Sci/Tech Planet at Risk of Heading Towards Apocalyptic, Irreversible ‘Hothouse Earth’ State

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
Why do you ask more questions instead of answering, literally every time you argue?
Because I'm actually interested in sussing out the truth rather than proudly shouting my opinion as loudly as possible. In the case of the people in this thread calling bull shit, I get it. They've been told for years now that "97% of scientists agree" and now this article is being presented that would suggest that data previously presented as fact was actually incorrect and this new data is the "real" data. Now if these specific researchers have been refuting the IPCC's claims about the Paris agreement since '16 as you're suggesting, it then brings up a whole other set of questions.

It's funny you're so passionate about this issue though. On multiple occasions I've asked very specific climate change related questions to you and some of the other climate brigade. Shockingly I've never once gotten a straight answer out of anybody.

Zeph

TMMAC Addict
Jan 22, 2015
Because I'm actually interested in sussing out the truth rather than proudly shouting my opinion as loudly as possible. In the case of the people in this thread calling bull shit, I get it. They've been told for years now that "97% of scientists agree" and now this article is being presented that would suggest that data previously presented as fact was actually incorrect and this new data is the "real" data. Now if these specific researchers have been refuting the IPCC's claims about the Paris agreement since '16 as you're suggesting, it then brings up a whole other set of questions.

It's funny you're so passionate about this issue though. On multiple occasions I've asked very specific climate change related questions to you and some of the other climate brigade. Shockingly I've never once gotten a straight answer out of anybody.
The Paris Climate Accords were always a first step. No one said it was the end game. Regardless, yes the IPCC models were wrong as they vastly underestimate climate change because of their failure to account for various natural feedback loops that have been initiated by man made climate change.

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
Regardless, yes the IPCC models were wrong as they vastly underestimate climate change because of their failure to account for various natural feedback loops that have been initiated by man made climate change.
Which is why I said, it should be forgiven when people are skeptical after being told "but this time we figured it out." Regardless of how someone feels about climate change, it needs to be recognized that the goal posts of science are ever moving.

You see in science as more data is collected predictive models are improved and made more accurate over time.
I understand this and it's exactly why it shouldn't be such a heavily politicized "Us vs Them" subject. Ideology ends up being passed off as science.

Zeph

TMMAC Addict
Jan 22, 2015
Which is why I said, it should be forgiven when people are skeptical after being told "but this time we figured it out." Regardless of how someone feels about climate change, it needs to be recognized that the goal posts of science are ever moving.

I understand this and it's exactly why it shouldn't be such a heavily politicized "Us vs Them" subject. Ideology ends up being passed off as science.
We know the mechanisms that are making it hotter. Those aren't up for debate. It's not ideology being past off as science. It's scientists warning people that shit is bad and we need to do something or shit will get really bad. Ideology is only being inserted by the people who want to deny what is happening in front of their faces.

Ted Williams' head

It's freezing in here!
Sep 23, 2015
Those aren't up for debate.
Everything should be up for debate. Scientists have been proven wrong about this (and other things) MANY times, but we're all supposed to just STFU and buy lock stock and barrel into each week's brand new doomsday prediction. Christ, give it a rest mate.

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
lol

anybody who thinks they know it all....knows jack shit

the more sure you think you understand this topic the less you have an open mind and the less logical you are being

Zeph

TMMAC Addict
Jan 22, 2015
Everything should be up for debate. Scientists have been proven wrong about this (and other things) MANY times, but we're all supposed to just STFU and buy lock stock and barrel into each week's brand new doomsday prediction. Christ, give it a rest mate.
Do you believe the Earth is spherical? Is that up for debate? Are you a flat earther?

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
We know the mechanisms that are making it hotter. Those aren't up for debate.
If that were true the article you posted wouldn't be at odds with the IPCC's original claims. They're constantly learning more about how one factor impacts another. The point of science is that everything is always up for debate, you stating otherwise completely undermines the rest of the post where you say it isn't ideological.

Zeph

TMMAC Addict
Jan 22, 2015
Hasn't the earth most recently been found to be spheroidal?
What isn't up for debate is that more co2 in the atmosphere makes the planet hotter, and the concentration of co2 in the atmosphere is increasing. What we are learning that is new is that we have started several feedback loops that make the predictions for our future worse than before. The point of science isn't that everything is up for debate, it's that through experimentation we prove or disprove theories, once something has been proved then it's not up for debate.

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
The point of science isn't that everything is up for debate, it's that through experimentation we prove or disprove theories, once something has been proved then it's not up for debate.
Things that are "proven" can still be debunked.

Jesus X

4 drink minimum.
Sep 7, 2015
I didn't believe in this in the past but it has been 114 degrees in parts L.A county this summer that is alarming and definitely not normal. I have actually never seen that in my entire life until this year,closest I felt was 108 in 2010.

silentsinger

Momofuku
Jun 23, 2015
I didn't believe in this in the past but it has been 114 degrees in parts L.A county this summer that is alarming and definitely not normal. I have actually never seen that in my entire life until this year,closest I felt was 108 in 2010.
It was 120 near hear a week or so ago.

jason73

Yuri Bezmenov was right
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
it is 5 degrees cooler than it was a few hours ago. i think we are moving towards a new ice age