Paulo Costa urges Yoel Romero to sign the contract, hopes he misses weight at UFC 230

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015

Paulo Costa is 4-0 in the UFC with four knockout stoppages.
Esther Lin, MMA Fighting

The UFC wants heavy-hitters Paulo Costa and Yoel Romero fighting in New York on Nov. 3, but the middleweight bout is not a done deal despite the company’s official announcement.

Romero, who recently underwent surgery after losing a close split decision to middleweight champion Robert Whittakerin June, has yet to agree to the fight, but Costa is confident he eventually will.

”I’ve signed the contract, it’s on for me,” Costa told MMA Fighting. “He has his contract already, he’s just needs to get up the courage and sign it. But he will sign it. He doesn’t have anyone else to fight.”

The undefeated Brazilian was hoping to face former champion Chris Weidman after defeating Uriah Hall earlier this month, but sees Romero as a much bigger fight for him.

”I really liked the fact that they chose Romero. It couldn’t be better,” Costa said. “He’s the No. 1 in the rankings. Let’s do this, let’s get closer to the belt. This is the final step to the belt. I was asking for Weidman, but I didn’t really shoot for the moon. I asked for Weidman, but the UFC thought big and gave me Romero instead. It’s way better. I’m happy. It couldn’t be better.”

Paulo Costa urges Yoel Romero to sign the contract, hopes he misses weight at UFC 230