General Pete Buttigieg making fools of Fox News yet again

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

John Lee Pettimore

Further south than you
May 18, 2021
Buttigieg is a corporatist ambitionbot, but I'd have been far happier to see him in the Oval Office than either Trump or Biden. Bring back Presidents who are articulate, obviously highly intelligent, well prepared and in command of the facts, and with life experience that extends beyond a) politics, b) law firms, c) Daddy's company.

And not 70-something years old, for fucks sakes.

??

Last edited:

Speaker to Animals

encephalopathetic
May 16, 2021
Buttigieg is a corporatist ambitionbot, but I'd have been far happier to see him in the Oval Office than either Trump or Biden. Bring back Presidents who are articulate, obviously highly intelligent, well prepared and in command of the facts.

??

Dick Niaz

Yearning for TMMAC days gone by
Jan 14, 2018
(I’ll preface by saying I am a Libertarian without a dog in the Republican vs Democrat fights).

All mainstream news channels lost my viewership many years ago. I can’t stand bias or forced narratives of any kind, and even though there is no such thing as truly objective journalism, I find the biggest industry players to be the biggest culprits. I can’t stand Fox News, but I don’t see them any worse than an MSNBC, for example. They both are horrible for the public and our mental health.

I just wish there was more consistency amongst the public on this. I feel that Right vilifies the MSNBCs of the world just like the Left vilifies outlets like Fox News. What kills me though is the confirmation bias that goes into this way of thinking - people would rather feel justified hating player than the game. The polarized, sensational crap that all these channels put out to court ratings will never end if people don’t call out both extremes for those kind of tactics.

FINGERS

TMMAC Addict
Nov 14, 2019
Buttigieg is a corporatist ambitionbot, but I'd have been far happier to see him in the Oval Office than either Trump or Biden. Bring back Presidents who are articulate, obviously highly intelligent, well prepared and in command of the facts, and with life experience that extends beyond a) politics, b) law firms, c) Daddy's company.

??
Pete's step bro is Elon Musk bruh

John Lee Pettimore

Further south than you
May 18, 2021
(I’ll preface by saying I am a Libertarian without a dog in the Republican vs Democrat fights).

All mainstream news channels lost my viewership many years ago. I can’t stand bias or forced narratives of any kind, and even though there is no such thing as truly objective journalism, I find the biggest industry players to be the biggest culprits. I can’t stand Fox News, but I don’t see them any worse than an MSNBC, for example. They both are horrible for the public and our mental health.

I just wish there was more consistency amongst the public on this. I feel that Right vilifies the MSNBCs of the world just like the Left vilifies outlets like Fox News. What kills me though is the confirmation bias that goes into this way of thinking - people would rather feel justified hating player than the game. The polarized, sensational crap that all these channels put out to court ratings will never end if people don’t call out both extremes for those kind of tactics.
Used to be that what you are complaining about, wasn't such a problem.

The Fairness Doctrine existed, and "required the holders of broadcast licenses both to present controversial issues of public importance and to do so in a manner that was honest, equitable, and balanced."

Right-wingers HATED it, because reality has a liberal bias and that infuriates them. So in 1986, four Republican-appointed FCC commissioners killed it.

Rush Limbaugh signed his first nationwide radio contract less than a year later.

Within a decade, Faux Noise was up and running - a "news" network founded explicitly on the principle that there was a lot of money to be made from making conservatives angry and afraid. And they were spectacularly right about that.

The media ecosystem in America has been absolutely fucked ever since. There is no such thing as Walter Cronkite any more, and that's because of the loss of the Fairness Doctrine and the explicit permission that its loss gave networks to traffic in narratives rather than news.

??

Last edited:

Qat

QoQ
Nov 3, 2015

@Lars anonymous sources confirmed that ^ this guy wants to fite you real bad

Dick Niaz

Jan 14, 2018
Used to be that what you are complaining about, wasn't such a problem.

The Fairness Doctrine existed, and "required the holders of broadcast licenses both to present controversial issues of public importance and to do so in a manner that was honest, equitable, and balanced."

Right-wingers HATED it, because reality has a liberal bias and that infuriates them. So in 1986, four Republican-appointed FCC commissioners killed it.

Rush Limbaugh signed his first nationwide radio contract less than a year later.

Within a decade, Faux Noise was up and running - a "news" network founded explicitly on the principle that there was a lot of money to be made from making conservatives angry and afraid. And they were spectacularly right about that.

The media ecosystem in America has been absolutely fucked ever since. There is no such thing as Walter Cronkite any more, and that's because of the loss of the Fairness Doctrine and the explicit permission that its loss gave networks to traffic in narratives rather than news.

??
See, your response is a great example of what I was saying. The vilification is only pointed in one direction without the acknowledgement that both extremes are complicit. You say society has a liberal bias, but you can’t make that broad brush statement when half of society has a conservative bias. Your personal lens creates your reality, just like it does for conservatives. People aren’t evil on the whole but the media has done a great job of creating that polarization.
Now I don’t expect you will be able to see that or admit it because you are so passionate about your personal views that you feel anyone else who sees it differently is wrong, but that is the exact point I’m trying to make… people need to step out of the matrix and call out efforts from both sides to indoctrinate society into thinking everything is binary instead of infinite degrees of gray.

John Lee Pettimore

Further south than you
May 18, 2021
See, your response is a great example of what I was saying. The vilification is only pointed in one direction without the acknowledgement that both extremes are complicit. You say society has a liberal bias, but you can’t make that broad brush statement when half of society has a conservative bias. Your personal lens creates your reality, just like it does for conservatives. People aren’t evil on the whole but the media has done a great job of creating that polarization.
Now I don’t expect you will be able to see that or admit it because you are so passionate about your personal views that you feel anyone else who sees it differently is wrong, but that is the exact point I’m trying to make… people need to step out of the matrix and call out efforts from both sides to indoctrinate society into thinking everything is binary instead of infinite degrees of gray.

I gave you real world examples and a rough sketch of the history of how the media got to this point.

You acknowledged exactly none of it, and essentially just called me a pigheaded idiot.

I have PLENTY of criticisms to make of CNN and MSNBC. PLENTY. For a start, news is not entertainment and shouldn't be presented as such. Second, CNN and MSNBC are too emotional and too agenda driven in their coverage of Trump, and they amplified and promoted FAR too much of his bullshit, and generally played right into his hands.

But they don't straight up LIE as much as the right wing media do, and their audience aren't as deliberately ignorant as Fox's audience. Again, this is all backed by evidence. I'm sorry that you don't like to hear, read or acknowledge that evidence, but it doesn't mean that it doesn't exist or isn't relevant.

Also, I didn't say that "society" has a liberal bias. I said that REALITY does. Which is true, and it's why - over a span of decades - conservatives only retreat. They spent the last half century telling us that being gay was unnatural and offensive to God and they're all pedophiles - well, gay people are just people, it just takes conservatives a few extra decades to catch up. Same with black people having civil rights. Same with women having the vote. Same with the Bible not actually being a literal factual record of natural history. Same with "don't beat your kids". Same with getting religion out of government and schools. Etc etc etc.

You don't want me to tell you you're wrong when you make binary statements like "they're both exactly the same", backed by nothing? Give me something other than your feelings. I gave you the origin event in the polarisation of American media over the last quarter century - who killed the media landscape that you are calling to return to, and why they killed it, and what inevitably happened next. It's not a secret, it's just history. You don't like to hear the reasons? Give me something real to back your case, and I'm all ears.

??

Last edited:

Dick Niaz

Jan 14, 2018
I gave you real world examples and a rough sketch of the history of how the media got to this point.

You acknowledged exactly none of it, and essentially just called me a pigheaded idiot.

I have PLENTY of criticisms to make of CNN and MSNBC. PLENTY. For a start, news is not entertainment and shouldn't be presented as such. Second, CNN and MSNBC are too emotional and too agenda driven in their coverage of Trump, and they amplified and promoted FAR too much of his bullshit, and generally played right into his hands.

But they don't straight up LIE as much as the right wing media do, and their audience aren't as deliberately ignorant as Fox's audience. Again, this is all backed by evidence. I'm sorry that you don't like to hear, read or acknowledge that evidence, but it doesn't mean that it doesn't exist or isn't relevant.

Also, I didn't say that "society" has a liberal bias. I said that REALITY does. Which is true, and it's why - over a span of decades - conservatives only retreat. They spent the last half century telling us that being gay was unnatural and offensive to God and they're all pedophiles - well, gay people are just people, it just takes conservatives a few extra decades to catch up. Same with black people having civil rights. Same with women having the vote. Same with the Bible not actually being a literal factual record of natural history. Same with "don't beat your kids". Same with getting religion out of government and schools. Etc etc etc.

You don't want me to tell you you're wrong when you make binary statements like "they're both exactly the same", backed by nothing? Give me something other than your feelings. I gave you the origin event in the polarisation of American media over the last quarter century - who killed the media landscape that you are calling to return to, and why they killed it, and what inevitably happened next. It's not a secret, it's just history. You don't like to hear the reasons? Give me something real to back your case, and I'm all ears.

??
Dude, you read waaaaay to into my comment. I wasn’t even disagreeing with what you said, simply calling out that many people only find fault with one side or the other. No offense meant.

John Lee Pettimore

Further south than you
May 18, 2021
Dude, you read waaaaay to into my comment. I wasn’t even disagreeing with what you said, simply calling out that many people only find fault with one side or the other. No offense meant.
Dude, if you're gonna say things and make blanket statements about "the truth is......" and repeat them over and over for months and really genuinely believe them....... shouldn't you give a shit about whether or not they're actually true?

I give you the respect of giving you a decent reply.

What are you giving me?

Ever heard of the Fairness Doctrine? You did not so much as acknowledge that its existence was mentioned, let alone refute anything that I said about it.

Any thoughts on its demise? It's NOT actually 100% a partisan thing, the Dems didn't defend it as strongly as they should have because the lobbyists are too deep in their pockets too...... but the right has FAR more responsibility for the current shit state of affairs in American media. That's just the plain truth, it's unfortunate that since that's a reality that you don't want to hear....... that you just aren't gonna hear it, no matter what. Even though you can't even begin to construct an actual facts-based (as opposed to feelings-based) argument to refute anything I said.

??

Dick Niaz

Jan 14, 2018
Dude, if you're gonna say things and make blanket statements about "the truth is......" and repeat them over and over for months and really genuinely believe them....... shouldn't you give a shit about whether or not they're actually true?

I give you the respect of giving you a decent reply.

What are you giving me?

Ever heard of the Fairness Doctrine? You did not so much as acknowledge that its existence was mentioned, let alone refute anything that I said about it.

Any thoughts on its demise? It's NOT actually 100% a partisan thing, the Dems didn't defend it as strongly as they should have because the lobbyists are too deep in their pockets too...... but the right has FAR more responsibility for the current shit state of affairs in American media. That's just the plain truth, it's unfortunate that since that's a reality that you don't want to hear....... that you just aren't gonna hear it, no matter what. Even though you can't even begin to construct an actual facts-based (as opposed to feelings-based) argument to refute anything I said.

??
I respect your belief that your opinions are facts and I respectfully disagree. Not everything needs to be a debate and conversations with you on social/political topics are just not enjoyable.

I’ll catch you in the Uplifting Thread and If You Need A Laugh threads or Cageside.

Have a good day. Sincerely.

FINGERS

TMMAC Addict
Nov 14, 2019
I respect your belief that your opinions are facts and I respectfully disagree. Not everything needs to be a debate and conversations with you on social/political topics are just not enjoyable.

I’ll catch you in the Uplifting Thread and If You Need A Laugh threads or Cageside.

It's not an opinion though dude.

John Lee Pettimore

Further south than you
May 18, 2021

It's really irrelevant what you think of me.

You have opinions which you choose to share on a public discussion forum.

Is it reasonable to expect that you should be able to back your stance - which you chime in on pretty regularly - with something other than your feelings? You provide absolutely nothing to back your stance, after all. Even after repeated requests. All I'm doing is asking you to either come up with some actual evidence to validate your opinion, or at least acknowledge that I have taken the trouble to do that in response to your post. Is that not reasonable, in a discussion thread on a discussion forum?

??

Dick Niaz

Jan 14, 2018
It's not an opinion though dude.
My opinion is that Fox News is shit and MSNBC is shit and both are bad for the public. They reinforce confirmation bias. They draw unnecessary divides amongst people who might otherwise get along. They both care about money more than any of the issues or viewers. You can say one is worse than the other but the lesser of two evils is still evil.

Let’s leave it at that.

Dick Niaz

Jan 14, 2018
It's really irrelevant what you think of me.

You have opinions which you choose to share on a public discussion forum.

Is it reasonable to expect that you should be able to back your stance - which you chime in on pretty regularly - with something other than your feelings? You provide absolutely nothing to back your stance, after all. Even after repeated requests. All I'm doing is asking you to either come up with some actual evidence to validate your opinion, or at least acknowledge that I have taken the trouble to do that in response to your post. Is that not reasonable, in a discussion thread on a discussion forum?

??
Why can’t you just accept that I have no interest in getting into a deep conversation with you on this based on your track record of being abrasive and unwilling to see other sides.

I said “have a nice day.” I don’t know how I could be more clear to tell you this debate isn't going to happen. How about do the same and we can both move on?

John Lee Pettimore

Further south than you
May 18, 2021
Why can’t you just accept that I have no interest in getting into a deep conversation with you on this based on your track record of being abrasive and unwilling to see other sides.

I said “have a nice day.” I don’t know how I could be more clear to tell you this debate isn't going to happen. How about do the same and we can both move on?
Why would I not be abrasive, when you do nothing but call me a pigheaded idiot, absolutely refuse to so much as acknowledge a single on-topic point I made, and absolutely refuse to offer anything to validate your own opinions or even show that you have a basic knowledge of how the media got to the place it's at?

What is an appropriate response to your post, aside from saying "top post m8, agree with everything"? You have insulted me in this exchange a lot more than I have insulted you - I'm not throwing personal insults back at you to respond in kind, am I.

??

SuperPig

Enjoy yourselves
Aug 7, 2015
when you do nothing but call me a pigheaded idiot,
He never said that.

You did.

He was never so abrasive.

That was all you.

And since you're the one that put the words "pigheaded idiot" into his mouth and are now trying to use them against him you're officially being a pigheaded idiot.

This is why so many people don't like having discourse with you. Even when we agree with you.

So.. back to ignore you go because you're still doing what you've done since you arrived.

Cheers, mate.