General Pixel 3 ordering is open

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

SongExotic2

ATM 3 CHAMPION OF THE WORLD. #FREECAIN
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Pros
  • Compact, with great in-hand feel.
  • Awesome camera all around.
  • Solid display and good battery life, though neither is chart-topping.
Cons
  • The back is slippery (can confirm) and scratches easily (we've been told).
  • Just the one cam on the back when everyone else has at least two.
  • Severe throttling under sustained load, just 4GB of RAM, no storage options beyond 128GB, and no possibility for expansion.
  • Disappointing audio quality through the dongle.
  • No 4K/60fps video recording.
  • Limited availability.

SongExotic2

First 100
Jan 16, 2015
  • Severe throttling under sustained load, just 4GB of RAM, no storage options beyond 128GB, and no possibility for expansion.

SongExotic2

First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Would you pay 50 grand for a car with a 1.6 litre engine?

Just because it's got a few nice gizmos and a fancy brand?

The pixel 3 is basically the BMW that rich people buy thier daughters when they pass thier driving test.

It's for idiots who can't handle true power. OnePlus is like a Nissan GTR from space with more RAM

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Would you pay 50 grand for a car with a 1.6 litre engine?

Just because it's got a few nice gizmos and a fancy brand?

The pixel 3 is basically the BMW that rich people buy thier daughters when they pass thier driving test.

It's for idiots who can't handle true power. OnePlus is like a Nissan GTR from space with more RAM

Oneplus is like a 1973 mustang ii. You're focused on a big engine makeing 90 horsepower....total.

Pixel 3 is like the gt3 porsche 911, making more than that per liter. High tech, sexy, way better.

But but my one plus has a big engine!!

SongExotic2

First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Oneplus is like a 1973 mustang ii. You're focused on a big engine makeing 90 horsepower....total.

Pixel 3 is like the gt3 porsche 911, making more than that per liter. High tech, sexy, way better.

But but my one plus has a big engine!!
My Casio watch has more RAM than that hunk of north Vietcong shit.

This time next year when they release the new one you should just set your money on fire instead. Partake in heating the planet up a bit during the cold winter months

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
My Casio watch has more RAM than that hunk of north Vietcong shit.

This time next year when they release the new one you should just set your money on fire instead. Partake in heating the planet up a bit during the cold winter months

"LOOK HOW MUCH RAM IN MY ONE PLUS!!!"

SongExotic2

First 100
Jan 16, 2015
"LOOK HOW MUCH RAM IN MY ONE PLUS!!!"

I doubt you know this but you actually just posted a gif and not a picture. Keep looking at it for.ten minutes and perhaps it will move (I doubt it unless you close a few apps first)

Do you even know what a gif.is?

mysticmac

First 1025
Oct 18, 2015
I'm still on my original pixel. I don't like how they keep making them bigger. That goes for all phones though.

SongExotic2

First 100
Jan 16, 2015
  • EWS
  • FORUMS
  • DEVICES
  • TOPICS
  • BEST POSTS
  1. Android Pie
  2. XDA Holiday Guide
  3. Pixel 3
  4. Galaxy Note 9
  5. LG V40
  6. OnePlus 6T
  7. Snapdragon 855
  8. 5G
  9. Honor 8X
  10. Honor Hub

Google Pixel 3 & Pixel 3 XL Issue List: Know before you buy

We’ve been singing praises of the Google Pixel 3 and its larger sibling, the Google Pixel 3 XL, since they were announced. In my initial review of the Pixel 3 XL, I explained how the latest Google Pixel device embodies the 3 principles that make Google’s Chrome OS so beloved: Speed, Simplicity, and Security. But even devices as polished as the Google Pixel are bound to have some issues after reaching the hands of consumers, and this year’s Pixel 3 is no different.

I generally take a conservative approach to covering news about a problem with a new device because it’s difficult to tell when a user report is really indicative of a larger issue with the device. In the case of the Pixel 3 and Pixel 3 XL, however, the Pixel user community on our forums and on Reddit have raised a stink about various issues that have made their way to other blogs. So, before you shell out hundreds of dollars for a new Pixel after seeing the incredible Night Sight camera samples that we posted, we think you should be aware of some of the issues that early adopters have faced.

Some of these issues may be deal breakers, while others may seem like nitpicking to you. We’ll note which issues can likely be resolved via a software update and whether Google has already offered a statement on the matter. Lastly, since I only have the Pixel 3 XL with me, I can only offer my opinion on issues that only affect the 3 XL.

Update 1: Added Google’s responses to the scratch, random notch, and Netflix HDR sections.

Update 2: Added a section on “Buzzing/Distorted Speakers at Low Volumes” and “Pink tinting” per multiple user reports.

Update 3: Added details to the “Apps being closed in the background” section.

Update 4: Google has commented on the memory management issue.

Update 5: Google has commented on the speaker distortion issue.

Update 6: Both the memory management issue and the speaker buzzing issue have been mostly resolved.

Memory Management
Issue #1 – Apps being closed in the background
It feels strange for me to say this considering my very first article on XDA was an argument in defense of the Nexus 5X having only 2GB RAM, but the Pixel 3 might not have enough RAM. With higher quality apps and games releasing each month, it’s become clear that Android devices simply need more memory these days. The Google Pixel, Google Pixel 2, and Google Pixel 3 all have 4GB RAM, while the OnePlus 6, Razer Phone 2, Xiaomi POCO F1, and more offer up to 8GB RAM options. 4GB RAM should be enough for most users of the Pixel 3, but there have been many user reports of the device often closing recently used apps in the background.

This isn’t an isolated issue, either. An Android Centraleditor, an editor from The Verge, the founder of Android Police, Marques Brownlee, and countless others on Reddit have issues with memory management. (All links via Android Police.) My own Pixel 3 XL is far worse at keeping apps in memory than my OnePlus 6, though of course, I attribute that to my OnePlus 6 having 8GB RAM. While few users will have the same experience as Artem Russakovski (shown below), I bet most users will experience the Pixel 3’s memory management issue at least a few times a day. I’ve recently started advocating for Google to offer a minimum of 6GB RAM on their devices after seeing how games like Fortnite Mobile perform on the Pixel 2 XL, and I think videos like the one below show how even the basic user experience can be affected by not having enough RAM.

benjo0101

TMMAC Addict
Jun 13, 2016
Just took delivery of mine. Very happy.

Still got the same bug on this site with the keyboard

SongExotic2

First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Just took delivery of mine. Very happy.

Still got the same bug on this site with the keyboard
All homo phones get that issue. Try flushing it in the toilet and buying a man's phone instead

RaginCajun

The Reigning Undisputed Monsters Tournament Champ
Oct 25, 2015
Anyone planning on ordering the Pixel 4 that is being announced on October 15th?
It is reported to have a 90Hz display, Snapdragon 855 processer, 6GB of RAM, Face Unlock, and multiple cameras including night sight.

What say you Splinty @Splinty, are you still a Pixel man and are you upgrading?

Super Dave

The party’s over
Dec 28, 2015
Anyone planning on ordering the Pixel 4 that is being announced on October 15th?
It is reported to have a 90Hz display, Snapdragon 855 processer, 6GB of RAM, Face Unlock, and multiple cameras including night sight.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014

I'm sure I will. The pixel camera continues to impress each year and that's a big point for me. Stripped down android that gets updated quickly is the other.

SuperPig

Enjoy yourselves
Aug 7, 2015

"Needs more RAM" ~ The Permapinked One