Pistorius' conviction upgrading to murder

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Lord Vutulaki

Banned
Jan 16, 2015
SOUTH Africa’s Supreme Court of Appeal has found Oscar Pistorius guilty of murder, accepting the state’s appeal to change the previous culpable homicide verdict.

Judge Leach overturned the previous Supreme Court lesser crime conviction of culpable manslaughter for shooting dead his girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp.

He found Judge Masipa had made legal “errors” but said she conducted the trial with “dignity and patience”.

Pistorius, who is currently living under house arrest, must return for sentencing.

A murder conviction carries a minimum sentence of 15 years in South Africa. However, the law allows for a lesser sentence to be imposed in exceptional circumstances.

Reeva Steenkamp’s father he was “satisfied” with the upscaled ruling.

“I’m satisfied with everything now,” Barry Steenkamp said.

“I would hope to God that all of this could have been prevented, but seeing that it has been done, let us now all get on with our lives.”

The verdict that was read by Judge Eric Leach, who was part of a panel of five judges that made the decision, said Judge Thokozile Maspia’s judgment against Pistorius was filled with “fundamental errors”.

“The accused ought to have been found guilty of murder on the basis that he had fired the fatal shots with criminal intent,” Leach said to the courtroom, in which Steenkamp’s mother sat.

The star Paralympic sprinter was found guilty in 2014 of the lesser crime of culpable homicide — the equivalent of manslaughter — for shooting dead Steenkamp in the early hours of Valentine’s Day in 2013.

Pistorius claimed he mistook Steenkamp for an intruder when he opened fire with his pistol, was released from prison on parole in October after serving one year of his five-year sentence.

Justice Leach said regardless of who might have behind the door, Pistorius should have known someone could be killed if he fired.

“The identity of his victim is irrelevant to his guilt,” the judge said.

Reeva Steenkamp’s mother, June, sat quietly in the courtroom during the announcement, which was carried on TV. Pistorius was not there.

The former athlete’s family said in a statement that it had taken note of the judgment.

“The legal team will study the finding and we will be guided by them in terms of options going forward,” the statement said.

A date for Pistorius’ new sentencing will be announced in the city of Pretoria, where he had been tried and imprisoned.

At the crux of the case was how trial judge Thokozile Masipa interpreted the principle of “dolus eventualis” -- awareness of the likely outcome of an action — under which she acquitted Pistorius of murder.

During a one-day hearing at the appeal court in November, state prosecutor Gerrie Nel argued that Pistorius intended to kill whoever was behind the locked toilet door through which he fired four bullets.

Pistorius was released on October 19 to spend the remainder of his sentence under house arrest at his uncle’s mansion in the capital Pretoria.

Lord Vutulaki

Banned
Jan 16, 2015
I never really understood why this case gained international traction.
World champ Olympian runs in hydraulic flippers beat able bodied Olympians

Stunningly hot girlfriend murder victim

Rich white guy being tried by a female black Judge in post apartheid South Africa

Chief

4070 = Legend
First 100
Jan 14, 2015

Seriously. 15 or less for murder?
A murder conviction carries a minimum sentence of 15 years in South Africa. However, the law allows for a lesser sentence to be imposed in exceptional circumstances.
You can get 15 in Duval for sneezing near a cop.

Zeph

TMMAC Addict
Jan 22, 2015
World champ Olympian runs in hydraulic flippers beat able bodied Olympians

Stunningly hot girlfriend murder victim

Rich white guy being tried by a female black Judge in post apartheid South Africa
I guess it does have more.. legs.. than most murder stories.

Lord Vutulaki

Banned
Jan 16, 2015
I guess it does have more.. legs.. than most murder stories.

And here we go.....

His defense really didnt have a leg to stand on but when you think about it he was lying in bed at the time and couldnt see two feet in front of him.

Chief

4070 = Legend
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
I'm just pissed that they call this fucknut "Blade Runner".

Tarnishes the name of a great movie.

Zeph

TMMAC Addict
Jan 22, 2015
And here we go.....

His defense really didnt have a leg to stand on but when you think about it he was lying in bed at the time and couldnt see two feet in front of him.
His imagination might have been running wild on him.

Zeph

TMMAC Addict
Jan 22, 2015
The only running he will be doing now is through Bubba's dreams at night.

M

member 3289

Wow, unexpected for me.

He just got released on house arrest and now he has to go back to prison. It's gotta be too much for him to stand right now.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
The extremity of the crime is what gets the international attention. If I had to give it a shot in the dark, I'd target an insurance payout as the trajectory for profiteering from the act. The post apartheid politics migt have kneecapped his defense, but that wasn't the real Achilles heel for him. He seemed stumped by the cross examination of the prosecutors. Just artificial, as the proceedings limped along, crawling from day to day to day.

I didn't realize they could upgrade the charges in South Africa. Maybe the new charges will be better, faster, stronger.

Lord Vutulaki

Banned
Jan 16, 2015
Some worry that given all his success he still has obvious shortcomings and those alone may make it hard for him to put one foot in front of the other and move forward.

Lord Vutulaki

Banned
Jan 16, 2015
BREAKING NEWS Pistorius has just made a desperate bid for freedom while being led into his new home and was only a hop skip and a jump to freedom but his efforts were stumped when a diligent who was more sure of foot than Pistorius cut off his path.

ECC170

Monster's 11,ATM 2,Parlay Challenge,Hero GP Champ
Pro Fighter
Jan 23, 2015
Poor little Tink Tink..

Robbie Hart

All Biden Voters Are Mindless Sheep
Feb 13, 2015
The maturity level of the responses on this thread gives me hope........

HEATH VON DOOM

Remember the 5th of November
Oct 21, 2015
Bet he has Blood in Blood out on a constant loop in his blu ray so he can get tips from Miclo on how to be a boss in prison. Just don't let the polar bears use your blades to cut their pork chops Oscar.