Phil Davis 'Very Close' to Signing with Bellator

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Team Bisping

TMMAC Addict
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
As per a few sources...bleacher report:

Phil Davis could soon find out if the grass is greener on the other side of the fence.

The free-agent light heavyweight contender is reportedly “very close” to signing a new multifight deal with Bellator MMA. MMA Fighting’s Ariel Helwani broke the news on Wednesday, stating an official announcement could soon follow:

"According to sources close to the situation, Davis, 30, is very close to inking a new multi-fight contract with the promotion, and the deal could be officially announced as soon as Wednesday."

Davis, a former UFC fighter, has been mulling over his options after his UFC contract expired in January. He is 1-2 in his last three fights, with his most recent defeat coming at the hands of Ryan Bader at UFC on Fox 14.

An NCAA Division I wrestling title and a 9-0 professional MMA record put Davis in the limelight as a UFC title contender, but things never elevated past that point. His undefeated campaign was eventually snuffed out by Rashad Evans in January 2012, putting a serious damper on all of the hype and prospective praise.

Despite his world-class wrestling pedigree, Davis struggled to catch on in the striking department and was often one-dimensional against other contenders.

He still managed to pick up significant wins over Lyoto Machida, Antonio Rogerio Nogueira, Alexander Gustafsson and Tim Boetsch during his UFC tenure, but he could never string together enough victories to warrant a title shot.

Bellator desperately needs fresh talent, and Davis would be an instant upgrade to a light heavyweight division headed by Liam McGeary, Emanuel Newton and Muhammed Lawal.

There has been no word as of yet on a debut date or possible opponent.

ECC170

Monster's 11,ATM 2,Parlay Challenge,Hero GP Champ
Pro Fighter
Jan 23, 2015
hes been so boring since his win over gus..he will be more fun to watch against lesser comp though..

M

Morpheushasleftthebuilding

ufc still has matching rights

1000 post, i shad a tear!

Last edited by a moderator:
P

Punch

with bellator saying they are going to be making big plays for fighters, that's a good thing for phil.
Yeah, Phil is a good fighter. He seemed to have hit a plateau in the ufc. Perhaps this move will be a great thing for him if it materializes. Good luck, Mr. Wonderful.

Ministry of Silly Walks

came in like a wrecking ball
First 100
Amateur Fighter
Jan 15, 2015
Yeah, Phil is a good fighter. He seemed to have hit a plateau in the ufc. Perhaps this move will be a great thing for him if it materializes. Good luck, Mr. Wonderful.
he has, but he can surpass it when his striking starts to catch up to his wrestling. he also needs to work on converting his amazing wrestling into a more mma usable version. he will be a bad mother fucker when he does.

Team Bisping

TMMAC Addict
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Would love to know how much impact the Reebok deal had on this? Signing with bellator means suddenly he's got full control over his sponsorships again

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Would love to know how much impact the Reebok deal had on this? Signing with bellator means suddenly he's got full control over his sponsorships again
Good point there, maybe I'll ask him on twitter and see

P

Punch

he has, but he can surpass it when his striking starts to catch up to his wrestling. he also needs to work on converting his amazing wrestling into a more mma usable version. he will be a bad mother fucker when he does.
I'd love to see a Phil Davis with crisp striking. That would be nasty.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Not really a good move for bellator. He's an athlete when they need fighters.
I think if any UFC guys jump over before the start their decline itll help bring more attention to any other org. I'm not a big fan of Phil but I think its a good thing for both parties.