Poirier gives UFC an ultimatum, says ‘this company is #1 bullsh-t’

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014

Dustin Poirier doesn’t seem happy with the UFC these days. The number three ranked lightweight contender took so social media to issue an ultimatum, after feeling disrespected by the organization.

The 30-year-old says he won’t be competing unless they offer him a fight against the two other fighters ranked above him, or they give him a better contract.

When asked about the fighter ranked just below him at #4,…

Top contender Dustin Poirier gives UFC an ultimatum, says ‘this company is #1 bullsh-t’

Last edited:

Tiiimmmaaayyy

First 100 ish
Jan 19, 2015
This never ends well for fighters not named Conor. Best of luck to Dustin as he spends the prime of his career on the shelf.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
This never ends well for fighters not named Conor. Best of luck to Dustin as he spends the prime of his career on the shelf.
I like this sort of thing. He may sit through his prime but his other option as of now is to put himself at risk for peanuts.

FrankieNYC

"My balls was hot!"
Aug 13, 2017
Lose what? He's laid out options to which he'll agree to so either way (if he sticks to his word) he get what he wants. Fight Tony or Conor, new contract or he doesn't fight.
If he doesn't fight, he loses the money he can make fighting that he already contractually agreed to.

UFC can certainly pay more. I give proof of that constantly.
But he agreed to fight and signed a contract to do so at x-amount of money per.

If he doesn't fight, he doesn't make money.

UFC has to contractually offer him fights at the amount he agreed to.
If he says no, he gets no money & his contract frozen

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
If he doesn't fight, he loses the money he can make fighting that he already contractually agreed to.

UFC can certainly pay more. I give proof of that constantly.
But he agreed to fight and signed a contract to do so at x-amount of money per.

If he doesn't fight, he doesn't make money.

UFC has to contractually offer him fights at the amount he agreed to.
If he says no, he gets no money & his contract frozen
Of course. But when most people give ultimatums they usually pick options that they'd be satisfied with in the end. If he' happy to say fuck it and sit, get more money or fight with either guy then that's his decision. He's got a young family now and perhaps he wants to put them first instead of chasing the elusive UFC dream.

FrankieNYC

"My balls was hot!"
Aug 13, 2017
Of course. But when most people give ultimatums they usually pick options that they'd be satisfied with in the end. If he' happy to say fuck it and sit, get more money or fight with either guy then that's his decision. He's got a young family now and perhaps he wants to put them first instead of chasing the elusive UFC dream.
I'm explaining what he would "lose" (as far as the convo went)
If he is OK losing the chance to earn as a fighter, then good for him & hopefully he has a plan.
But he still loses that opportunity.

I don't slam any fighter for declining fights even if they agreed to X-amount in their contract.
The contracts allow any fighter to decline any fight they want to.
But unlike Nate & Nick, Dustin didn't make FU money from MMA.
Hopefully he has a great back-up

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
I'm explaining what he would "lose" (as far as the convo went)
If he is OK losing the chance to earn as a fighter, then good for him & hopefully he has a plan.
But he still loses that opportunity.

I don't slam any fighter for declining fights even if they agreed to X-amount in their contract.
The contracts allow any fighter to decline any fight they want to.
But unlike Nate & Nick, Dustin didn't make FU money from MMA.
Hopefully he has a great back-up
Yup. Basically is the squeeze worth the juice.

FrankieNYC

"My balls was hot!"
Aug 13, 2017
Yup. Basically is the squeeze worth the juice.
OPdds are it is just a play for more money & all the power to him
I'm not one that argues "you agreed to X-amount so ..."
I'm fine with any fighter using whatever leverage they have

Nick did it perfectly after UFC threw Conor off UFC 200 & Nate realized that he could demand even more ... GOOD FOR HIM.

In 2019/20 UFC could reach $1b in revenue ... think about that for a minute
In 2017, NY Yankees did $619. UFC did over $700m

UFC IS A BIGGER MONEY MAKER THAN THE YANKEES?

They can survive Dustin sitting out & they can also pay him better if Dustin creates a great case

But I think what some ITT are saying is ... bitching on social media isn't making a case

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
OPdds are it is just a play for more money & all the power to him
I'm not one that argues "you agreed to X-amount so ..."
I'm fine with any fighter using whatever leverage they have

Nick did it perfectly after UFC threw Conor off UFC 200 & Nate realized that he could demand even more ... GOOD FOR HIM.

In 2019/20 UFC could reach $1b in revenue ... think about that for a minute
In 2017, NY Yankees did $619. UFC did over $700m

UFC IS A BIGGER MONEY MAKER THAN THE YANKEES?

They can survive Dustin sitting out & they can also pay him better if Dustin creates a great case

But I think what some ITT are saying is ... bitching on social media isn't making a case
Ya I'm not a big fan of social media being used so much to make a case but I guess that's the norm now. How many fucks you think WME gives when fighters are shot talking them online? Guys like Dustin and Colby lately, can't be a good look right? Or do you think it doesn't bother them at all?

FrankieNYC

"My balls was hot!"
Aug 13, 2017
Ya I'm not a big fan of social media being used so much to make a case but I guess that's the norm now. How many fucks you think WME gives when fighters are shot talking them online? Guys like Dustin and Colby lately, can't be a good look right? Or do you think it doesn't bother them at all?

WME are a lot more than UFC. I can't imagine Ari knowing more than 25 fighters by face.
I don't see him dealing with a Dustin from his office while he is focusing on deals worth hundreds of millions or celebs that are A-List.

They must know in general that fighters bitch online, but I doubt the pay attention to the particulars.

The people having to do the grunt work are Sean Shelby & his staff.

Might as well add this here:
About a week ago I heard an old podcast from 01/17 with Steve Austin & Meltzer
Meltzer mentioned that Joel Silva just retired & he said he expected a lot less fighter cooperation.
He said UFC fighters felt a loyalty to Lorenzo, Dana & Silva.
Now they saw the amount UFC was worth & feel they deserve more than they got.
Plus WME seem to be faceless owners to most.

Funny how accurate that turned out

FrankieNYC

"My balls was hot!"
Aug 13, 2017
This^
Doesn't help having weirdos like Leslie Smith leading the charge though while her "allies" attack her making her look even worse...
A lot of fighters & their reps don't want a union.
To be unionized they need to be classified as 'employees'.
That can give UFC even more control in some instances.

A lot want an "association" instead
They can be IC's but have a say collectively in what occurs in UFC

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
A lot of fighters & their reps don't want a union.
To be unionized they need to be classified as 'employees'.
That can give UFC even more control in some instances.

A lot want an "association" instead
They can be IC's but have a say collectively in what occurs in UFC
they gotta do something

Fight Game has never been fair

Dustin knows this

FrankieNYC

"My balls was hot!"
Aug 13, 2017
they gotta do something

Fight Game has never been fair

Dustin knows this
Here is the weird thing
In the last 9 or so years (a few years prior to SF being sold), no company vs UFC has made a profit
There is a chance Combates Americas might have, but weirdly nobody reports on them.

This year Bellator should, but in MMA if fighter pay & situations go up across the board it might severely hurt every other organization.

but certainly UFC could/should pay more.
It will be interesting to see what % they did in 2018 & if it went up from 17% in 2016 or not.

They certainly paid more but made more too

Papi Chingon

Domesticated Hombre
Oct 19, 2015
They should give him tony. Everyone wants the conor fight and he's already had his. No one is screaming to see that one again, plus there are much more profitable fights for conor (and the ufc).
No idea how much longer conor fights, but the ufc is going to put together as much profit as they can with his fights. The cowboy fight would draw larger (plus it's a new face for conor to fight), diaz 3 (obviously), gsp, stupid rematch with khabib...things like that will be on the table.

Sex Chicken

Exotic Dancer
Sep 8, 2015
The lightweight division has wasted so much of it’s top tier talent because of the log jam at the top due to Conor’s lack of activity when he held the belt and all the injuries to Tony Ferguson.

That division is so stacked with talent. If the UFC paid the guy’s way they were worth they wouldn’t have to jockey for position and sit on the shelf waiting for a time title shot.

There is so much talent in this division that you could take the top 20 names in a hat and draw the names at random, and have ten awesome fights.

Instead you have amazing fighters like Poitier inactive because they can’t risk the opportunity for a payday in a title fight.

The UFC’s bullshit pay structure is causing this problem.

They want to keep these fighters poor and desperate for a title shot, and then act like the fighters are being disloyal when they don’t want to risk their spot in line to fill out a card for them.

Last edited:

so long

Posting Machine
Dec 16, 2015
Here's the situation in a rhyme

Guys should fight!
UFC should pay.
USADA look away.

Man, if anybody has a rhyme for "no instant rematches" ...