying a word about the gf coming over.

I know it's somewhat a cop out but the last thing I want is more rebellion. He is so in love. Any punishment involving her would make me the instant enemy.

nuraknu

savage
Jul 20, 2016
nuraknu @nuraknu , don't heart me yet. I'm leaning towards not saying a word about the gf coming over.

I know it's somewhat a cop out but the last thing I want is more rebellion. He is so in love. Any punishment involving her would make me the instant enemy.
This is word-for-word the response I was about to post to you:
Sounds like it would not be easy to get your 15-year-old to do what you want, since he knows he can beat you up. I'm pretty sure my 4-year-old already knows he can beat me up too.

Maybe the only gf problem solution is to rat to her parents. But then you're a rat.

Shinkicker

For what it's worth
Jan 30, 2016
So here is my dilemma with my 13 year old, he is a nerd/geek. He won't let anyone manipulate him but avoids conflict at all cost. Well, at least that was the way he was.

It turns out that there is a big boy bully at his school. The boy tormented every group of boys for the whole school year last year. Second day of school and he strolls up to my son's group of friends and starts in name calling and making fun. Remember me saying that he hit a growth spurt over the summer? Well, he straightened his spine and stood up to the bully. The kid threatened to punch him. My son planted his feet and looked him dead in the eye and calmly said, "do it." The bully backed down and every kid in school was cheering him on. Back patting for days. Lol

The bully only backed away, temporarily though, and then only began to escalate.
The bully has now threatened to come to our house to kick his ass.

We discuss it every afternoon. But he has in no certain terms told me that I am NOT to intervene.

It's hard not to mommy up and fix everything for them.

Shinkicker

For what it's worth
Jan 30, 2016
This is word-for-word the response I was about to post to you:
Sounds like it would not be easy to get your 15-year-old to do what you want, since he knows he can beat you up. I'm pretty sure my 4-year-old already knows he can beat me up too.

Maybe the only gf problem solution is to rat to her parents. But then you're a rat.
He could beat me up, emotionally. He would never touch me in anger. His dad would beat him senseless.

I think he was 13 the last time that I tried to whip him. He would turn to keep facing me, arms locked down at his sides and stared me dead in the eye. It was either fight him like a man or give up.

It was kinda like this but with him keeping his ass away from me. Lol

nuraknu

savage
Jul 20, 2016
She is older. I'm afraid her car isn't anything but a damn bedroom on wheels. :(
There isn't really a great answer.

Was is Nick Diaz who told Nate "whatever you do, just don't get any girl pregnant" or something like that? Maybe you can find the quote and embroider it on a pillow for him.

Shinkicker

For what it's worth
Jan 30, 2016
There isn't really a great answer.

Was is Nick Diaz who told Nate "whatever you do, just don't get any girl pregnant" or something like that? Maybe you can find the quote and embroider it on a pillow for him.
I filled his junk drawer full of condoms when they started falling asleep together on facetime.

Sex Chicken

Exotic Dancer
Sep 8, 2015
Just had to wrestle my screaming daughter down to preform a minor surgery. She came home from daycare with a huge chick pea shoved up her nose. I don’t know how she fit it up there in the first place. God I hate making her do things she doesn’t want to do, I can’t handle it. She has a bed head most of the time because as soon as she starts crying I stop brushing her hair. I’m weak.

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
some of the posters/kids of TMMAC do indeed need some parenting
good luck