People don't hate Sage Northcutt

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014

What I've noticed in the past 12 hours on social media is, mainstream MMA outlet members acting utterly dumbfounded at the negative backlash to Sage Northcutt's loss to Bryan Barberena at UFC on Fox 18. And the common theme seems to be that MMA fans are happy that Sage lost, because they 'hate' him.

I've got a question for these MMA journalists. Are you blind, delusional, or simply afraid to state the obvious? Because MMA fans don't 'hate' Sage Northcutt. What they do seem to hate however is, the UFC's obvious agenda to shove certain fighters down our throats, via overly obnoxious hype & promotion. They also seem to hate preferential treatment and the idea that there seems to be a chosen few. These things lead to people hoping a fighter will lose, so the UFC loses in some way.

So instead of accusing MMA fans of being haters, because it's the easy thing to do. Maybe, just maybe, these journalists would be better served by actually investigating (or admitting) the real reason this negative backlash tends to occur when one of the chosen few is handed a loss. Because guess what, the MMA media is part of the problem. They're either advised to get behind the UFC hype train, or they blindly do so...which only adds to this 'hate'. Either way, they may want to look in the mirror.

End rant.

P

Punch

Agreed to a point. Some people legit can't stand to see someone younger, better looking, more successful, given more opportunities in life, etc. Rather than turn that into something positive, like motivation for improving their own lives they take the easiest road available to them, because that's all they think they can do.

Sweets

All Around Dumbass
Feb 9, 2015
That's a lot of disgruntled contractors there, at least James Vick focused it in the right direction.

Ghost Bro

Wololo ~Leave no turn unstoned
Nov 13, 2015
It's extremely easy for the UFC to push stars..There's a common motif. "Everyone's talking about this guy!" Sure, because that's all the UFC talks about to their media, then that's the thing that reporters as well talk about.. that's happened with their biggest stars, always.100% agree with OP, I wanted to see Sage lose just so that maybe they find a better business plan, rather than just trying to cash in on fighters.

I feel bad for Sage, he clearly isn't ready to compete in the UFC, he's talented enough, sure, but all this was just too much too soon for him.

Ghost Bro

Wololo ~Leave no turn unstoned
Nov 13, 2015
Oh and yeah, can someone bump the "fighters should bring more to the table" thread, that'd be cool.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Wild @Wild this is a part of the reasoning why I told you I can't stay committed to twitter, waaaaaay too many idiots.

Great post by the way. I'd love to see guys like DMaddenMMA @DMaddenMMA or Brian J. D'Souza @Brian J. D'Souza write somerhing to the effect of what you're saying here. It's not the fans who create this larger than life persona of these fighters who are hyped so hard, its the promotions and they should be the ones feeling the backlash not the kid who just lost. Hopefully Sage learnded some things in there and can continue to develop.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Wild @Wild this is a part of the reasoning why I told you I can't stay committed to twitter, waaaaaay too many idiots.

Great post by the way. I'd love to see guys like DMaddenMMA @DMaddenMMA or Brian J. D'Souza @Brian J. D'Souza write somerhing to the effect of what you're saying here. It's not the fans who create this larger than life persona of these fighters who are hyped so hard, its the promotions and they should be the ones feeling the backlash not the kid who just lost. Hopefully Sage learnded some things in there and can continue to develop.
Idiots are everywhere on the internet. Gotta ignore the bad, and focus on the good my man. Ty for the kind words. My first attempt at an 'opinion piece' to share via social media.

Shy Guy

Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right...
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Some of these same guys were part of the hype train prior to last night.
Was Robin hyping Sage? I know Brendan was because much like Rogan, he jumps on whatever train the UFC is riding at the moment.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Idiots are everywhere on the internet. Gotta ignore the bad, and focus on the good my man. Ty for the kind words. My first attempt at an 'opinion piece' to share via social media.
Not true, you seem to put many opinion pieces out on Miesha when the opportunity arises. Keep up the good work.

DMaddenMMA

May 15, 2015

What a great shout out! I really appreciate that. I agree; Wild @Wild's piece here was well done. I may just do what all the other media outlets do: copy and paste.

Pitbull9

Daddy
Jan 28, 2015
Hahaha fucking Dana. I'm telling you guys we will see the demise of the UFC in our time. Fighters know what's up and they are also sick of it. If another org can offer the same as the UFC the tide will change. Might take some time but I think it is inevitable that it will happen.

Ted Williams' head

It's freezing in here!
Sep 23, 2015
I feel bad for him, to be honest. Yeah he was overhyped, but that wasn't his fault. He always seemed like a nice kid, always laughing and just happy to be there. A guy like Dana White meets you and wants to strap the jetpack on you and fly you to the moon, who would turn that down? He would have been an idiot not to ride the hype train. He's an amazing athlete, has a lot of talent and he's not even 20 yet. Hopefully this humbles him and gets him to stick with a world-class camp.

pattitude

Posting Machine
Pro Fighter
Oct 25, 2015
Pushed too hard and too soon.

Of course the kid is going to take every fight he can; he's in his physical prime and he still has that "I'm invincible" feeling that most teenagers have!

Dana is desperately looking for another cross-over star like GSP. Keep looking, Dana. And when you find him/her, don't fuck it up like you've already done - twice.

And while you're at it, throw out the WWF style booking; it's the fans who choose who they support, not you.

mmadotcomisufcdotcom

Oct 26, 2015
I don't know if sage had ever been in that position? Maybe he also has never trained to deep waters and I'm training is used to tapping to a position where you are "beat." If you are stuck, you tap. That is kind of "Martial Arts."

Sage was pulled out of TriStar iirc. Internet rumor was he was being pressed to hard. They would try to take him to deep waters.

So in theory, the guy has not been in a lot of tests, he is used to tapping before being hurt or going out and maybe used to tapping in tough positions to move his style of training along. Now if he did not know this position, and thought he was fucked, I could see the tap making more sense.

The tap was almost hesitant. Definitely odd. And he seemed surprised after. Like he made a mental mistake and then realized it. Maybe realized he was not in training?

If he is going to be a fighter he will need to go train where they put him in every position they can and he is forced to work his way out repeatedly. I don't know. I could be full of shit here.

mmadotcomisufcdotcom

Oct 26, 2015
One thing that has struck me, maybe I am the only one, but his punching flurries almost come off as child-like. There is a gift that floats around that the UFC promotes and he is throwing weird flailing wrist pillow fist punches. Like I said, maybe it is just me?

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Can't believe how much positive feedback this has received on Twitter.