Pat Miletich: Matt Hughes ‘surprising the doctors,’ no longer in coma

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014

Outside of his family, few people know UFC Hall of Famer Matt Hughes better than fellow Hall of Famer Pat Miletich.

Miletich, the UFC’s first-ever 170-pound champion, taught what Hughes what he knew as Hughes went on to become the first great, longtime UFC welterweight champion in MMA’s modern era.

So Miletich is as informed as anyone as he relays the latest in Hughes’ battle to recover from a horrific June 16 accident.

Hughes, whose pickup truck was slammed on the passenger side by an oncoming train in Raymond, Ill., is no longer in a coma, Miletich reported on Monday’s edition of The MMA Hour.

“He is surprising the doctors,” Miletich said. “He’s making great leaps and he’s no longer in a coma, and he’s improving. It’s going to be a long road. Any type of head trauma at that level, there’s going to be some rehab.”

Miletich also relayed new details of the accident, explaining that Hughes was apparently stuck on a hill and wasn’t able to cross the track in time to avoid the train.

“The [train] engineer said, Matt had stopped on the gravel road,” Miletich said. “It’s a hill, goes up, it’s a real quick hill that goes up to the railroad tracks. He had stopped, then tried to get across it in time. The train was going almost 50 MPH.

“When you’re out in the country, there’s no crossing guards, there’s no lights,” Miletich continued. “It’s almost like, he saw it, then tried to beat it. What I would say is that, you’re on a gravel road out in country on a hill and you’re trying to punch it and get over, you’re going to swing tires, he didn’t get across in time and got clipped on the passenger side.”

Pat Miletich: Matt Hughes ‘surprising the doctors,’ no longer in coma

Tuc Ouiner

Posting Machine
May 19, 2016
Could be he was engaging in high-risk behavior that country boys often do with a little hooch in 'em. But who knows, the big guy gave him another chance or for y'all liberal city folk, the big lady gave him another chance. Good Luck Sir!

sparkuri

Pulse On The Finger Of The Community
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Could be he was engaging in high-risk behavior that country boys often do with a little hooch in 'em. But who knows, the big guy gave him another chance or for y'all liberal city folk, the big lady gave him another chance. Good Luck Sir!
That's a possibility

SongExotic2

ATM 3 CHAMPION OF THE WORLD. #FREECAIN
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
I just cant see that being the case. I think he just tried to beat it, misjudged the speed of the train + spun his tires just enough to get clipped.
If he wanted he could have drove head on when he saw the train coming. It's very strange tho. He's a man of God too remember, happy to hear he's recovering but morbidly curious as to the details here

nastynate

Jan 31, 2016
sorry for all you people that still believe in fairy tales but there is no god.
give one shread of proof please.
its by the grace of modern science and modern medical advances that he is even still alive.
i hate dumbass religious tards.
think for just 60 seconds on the way the world works please.

Shinkicker

For what it's worth
Jan 30, 2016
I just cant see that being the case. I think he just tried to beat it, misjudged the speed of the train + spun his tires just enough to get clipped.
I hope this is true.

The only problem I have with this is, I was raised in a small town with railroad crossings.
Everyone knows that if a train is within sight, it is close enough to (possibly) make your car stall on the tracks. If you have come to a stop, don't ever try to beat it. You won't have enough momentum to make if across the tracks if it stalls. Now, if you have good enough speed going, you have a shot.

Up hill, on gravel, after stopping. Nope. No. No way.

Edit: I still can't believe it was suicide attempt. Just not smart.

Last edited:

Shinkicker

For what it's worth
Jan 30, 2016
its by the grace of modern science and modern medical advances that he is even still alive.
Well aren't you a Debbie downer.

The only difference is, if there isn't a God no harm, no foul. If there is you're fucked.

Think about that for about 60 seconds.

Haulport

Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
I love people who think they know definitively the answers to the ultimate questions of existence.

The real question is: am I talking about religious believers or the quoted poster.................?

benjo0101

TMMAC Addict
Jun 13, 2016
Thread derailed by someone who believes so passionately against religion it's almost a religion. I have no time to argue with people like that

Cuppers

Lurker
Jul 24, 2017
My instant reaction was that it was intentional as a result of previous head trauma and recently being sacked by the UFC. If he was suffering with mental illness then that might override any religious beliefs. He might not have been in his right mind if only for a few minutes. Of course it's all pure speculation, even if he makes a full recovery he may not even remember what happened, and if he does he may not wish to share it with the world.

The idea that this was anything other than what Militech described is ridiculous to me, he got a little shot of "ahhh I can beat this" and got caught. It happens to the best of us. Good to read he's improving.

Ted Williams' head

It's freezing in here!
Sep 23, 2015
Engineer of the train said he was stopped on the tracks. That sounds more like a suicidal action than a thrill seeking one to me.

Ted Williams' head

It's freezing in here!
Sep 23, 2015
The idea that this was anything other than what Militech described is ridiculous to me
It's all up for speculation at this point, but do you really think the idea of a guy coming out of a head trauma sport who had just been let go from his cushy post-fight life job trying to commit suicide is ridiculous? Especially what we know about CTE now a days, how it can cause severe depression.

It could very well be an accident, but I don't think the idea of an attempted suicide is ridiculous.

Shinkicker

For what it's worth
Jan 30, 2016
The idea that this was anything other than what Militech described is ridiculous to me, he got a little shot of "ahhh I can beat this" and got caught. It happens to the best of us. Good to read he's improving.
Agreed. I mean he's an avid hunter. Why choose to mangle yourself if you have gun?

It's all up for speculation at this point, but do you really think the idea of a guy coming out of a head trauma sport who had just been let go from his cushy post-fight life job trying to commit suicide is ridiculous? Especially what we know about CTE now a days, how it can cause severe depression.

It could very well be an accident, but I don't think the idea of an attempted suicide is ridiculous.
Get a grip dude. By all accounts the guy wasn't struggling for cash and had a farm operation going as he always had been doing, even while fighting.

Shinkicker

For what it's worth
Jan 30, 2016
and you think a bullet travelling through a hunting rifle isn't going to leave a mark?
Of course it will.

I've never had to die. But if I had a choice between a clean shot to the brain stem and being mangled by a train, I'd pick the bullet. Just sayin'

And I'd choose a hand gun not the rifle.

Of course it will.

I've never had to die. But if I had a choice between a clean shot to the brain stem and being mangled by a train, I'd pick the bullet. Just sayin'

And I'd choose a hand gun not the rifle.
fair enough, but your reference to hunting alludes to a hunting rifle, the rest, I'll not discuss.