Pederneiras defends Reebok deal, calls potential union a 'rebellion' against the UFC

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014

One week after Jose Aldo gave a very detailed and angry interview about how dissatisfied he was with the new UFC and Reebok deal, his coach and head of the Nova Uniao gym, Andre Pederneiras, had some pretty surprising counterpoints, which he revealed to Portal do Vale Tudo.

While Aldo suggested all fighters should get together to fight the new deal in order not to lose their sponsorship money, especially the newcomers who earn less than everybody else, Pederneiras defended the business aspect of the agreement. He also believes whoever is unhappy with the deal should leave the UFC.

"The UFC is a private company. It's like my gym, it's mine and no one should say anything about it. If I come up with a rule that must be followed by everybody, whoever is unhappy should say ‘I don't like to work under those conditions and I'm leaving'. Cool, that's their right. But if they want to work for me, they need to accept the rule. Unfortunately, not all rules will benefit everybody. They must understand the UFC makes rules for the well-being of the company. If the UFC goes bankrupt tomorrow, not a single fighter will hand Dana White and the Fertittas money from their pockets to pay their bills. Here's what I think, if you're there, you must subject yourself to the rules. Whoever doesn't want to, should leave."

Pederneiras' also disagrees with the potential fighter's union, which was also brought up by Jose Aldo last week. For him, fighters just don't understand how a company works.

"Now, fighters wanting to get together and start a rebellion against the UFC, I don't think that's the way to go. Everyone who owns a company will agree with me. Sometimes employees don't understand, but an owner must know what's best for his business, which is what the UFC is doing and it's something I have done many times."

LINK: Pederneiras defends Reebok deal, calls potential union a 'rebellion' against the UFC - Bloody Elbow

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
How are they supposed to leave the UFC, Andre? They're locked into contracts that won't allow them to do so, and the company that you're defending can shelve them for up to 12 months between fights.

What odd statements coming from Pederneiras...

MMAHAWK

Real Gs come from California.America Muthafucker
Feb 5, 2015
I agree with Andre and as a result the UFC should allow the unconditional release of any fighter that wants to leave.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
I agree with Andre and as a result the UFC should allow the unconditional release of any fighter that wants to leave.
It's either/or for me...either the UFC allow unconditional release, or the fighters form an association to improve their leverage & protect their interests.

MMAHAWK

Real Gs come from California.America Muthafucker
Feb 5, 2015
It's either/or for me...either the UFC allow unconditional release, or the fighters form an association to improve their leverage & protect their interests.
correct I'm not sure how the UFC can just change all the fighters contracts in the middle of them.

dacofty

Yea..Ok..Whatever
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
I agree any fighter that wants to leave should be allowed, in the same breath I think that forming a union would be healthy, Im sure the UFC brass has gotten to this guy and he is trying to smooth it over. Bottom line is the UFC without a union is bad for the sport.

kneeblock

Drapetomaniac
Apr 18, 2015
This completely puzzles me. Has Andre been corrupted by the dark side? He's literally the last guy I'd expect to be making these comments.

I hope his getting out of the training game doesn't herald an impending schism at NU.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
And WTF is this?

"If the UFC goes bankrupt tomorrow, not a single fighter will hand Dana White and the Fertittas money from their pockets to pay their bills."

Yeah, I totally see where Andre's coming from here. I mean, how would the Ferttita's and Dana possibly make it Zuffa went bankrupt? They're right there in the same position as the fighters financially. Having to work a side job to make ends meets...living paycheck to paycheck. I feel for them.

Andre is so far out in left field with his analogy and reasoning, that I almost want to write this off as trolling. Almost...

Last edited:

Zeph

TMMAC Addict
Jan 22, 2015
This completely puzzles me. Has Andre been corrupted by the dark side? He's literally the last guy I'd expect to be making these comments.

I hope his getting out of the training game doesn't herald an impending schism at NU.
Andre runs, or has a stake in, a promotion in Brazil. A fighters union would likely make his life harder.

Robbie Hart

All Biden Voters Are Mindless Sheep
Feb 13, 2015
Andre runs, or has a stake in, a promotion in Brazil. A fighters union would likely make his life harder.
im fuc-ing naive but there seems to be a bias to his comments and if you are correct (which I will take your word on it), totally facking agree.

OhWhopDaChamp

TMMAC Addict
Apr 20, 2015
Other than Nate Diaz, I wonder how many fighters have actually asked to be released? That would be good info to know and what the UFC response was to the request.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Other than Nate Diaz, I wonder how many fighters have actually asked to be released? That would be good info to know and what the UFC response was to the request.
Not many have come out publicly, thats for sure. I would indeed love to know how many have asked behind the scenes and what the response was.