Poirier: Covington knows what happened during our sparring sessions at ATT

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
UFC 269 Press Conference

What happens in the gym, stays in the gym.

That means Dustin Poirier isn’t going to tell the world what happened between him and Colby Covington during their old sparring sessions at American Top Team (ATT), but it’s probably safe to say ‘The Diamond’ got the better of ‘Chaos’ in the stand-up department.

Poirier admits Covington used to outwrestle him but hinted that there were plenty of times when he got the upper hand and gave his former teammate a good beating behind closed doors.

“And Colby knows what’s up. I’m not a scrap-and-tell kinda guy; I don’t say what happened, but he knows what’s happened those years in the gym,” Poirier told Ariel Helwani during a recent appearance on The MMA Hour.

“And at the same time, I agree. I know he’s taken me down and ridden me out rounds, but he also knows a couple times what happened to him.”

Covington parted ways with ATT in 2020 after butting heads with several teammates at the gym, Poirier being chief among them. The two have been at odds ever since, with Poirier recently agreeing to a welterweight showdown with Covington on July 30th.

170Lbs July 30th ⭐

— The Diamond (@DustinPoirier) May 14, 2022
Covington has yet to respond to Poirier but that’s likely because the two-time UFC welterweight title challenger is currently embroiled in a criminal spat with Jorge Masvidal, who is alleged to have attacked Covington outside a steakhouse in Miami and potentially caused a brain injury.

Dustin Poirier: Colby Covington knows what happened during our sparring sessions at ATT

Last edited:

Robbie Hart

All Biden Voters Are Mindless Sheep
Feb 13, 2015
I still believe Covington’s wrestling will give him a major advantage in any fight against most guys

SongExotic2

ATM 3 CHAMPION OF THE WORLD. #FREECAIN
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
First line kills it.... Wtf is he talking about training for? When I tell a training story it's to talk someone up. I wouldn't talk someone down over training. You are learning the craft, it does doesn't matter if your shit. Just take your licks and listen.

RaginCajun

The Reigning Undisputed Monsters Tournament Champ
Oct 25, 2015
First line kills it.... Wtf is he talking about training for? When I tell a training story it's to talk someone up. I wouldn't talk someone down over training. You are learning the craft, it does doesn't matter if your shit. Just take your licks and listen.
download (5).jpeg

so long

Posting Machine
Dec 16, 2015
but he also knows a couple times what happened to him.”
..."that one time, he took me down, he sprained his ankle really bad and he had to put ice on it for days. and that other time when we collided heads and he had to go to the doctor and I got to eat his dessert at training camp luch. best day ever."

MMAPlaywright

First 100
First 100
Jan 18, 2015
Sparring is sparring. You can quote me on that. If you do quote me, you have to give me full credit for coming up with it.