General Passing Time During The Quarantine

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
That's awesome.

I avoid Walmart at all costs but they sell paint. I'm so sodding bored I'm considering going to buy some to up cycle some night stands. I'll buy milk so it could be considered "essential".
schedule a pick-up, then you only have to see one person for 3 minutes and you're out.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
Good thinking. I need brushes etc but nothing fancy, I can pre order all of it.

Be nice sat outside my garage with some music going doing a bit of painting.
I bought a bunch of car wash stuff. That's the next project with the kids.
It's warming up this week in AZ, and I've been chasing them out of the house on the regular.

silentsinger

Momofuku
Jun 23, 2015
I bought a bunch of car wash stuff. That's the next project with the kids.
It's warming up this week in AZ, and I've been chasing them out of the house on the regular.
I actually enjoy car washing when I get stuck in, so that's another idea.

I've got like 5 books on the go which I haven't finished but my mind's too off with the fairies to take anything in book wise.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
sewing machine for the 6 yo came in today, I busted out the Bernina...we watched some tutorials together...basic stuff like winding the bobbin, dropping the top thread, but I wanted her to 'learn' the way I do - watch a youtube video, then do it while watching the video again. :) I learned everything from watching parents and elders, but youtube is like having a million dads and moms to show you how to do stuff.
I did get frustrated by cheap thread and poor lighting trying to thread the needle, but I got it done.

she managed to lay out two pieces and stitch a seam, so it's a start. We went on Joann and bought a couple yards of fabric she liked...rainbow dogs and such. Kind of a bummer that all the 'ship to home' stuff is a 2 yd minimum...gonna have to make some pillow cases or something. Then we went upstairs and grabbed some of my old t-shirts to cut up tomorrow.

Elastic, pipe cleaners, fabric won't be here until Wed/Thu, so we're going to practice on the old t-shirts for a couple days, make some 'around the house' masks. Hopefully we get to where we can do the ones with a filter pocket by Saturday...then we'll start cranking them out for friends and neighbors....delivery guys, co-workers, whatever.

it's important to me that my kids know that when shit goes down, you don't just sit around and wait for someone to come rescue you. Everybody has to pull together, in the same direction. I'm a little put out that I see people selling masks on Facebook, but that's a rant for a different day.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
sewing machine for the 6 yo came in today, I busted out the Bernina...we watched some tutorials together...basic stuff like winding the bobbin, dropping the top thread, but I wanted her to 'learn' the way I do - watch a youtube video, then do it while watching the video again. :) I learned everything from watching parents and elders, but youtube is like having a million dads and moms to show you how to do stuff.
I did get frustrated by cheap thread and poor lighting trying to thread the needle, but I got it done.

she managed to lay out two pieces and stitch a seam, so it's a start. We went on Joann and bought a couple yards of fabric she liked...rainbow dogs and such. Kind of a bummer that all the 'ship to home' stuff is a 2 yd minimum...gonna have to make some pillow cases or something. Then we went upstairs and grabbed some of my old t-shirts to cut up tomorrow.

Elastic, pipe cleaners, fabric won't be here until Wed/Thu, so we're going to practice on the old t-shirts for a couple days, make some 'around the house' masks. Hopefully we get to where we can do the ones with a filter pocket by Saturday...then we'll start cranking them out for friends and neighbors....delivery guys, co-workers, whatever.

it's important to me that my kids know that when shit goes down, you don't just sit around and wait for someone to come rescue you. Everybody has to pull together, in the same direction. I'm a little put out that I see people selling masks on Facebook, but that's a rant for a different day.
my wife is working on making some masks tonight too. She sews a lot and makes clothes and stuff for the house, so she had a bunch of fabric and elastic on hand. Good way to use up some of the older scraps she has. I think she’s also just happy to have a project to keep her busy.

I did a bunch of shit around the yard today. It rained most of the day and was kind of cold for spring (mid 40s this morning, low 50s later), but I just put on my boots and rain jacket and went to work. Felt good to burn off some energy and get outside, even if the weather sucked.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
my wife is working on making some masks tonight too. She sews a lot and makes clothes and stuff for the house, so she had a bunch of fabric and elastic on hand. Good way to use up some of the older scraps she has. I think she’s also just happy to have a project to keep her busy.

I did a bunch of shit around the yard today. It rained most of the day and was kind of cold for spring (mid 40s this morning, low 50s later), but I just put on my boots and rain jacket and went to work. Felt good to burn off some energy and get outside, even if the weather sucked.
it's getting warm here. Mom is looking up what I can grow in a cedar box over the summer. Mostly as a dry run for the fall/winter.
I don't think it's unreasonable to lay the ground work for something that could legitimately be a necessity. And I want to get outside and bust out some power tools.

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015

my lady is also gonna make a batch of masks

she isn't planning on wearing them, but some people asked so she will make a few batches

she made some prototypes a few weeks back, she sews regularly so has a ton of scraps to use and also needs a hobby to pass the damn quarantine time.

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
it's getting warm here. Mom is looking up what I can grow in a cedar box over the summer. Mostly as a dry run for the fall/winter.
I don't think it's unreasonable to lay the ground work for something that could legitimately be a necessity. And I want to get outside and bust out some power tools.
certainly a very good time investment to start or build up the garden

working on the biggest garden in 20 years right now
and I garden a lot during every one of those 20 years

bought the lady a ton of grow lights and she has 4 racks of 4 foot by 18 inch canopies of micro greens and garden starts...it is getting out of hand...will be interesting to see our electric bill, running 12 4 foot T5 fluorescents 18 hours a day...54 watts a piece I think

she bought a ton of seeds in bulk...I guess micro greens can be packed with perfect protein and super healthy

regular john

Muay Thai World Champion
May 21, 2015
My lady churned out a couple seemingly perfect masks the other day but I couldn’t use it due to breathing. I just kept avoiding people and literally wiping everything I’d touch in the supermarket with alcohol. But she could make a hundred masks a day apparently. She is always making pillows and shit that I have no idea where it comes from. Without a machine. Octavian Augustus would’ve been proud.

mysticmac

First 1025
Oct 18, 2015
I got my order of custom masks today, so I decided to go out and share some of them with my new friends. It was good to see people again, and they seemed to really appreciate me looking out for them too!

Judobill

First 100
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
I did an hour of cardio on our spin bike, then watched some youtube videos with my kids. Thinking about taking a nap.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
tried sewing an old t-shirt. I suck. it just bunches and the feeder feet eat the fabric.
on the plus side, I did have an excuse to troubleshoot the device...amazing little contraptions. It's mechanical voodoo until your bobbin won't feed and you have to take some shit apart. But like anything, the key is to know you're in over your head before you're in over your head.

fortunately, this was just a matter of clearing some debris off the loop mechanism. Thought I bent a needle like a moron, relieved it was simple.

but not playing with that fabric any more, gotta find something better or wait until my Joann shipment lands.

lueVelvet

WHERT DA FERCK?
Aug 29, 2015
I made the mistake of watching Containment on Netflix. Aside from the over the top symptoms etc it’s not that far off lol. Oof.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
I made a mask!

I suck at sewing!

ima keep making masks and sucking at sewing!