General Peasant cuisine

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Lord Vutulaki

Banned
Jan 16, 2015
Im a big fan of poor people's food, Id much rather a plate of cheap cuts of meat cooked properly over a bed of rice than a fancy restaurant meal.

In my endeavour to find new recipes I stumbled across this old darling of a lady, she just looks like she knows how to cook and at 91 having fed people through the depression she does.

If any of you have a youtube account can you please sub her? I think its a great channel and I fear these recipes will be lost as we move into an age where even poor folk can afford a porterhouse due to GMO grain feed for example.

Here's a link to her channel

Great Depression Cooking

Whats even better is its mainly Italian grub (if im not mistaken)

Lord Vutulaki

Banned
Jan 16, 2015
Mix6APlix @Mix6APlix you seem like a guy who likes peasant grub and by that I mean you would have a well developed palate and able to see past pretentious culinary bullshit. Got anything to share? thoughts on that Nona? (SP?)

Mix6APlix

The more you cry, the less I care.
Oct 20, 2015
I appreciate all food if properly prepared. I sear, smoke and crock pot a 6 dollar pot roast and eat happily for days, either over rice or potatoes or as a sandwich.

What I like to do is strain out the braising liquid and pour it in to a cup, then refrigerate it over night. As it cools, the beef fat will basically become a solidified 'puck' of goodness. I'll cut it out and wrap it up in cellophane, then use it instead of (or with) butter next time, usually that night, in frying up some potatoes. And then you still retain the rest of the braising liquid to sauce the roast regardless of how you are eating it.

Mix6APlix

The more you cry, the less I care.
Oct 20, 2015
By 'Italian', I assume you mean pasta. Pasta spans the spectrum from 'peasant cuisine' as you put it, to 5 star cuisine depending on what it may be paired with.

ECC170

Monster's 11,ATM 2,Parlay Challenge,Hero GP Champ
Pro Fighter
Jan 23, 2015
Fried mushrooms & ONIONS YUMMM

SongExotic2

ATM 3 CHAMPION OF THE WORLD. #FREECAIN
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
I got a burrito from taco Bell last night. I asked for no lettuce then my card wouldn't swipe. So I gave him a credit card instead and he swiped it and was like oh it worked the last time I swiped. So cunt charged me twice. He was gonna get his manager to unfuck it but I told him it's a dollar I don't care.

Get back to my hotel and it had fucking lettuce in it.

Dickhead

SongExotic2

ATM 3 CHAMPION OF THE WORLD. #FREECAIN
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Easy food for me is tuna. Just slam some salt and vinegar on it and wolf it down. Good times

mysticmac

First 1025
Oct 18, 2015
Im a big fan of poor people's food, Id much rather a plate of cheap cuts of meat cooked properly over a bed of rice than a fancy restaurant meal.

In my endeavour to find new recipes I stumbled across this old darling of a lady, she just looks like she knows how to cook and at 91 having fed people through the depression she does.

If any of you have a youtube account can you please sub her? I think its a great channel and I fear these recipes will be lost as we move into an age where even poor folk can afford a porterhouse due to GMO grain feed for example.

Here's a link to her channel

Great Depression Cooking

Whats even better is its mainly Italian grub (if im not mistaken)
I think she died. The last video was three years ago.

Jesus X

4 drink minimum.
Sep 7, 2015
lentils was my go to poor peoples with some carrots. nutritious and cheap ass hell.

Shinkicker

For what it's worth
Jan 30, 2016
Tried it a few times, its the meal our side ate in ww1 & 2, ground meat fried in milk then dumped on a slice of bread right?
Well yeah kinda. You fry your meat. I drain the meat and set aside. Some people leave it in. You add flour to the grease and make a paste, brown it to preference. I like mine a lil darker than mocha. Add milk and the meat, stir to make a gravy.

And I toast my bread.

otaku1

TMMAC Addict
Jul 16, 2015
Well yeah kinda. You fry your meat. I drain the meat and set aside. Some people leave it in. You add flour to the grease and make a paste, brown it to preference. I like mine a lil darker than mocha. Add milk and the meat, stir to make a gravy.

And I toast my bread.
Sorry but that's fine dining.

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
By 'Italian', I assume you mean pasta. Pasta spans the spectrum from 'peasant cuisine' as you put it, to 5 star cuisine depending on what it may be paired with.
You ever notice Italians aren't allowed to complain about "cultural appropriation"?