Society PBS: How Amazon convinced Millions to Welcome Listening Devices into their Homes.

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Enock-O-Lypse Now!

Underneath Denver International Airport
Jun 19, 2016
people used to worry about wire taps LOL
It’s pretty crazy, the generation born in the 1900’s-60’s understood the value of privacy. Would watch what they would say on the telephone back when it was the land line.

The Generation born post 1970’s has no awareness of the dangers of letting big brother into their home. They are oblivious to the consequences of giving up total control.

I’m glad PBS and others are trying to point this out.

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
It’s pretty crazy, the generation born in the 1900’s-60’s understood the value of privacy. Would watch what they would say on the telephone back when it was the land line.

The Generation born post 1970’s has no awareness of the dangers of letting big brother into their home. They are oblivious to the consequences of giving up total control.

I used to deal a "lil" cannabis
only spoke in code
so your timeline is kinda off as far as me...but your point is accurate and clear

somewhere along the line privacy slipped way down the priorities list somehow

silentsinger

Momofuku
Jun 23, 2015
Ha. Friend of mine used to hate me saying "ok, Google, pause" every time I picked the phone up to them. Wonder how many of those calls were recorded?

i have one in every room. i dont give a fuck if they listen. its awesome that they can be used as intercoms..play music in every room at the same time during parties, etc.just having a gmail account..social media, etc... you are being spied on.. they are tracking every site you are on.. what you look at , etc. you cant escape it

Enock-O-Lypse Now!

Jun 19, 2016
i have one in every room. i dont give a fuck if they listen. its awesome that they can be used as intercoms..play music in every room at the same time during parties, etc.just having a gmail account..social media, etc... you are being spied on.. they are tracking every site you are on.. what you look at , etc. you cant escape it
I understand it can be cool and convenient to use this type of tech but there is always a catch to using their tech and that catch is all your data..

So I greatly disagree with your assertion that there is no escape.

There is always an escape ....

-Cut the cord go offline

-VPN / TOR / Cloudflare DNS / Proxy Chains (If you want to continue to use the web)

- do not buy/use their devices / website

Also you may want to touch up on the rise of Nazi Germany - the information they collected and how it was used for the takeover.

Operation Hummingbird - Night of the Long Knives

Every citizen should be vigilant of their privacy and protect it like they would protect their browsing history from their significant other.

MountainMedic

Sep 28, 2017

Born in 70 but my folks (Nam vol in 66 & artist/hippie mom) were full on "never trust the man" and instilled a healthy (some would say robust) level of distrust of the government in me.

Anyone that brings one of those things into their house is a fucking idiot.

I understand it can be cool and convenient to use this type of tech but there is always a catch to using their tech and that catch is all your data..

-Cut the cord go offline

-VPN / TOR / Cloudflare DNS / Proxy Chains (If you want to continue to use the web)

Also you may want to touch up on the rise of Nazi Germany - the information they collected and how it was used for the takeover.

Every citizen should be vigilant of their privacy and protect it like they would protect their browsing history from their significant other.

obviously there is a escape.dont use it. but it is a neccessity nowadays. vpns are garbage. if feds want to know your info they can get it immediately from vpn providers. look up 14 eyes. almost all countries fall into that law. the spying they do is mostly marketing. if i were a politician, or someone that mattered id obviously be more protective. you have to delete your email, social media..and a lot more to be truly hidden.. not buy smart tvs,. smart phones, tablets, computers, etc.. i can go on

Last edited by a moderator:

Rambo John J

First 100
Jan 17, 2015
they are just listening now(we think)

but when will they be doing more?

AKA sending out some sort of harmful wave to affect our health or mind

anything cheap and mass marketed is usually done so for a reason

personally I don't trust

silentsinger

Momofuku
Jun 23, 2015

-Cut the cord go offline

More paranoid about being doxed on a forum by someone with a vendetta. I really have no issue with my Google devices. They're handy.

they are just listening now(we think)

but when will they be doing more?

AKA sending out some sort of harmful wave to affect our health or mind

anything cheap and mass marketed is usually done so for a reason

personally I don't trust
unabomber called all this shit..he was right..but whatever. its not like i am a criminal to get hysterical over this where i worry about being listened to. having a computer or smart phone is just as bad as having these devices. your every movement can be tracked. they can track you by your cell phone usage, get your texts, etc

Rambo John J

First 100
Jan 17, 2015
unabomber called all this shit..he was right..but whatever. its not like i am a criminal to get hysterical over this where i worry about being listened to. having a computer or smart phone is just as bad as having these devices. your every movement can be tracked. they can track you by your cell phone usage, get your texts, etc
i understand this...and you can now be tracked without a device on you anyways

not judging you...we will have to agree to disagree

Personally I leave my phone in my truck and turn it off quite often...I am not inviting google into my home or every room

We may just be in the "let's get them comfortable with this tech" phase...next phase may not be so innocent(no pun intended)

That Manifesto is loaded with truth and foresight

i understand this...and you can now be tracked without a device on you anyways

not judging you...we will have to agree to disagree

Personally I leave my phone in my truck and turn it off quite often...I am not inviting google into my home or every room

We may just be in the "let's get them comfortable with this tech" phase...next phase may not be so innocent(no pun intended)

That Manifesto is loaded with truth and foresight
i understand your point, but personally , i think ordinary people over react. no one gives a shit about normal people unless they are doing something illegal. keep yourself clean and youll have nothing to worry about. a lot of people get vpns and have no clue h ow useless it is. companies like comcast even if they cant see what you are doing will throttle you just for the unusual usage ..downloading a lot, etc. .. the government gives jeff bezos tax breaks...it could very well be to get access to echo devices, etc.. but who knows. i dont personally care because im nobody theyd care to look into like a criminal or someone important that they want to screw with

Never seen the need for one of those devices.
you should see the set up in my house. i basically dont have to lift a finger to do anything in my house. it is all voice command.. turning on lights, my tv, making phone calls, etc.. its awesome. one thing i will never do though is have anything involving smart technology associated with my home security system. im old school with house alarms, a backup battery and a live person calling. people who have the apps to set alarms, etc into their house with smart technology security systems can easily be hacked. that is something i would stay away from

nuraknu

savage
Jul 20, 2016
I will not allow one in my house. Now they have spy camera ring doorbells and devices that let them access people's garages too.

However, they are always listening anyway through the phone, even if you don't give it "permission". This I am sure of because of the ads that pop up based on keywords in conversation that have nothing to do any of my searches etc.

Rambo John J

First 100
Jan 17, 2015
i understand your point, but personally , i think ordinary people over react. no one gives a shit about normal people unless they are doing something illegal. keep yourself clean and youll have nothing to worry about. a lot of people get vpns and have no clue h ow useless it is. companies like comcast even if they cant see what you are doing will throttle you just for the unusual usage ..downloading a lot, etc. .. the government gives jeff bezos tax breaks...it could very well be to get access to echo devices, etc.. but who knows. i dont personally care because im nobody theyd care to look into like a criminal or someone important that they want to screw with
These devices may eventually be used to silence free speech and persecute "thought" crimes...that is a real possibility...possibly already playing out on a mass scale elsewhere as we speak.

I don't do anything illegal anymore, haven't for well over 15 years...it isn't my actions that will ruffle feathers...Can't say the same for my potential thoughts and opinions.

Freedom of speech and Freedom of thought is what this is about.

This stuff is in the constitution, I know you value that.
Give an inch and you will lose a mile.

Rambo John J

First 100
Jan 17, 2015
you should see the set up in my house. i basically dont have to lift a finger to do anything in my house. it is all voice command.. turning on lights, my tv, making phone calls, etc.. its awesome. one thing i will never do though is have anything involving smart technology associated with my home security system. im old school with house alarms, a backup battery and a live person calling. people who have the apps to set alarms, etc into their house with smart technology security systems can easily be hacked. that is something i would stay away from
I prefer mostly manually operated stuff and simple...but to each their own, enjoy.

Ever hear of the Carrington Event?

These devices may eventually be used to silence free speech and persecute "thought" crimes...that is a real possibility...possibly already playing out on a mass scale elsewhere as we speak.

I don't do anything illegal anymore, haven't for well over 15 years...it isn't my actions that will ruffle feathers...Can't say the same for my potential thoughts and opinions.

Freedom of speech and Freedom of thought is what this is about.

This stuff is in the constitution, I know you value that.
Give an inch and you will lose a mile.
no doubt in the future that may happen but i doubt this will be a communis t country like that. at least not in my lifetime.. maybe when the newer generations become the majority and this country is completely pussified. the first sign of that will be when they successfully take away guns. that is when they will start taking more rights away. and then you cant do shit about it.

Enock-O-Lypse Now!

Jun 19, 2016
but personally , i think ordinary people over react. no one gives a shit about normal people unless they are doing something illegal.

i dont personally care because im nobody theyd care to look into like a criminal or someone important that they want to screw with

Rambo John J

First 100
Jan 17, 2015
no doubt in the future that may happen but i doubt this will be a communis t country like that. at least not in my lifetime.. maybe when the newer generations become the majority and this country is completely pussified. the first sign of that will be when they successfully take away guns. that is when they will start taking more rights away. and then you cant do shit about it.
what if the "future" arrives sooner than you anticipate?
Personally I will stick up for all rights...Right Now.

If you are OK with full surveillance, that is on you...to each their own.

To me, the Constitution separates this country from many others. I choose to respect it by not giving up the rights it grants.

i get what you guys are saying, but until you guys get rid of your smartphones or anything smart technology, you cant say anything. they can listen to you on your phone in the same way as they do your echo. same with smart tvs