General Pellet Grills & Smokers TME

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
A while back (about 1.5 years ago) my wife offered me a deal: If I knocked out some big projects around the house that we wanted done, she would buy me a pellet grill/smoker. I am nearing the end of the list, hopefully in the next couple of weeks. I had mostly forgotten about this proposed offer, but she reminded me the other day by telling me that I should start shopping since I'm on the last big project from that list. Good lady she is ;)

A couple of years ago I was all geared up to buy one, but I ended up holding off as I already had an egg-style smoker. I don't know much about them, and at the time I was looking at Traeger, mostly because that's the name brand I was seeing all the time. But now it seems like there are all kinds of offerings out there. I've never had one of my own, and I don't really know much about them. A couple of buddies have pellet rigs, and I've had food off of them before, but I've never used one completely independently.

Any recommendations/suggestions as far as brand, size, quality, accessories, cooking tips, etc.?

Being in Texas, I will definitely be using it for brisket. But I also want to smoke a turkey (and chickens too), and I'm sure many other things will come up as I learn how to utilize it.

BeardOfKnowledge @JorgeMasvidalsBeard tagging you in here because the other day I saw you post somewhere that you too have also been threatening to buy one for a while.

P.S. If Splinty @Splinty tells me I should boil meat first before putting it on the smoker, I will probably lose my shit ;)

Last edited:

ThatOneDude

Commander in @Chief, Dick Army
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
A while back (about 1.5 years ago) my wife offered me a deal: If I knocked out some big projects around the house that we wanted done, she would by me a pellet grill/smoker. I am nearing the end of the list, hopefully in the next couple of weeks. I had mostly forgotten about this proposed offer, but she reminded me the other day by telling me that I should start shopping since I'm on the last big project from that list. Good lady she is ;)

A couple of years ago I was all geared up to buy one, but I ended up holding off as I already had an egg-style smoker. I don't know much about them, and at the time I was looking at Traeger, mostly because that's the name brand I was seeing all the time. But now it seems like there are all kinds of offerings out there. I've never had one of my own, and I don't really know much about them. A couple of buddies have pellet rigs, and I've had food off of them before, but I've never used one completely independently.

Any recommendations/suggestions as far as brand, size, quality, accessories, cooking tips, etc.?

Being in Texas, I will definitely be using it for brisket. But I also want to smoke a turkey (and chickens too), and I'm sure many other things will come up as I learn how to utilize it.

BeardOfKnowledge @JorgeMasvidalsBeard tagging you in here because the other day I saw you post somewhere that you too have also been threatening to buy one for a while.

P.S. If Splinty @Splinty tells me I should boil meat first before putting it on the smoker, I will probably lose my shit ;)
Get one with a programmable controller. I used to put a brisket in at 10:30/11 PM, set up the cook program, fill up the hopper and go to sleep. It's super convenient.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
Get one with a programmable controller. I used to put a brisket in at 10:30/11 PM, set up the cook program, fill up the hopper and go to sleep. It's super convenient.
These are the kind of features I'm interested in or looking for. So maybe I don't end up with a base model, but at the same time I don't need anything crazy either. Seems like many have apps for monitoring, a couple of meat probes, auto temp control, and all that kind of jazz.

ThatOneDude

First 100
Jan 14, 2015
These are the kind of features I'm interested in or looking for. So maybe I don't end up with a base model, but at the same time I don't need anything crazy either. Seems like many have apps for monitoring, a couple of meat probes, auto temp control, and all that kind of jazz.
So when I had one I had a pretty basic pellet smoker and added a pwm controller. A lot have that feature now, which also means they will have at least 1 meat probe. Wifi is nice so you can keep at eye on the smoker while you do other things.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
Good! Imo pellet smokers are all about convenience. You'll probably want to pick up a smoke tube and a small propane torch if you don't have one.
I agree, convenience is a big factor for me. I have a torch, but expand please on why the smoke tube and torch? Is it just for extra smoke/flavor than what the grill does on it's own?

SuperPig

Enjoy yourselves
Aug 7, 2015
A while back (about 1.5 years ago) my wife offered me a deal: If I knocked out some big projects around the house that we wanted done, she would by me a pellet grill/smoker. I am nearing the end of the list, hopefully in the next couple of weeks. I had mostly forgotten about this proposed offer, but she reminded me the other day by telling me that I should start shopping since I'm on the last big project from that list. Good lady she is ;)

Everyone knows that you smoke before you boil. Locks in the smoke better.

ThatOneDude

First 100
Jan 14, 2015
I agree, convenience is a big factor for me. I have a torch, but expand please on why the smoke tube and torch? Is it just for extra smoke/flavor than what the grill does on it's own?
Yea, that's exactly it. If you have another smoker you will notice the smoke taste is much lighter on a pellet grill. You can get a "better" smoke flavor with a smoke tube and using better pellets like the Lumber Jack brand.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
Yea, that's exactly it. If you have another smoker you will notice the smoke taste is much lighter on a pellet grill. You can get a "better" smoke flavor with a smoke tube and using better pellets like the Lumber Jack brand.
Good tip, and good to know
*thumbs up*

ThatOneDude

First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Oh, and get your Lumber Jack pellets from Dicks. They price match and Rural King has them really cheap.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
Oh, and get your Lumber Jack pellets from Dicks. They price match and Rural King has them really cheap.
Do you have a wood flavor preference? I'm sure that changes depending on what you're making....

I like hickory a lot and use that the most, but also like oak and pecan (all of which look like Lumber Jack has available). Looks like they also have a combo bag of oak-hickory-cherry. I don't use mesquite a lot, but I'm sure I will try it out in pellet form.

ThatOneDude

First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Do you have a wood flavor preference? I'm sure that changes depending on what you're making....

I like hickory a lot and use that the most, but also like oak and pecan (all of which look like Lumber Jack has available). Looks like they also have a combo bag of oak-hickory-cherry. I don't use mesquite a lot, but I'm sure I will try it out in pellet form.
I like the hickory charcoal blend they have, or just straight hickory. Mrs. White is a big hickory fan so that's why I typically use.

Screenshot_20210630-152036.png

ThatOneDude

First 100
Jan 14, 2015
I just saw that one too. I like the idea of getting some charcoal flavor in there. The pellets are actually pretty affordable, although I don't know how long a 20 lb bag will last.
It lasts a few cooks depending on what you are doing. If I remember correctly you could easily do a couple long smokes in a bag.

Belobog

First 100
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Recteq seems to be the most commonly recommended for mid level price.

I have the Weber SmokeFire because I feel like it's the best combination of smoking and grilling. It doesn't have a large heat deflector under the whole cooking area. The downside is that fat drippings are more likely to flare up if you turn up the heat after a long cook of something fatty.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
Recteq seems to be the most commonly recommended for mid level price.

I have the Weber SmokeFire because I feel like it's the best combination of smoking and grilling. It doesn't have a large heat deflector under the whole cooking area. The downside is that fat drippings are more likely to flare up if you turn up the heat after a long cook of something fatty.
The Recteq look nice, and they certainly appear to be reviewed well. I'm going to look into those a bit more, thanks.

I've seen the Weber ones, but haven't ever seen them in action. You like yours as a smoker? How does it perform as a grill?

ThatOneDude

First 100
Jan 14, 2015
I think pitboss has the heat deflector for smoking but has a trap door for searing. People seem to like those.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
My little Davy Crockett from Green Mountain is killer. It’s big enough for four people and is super easy to use, and relatively inexpensive. They have larger ones, as well, but not necessary for us.
Davy Crockett - Green Mountain Grills
I’ve never used one, but a buddy has a Green Mountain and says he likes it better than his old Traeger.
I think this is the one he has:

ThatOneDude

First 100
Jan 14, 2015
I’ve never used one, but a buddy has a Green Mountain and says he likes it better than his old Traeger.
I think this is the one he has:
Also a good brand.

ThatOneDude

First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Really just get any one of the major brands. Get the one with the features you want, the size hopper you'd like, the grill area you want, and looks the best.