Poirier: Nate Diaz was a ‘headache,’ ‘over-negotiated’ for UFC 230

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014

Dustin Poirier ended up pulling out of his UFC 230 bout against Nate Diaz, but according to him, this were already chaotic even prior to his injury. As “The Diamond” notes, the UFC was constantly scrambling to have a main event for the Madison Square Garden event, and Diaz was also being difficult during negotiations.

“We don’t even have enough time to talk about all the times it was changed,” Poirier told Luke Thomas on Monday’s edition of The MMA Hour. “The fight was on, it was off, it was just crazy, there was a lot of crazy stuff going on.

“They wanted to switch it to five rounds, man, it was just so messed up dude,” Poirier said. “Nate was being hard to deal with, I believe. Every…

Poirier: Nate Diaz was a ‘huge headache,’ ‘over-negotiated’ for UFC 230

Enock-O-Lypse Now!

Underneath Denver International Airport
Jun 19, 2016
Nate and Nick were both beasts when they would stay active - now Nick is irrelevant and Nate thinks he should Be making the money he did against Conor ...

At the time there was something special with Conor’s antics mixed in with Nates style ...Conor lost his Mystique and Nate is sitting on the shelf wasting away what little he has left

Ted Williams' head

It's freezing in here!
Sep 23, 2015
I've never been a fan of either Diaz, but I think what they're doing is smart. By sitting out, being difficult and "over negotiating", they're building up a hunger in the fans to see them fight, which inevitably leads to a bigger purse.

They're both mid 30s now, and neither is going to be a UFC champ. So why not sit out and build yourself up so you can make X amount with 1 fight, rather than X over 3-4 fights?

Disciplined Galt

Disciplina et Frugalis
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
I've never been a fan of either Diaz, but I think what they're doing is smart. By sitting out, being difficult and "over negotiating", they're building up a hunger in the fans to see them fight, which inevitably leads to a bigger purse.

They're both mid 30s now, and neither is going to be a UFC champ. So why not sit out and build yourself up so you can make X amount with 1 fight, rather than X over 3-4 fights?
Same strategy tqn and pw utilized

Silverball

Feb 24, 2015
Nate's rich and famous, Dustin's a 29-year-old MMA fighter with hip problems because he has to be in camp constantly to make ends meet. He should stop trying to be a company guy for five minutes and try to learn from someone who's been through it and come out on the other side.

Nov 21, 2015

Dustin Poirier ended up pulling out of his UFC 230 bout against Nate Diaz, but according to him, this were already chaotic even prior to his injury. As “The Diamond” notes, the UFC was constantly scrambling to have a main event for the Madison Square Garden event, and Diaz was also being difficult during negotiations.

“We don’t even have enough time to talk about all the times it was changed,” Poirier told Luke Thomas on Monday’s edition of The MMA Hour. “The fight was on, it was off, it was just crazy, there was a lot of crazy stuff going on.

“They wanted to switch it to five rounds, man, it was just so messed up dude,” Poirier said. “Nate was being hard to deal with, I believe. Every…

Poirier: Nate Diaz was a ‘huge headache,’ ‘over-negotiated’ for UFC 230
Yeah he wouldn't roll over like a lap dog for Egg and be paid pennies on the dollar

Cool story Dustin!