Pedestrian seriously injured by sofa falling 130ft from luxury London hotel

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

jason73

Yuri Bezmenov was right
First 100
Jan 15, 2015

The W London hotel in Leicester Square contains a number of private rented apartments on the top level of the building. Photograph: Toby Melville/Reuters

Chris Johnston

A man has suffered serious injuries to his head and face after being struck by a sofa that fell from the roof of a luxury hotel in central London.

The pedestrian, who is in his 20s, was walking past the W hotel on Wardour Street, near Leicester Square, just before 9am on Friday when a metal-framed outdoor sofa fell 130ft to the ground.

Police said the man was taken by air ambulance to Royal London hospital in Whitechapel and was in a critical but stable condition. A Met police spokesman said: “At this early stage it is believed he was injured by a piece of furniture which fell from scaffolding.”

A passer-by told the Sun that the victim “looked like his face had been ripped off”.

A London Ambulance Service spokeswoman said: “We treated a man at the scene for a major head injury and took him as a priority to a major trauma centre at a hospital in central London.”

A W hotel spokesman said the piece of furniture belonged to one of the private apartments on the top level of the building, the Sun reported.

The private rented W Residences are managed by property company Knight Frank. A spokeswoman for Starwood Hotels, owner of W Hotels, said it was aware of an incident at the Swiss Centre, which houses W London Leicester Square.

“The exact circumstances of this accident are still being investigated by the local authorities, which we support in their investigations,” she said. “Our thoughts and prayers go to the gentleman concerned, who is being treated in hospital for his injuries.”

Police and health and safety officers from Westminster council are investigating the incident.

A spokeswoman for Knight Frank said: “We are aware of an incident in London’s West End. We will fully cooperate with the ongoing investigation. We are unable to comment further.”

Hired Gun

If You Only Knew What I Dooooo
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Many yrs ago I was with a security team protecting some sudo celebs you all would know. Shit went bad as they're drug use got out of control so we decided to wash our hands of them and take them back to their hotel which infuriated them. When they got to the hotel they went upstairs and threw one of those tv/armoires off the 3rd story balcony onto the sidewalk. They did over 30g's worth of damage before they were done to include going through the wall into the next suite.

Shit was crazy

Jesus X

4 drink minimum.
Sep 7, 2015
when I used to work removing rental furniture, one of the workers had a couch fall on him from 15 feet and it broke his arm and shoulder. I really surprised this person is alive this was from 13 storeys high that is a huge distance.

Apr 3, 2015
that is some majorly fucked up shit.

was it a full on metal apartment couch? or some deck / lawn furniture?

I would like to assume the latter due to surviving the drop.

BJTT_Pella

I want to go fishing.
Jun 25, 2015
Many yrs ago I was with a security team protecting some sudo celebs you all would know. Shit went bad as they're drug use got out of control so we decided to wash our hands of them and take them back to their hotel which infuriated them. When they got to the hotel they went upstairs and threw one of those tv/armoires off the 3rd story balcony onto the sidewalk. They did over 30g's worth of damage before they were done to include going through the wall into the next suite.

Shit was crazy

Sorry about that bro.