(Poll) UFC 197, 198, 199 and 200

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Which event do you think will be the best?

• UFC 197

Votes: 4 9.8%
  • UFC 198

Votes: 17 41.5%
  • UFC 199

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • UFC 200

Votes: 12 29.3%
  • Stop making polls dumbass

Votes: 8 19.5%

• Total voters

FadeToBlack

Rear Naked Poke
Mar 15, 2015
If these cards hold up as scheduled -- in other words, if Donald Trump renounces his bigoted positions and names Bernie Sanders his running mate -- then UFC 200 would win for me. It still isn't as big as it should be though. I really hope the winner of Aldo and Frankie is healthy enough to step inside the cage after Nate submits Mystic Mac again and call him out personally.

Of all the fights listed, here's my top 5:

Daniel Cormier vs. Jon Jones
Luke Rockhold vs. Chris Weidman
Conor McGregor vs. Nate Diaz
Uriah Hall vs. Anderson Silva
Travis Browne vs. Cain Velasquez

I like Anderson and Cain quite a bit, two of the greatest in their weight classes, two former championship mainstays.

Ghost Bro

Wololo ~Leave no turn unstoned
Nov 13, 2015
I prefer the 200 line up than the 198 lineup. The match ups are better despite the lower name recognition.
I know what you're saying but from what's announced so far, I don't care for the main event much, even though I'll definitely watch. I don't particularly wanna see Aldo-Edgar (I will definitely watch, but its no silva-hall). Other than that, I think 200 is more predictable.

I expect a lot more fun fights at 199 at first glance.

Zeph

TMMAC Addict
Jan 22, 2015
I know what you're saying but from what's announced so far, I don't care for the main event much, even though I'll definitely watch. I don't particularly wanna see Aldo-Edgar (I will definitely watch, but its no silva-hall). Other than that, I think 200 is more predictable.

I expect a lot more fun fights at 199 at first glance.
Silva-Hall has all the potential to be a staring contest, with a lot of wax on, wax off going on. Aldo vs Edgar is a great fight, despite people wanting to see them fight McGregor, because he has the belt, that was a fight people were clamouring for in early 2015. It's even more exciting now with how Edgar dispatched Mendes.

Whatever is said about McGregor-Diaz, the first fight was a fun fight, and, although it wouldn't have been my first choice for who McGregor fought next, It was a really fun fight. It has the potential to be another great fight, so, I'm not mad, and I understand why the UFC are running it back.

Ghost Bro

Nov 13, 2015
Silva-Hall has all the potential to be a staring contest, with a lot of wax on, wax off going on. Aldo vs Edgar is a great fight, despite people wanting to see them fight McGregor, because he has the belt, that was a fight people were clamouring for in early 2015. It's even more exciting now with how Edgar dispatched Mendes.

Whatever is said about McGregor-Diaz, the first fight was a fun fight, and, although it wouldn't have been my first choice for who McGregor fought next, It was a really fun fight. It has the potential to be another great fight, so, I'm not mad, and I understand why the UFC are running it back.
You got a point about Anderson and Hall but I think Hall will try to bring it to him..he has to, otherwise he'll get messed up. I think it'll be a good fight..there was a lot of staring with Bisping too but it was a great fight despite that. People were clamouring Edgar gets a shot at the title, not so much a rematch with Aldo (Aldo and title being synonymous before Conor came along)..he still doesn't have that. Instead...a shot at the Interim title, its beyond horrendous.

And its ok if they didn't make an edgar conor fight...they couldve gone with the Aldo rematch, why Nate again..why 170? Aldo deserves the rematch more than Conor does, he got caught while Conor looked tired desperate and helpless, it won't be any different next time round. It was a great fight, most pumped I've been for one in recent memory...but it makes no sense and fucks up the 145 division. I can dig the "fun fights" but this isn't even a fun rematch, its just a cash grab and a last ditch effort to salvage the image they are trying to promote...that's why its at 170 too.
Sorry for the rant, I need a cigarette..

Zeph

TMMAC Addict
Jan 22, 2015
You got a point about Anderson and Hall but I think Hall will try to bring it to him..he has to, otherwise he'll get messed up. I think it'll be a good fight..there was a lot of staring with Bisping too but it was a great fight despite that. People were clamouring Edgar gets a shot at the title, not so much a rematch with Aldo (Aldo and title being synonymous before Conor came along)..he still doesn't have that. Instead...a shot at the Interim title, its beyond horrendous.

And its ok if they didn't make an edgar conor fight...they couldve gone with the Aldo rematch, why Nate again..why 170? Aldo deserves the rematch more than Conor does, he got caught while Conor looked tired desperate and helpless, it won't be any different next time round. It was a great fight, most pumped I've been for one in recent memory...but it makes no sense and fucks up the 145 division. I can dig the "fun fights" but this isn't even a fun rematch, its just a cash grab and a last ditch effort to salvage the image they are trying to promote...that's why its at 170 too.
Sorry for the rant, I need a cigarette..
Yeah, it's a cash grab. This is prizefighting, they are going to make the fights which make the most money, it's something we have to live with. Combat sports are pseudo sport when run effectively - Bellator tried to go the sport route and that got them nowhere. It's a reality of the world we live in, I'm not going to get worked up about it.

Personally, with the Anderson-Hall fight, I think Hall will choke and become cautious. It is the biggest fight of his career, in a foreign country - not just any foreign country, but Brazil - in a soccer stadium of 45k fans chanting that he is going to die. If there is any fight where he gets cold feet, it should be this one.

As far as Aldo-Edgar only being interesting because of the title, I'd have to disagree, the first fight was extremely close. I believe Aldo edged him, but only just. With Edgar looking improved and more comfortable at this weight it is a seriously good fight. As far as the interim belt is concerned, the only reason care about it is that it makes this a five round fight, which it needs to be. Interim titles are nothing more than promotional tools and if they help to provide better fights, like in this case, then I don't care how many are made, when they are made, or who gets them. Conor maybe holding the division up slight, but no more than Aldo has done in the past by sitting out for a year. If he defends. or vacates, within around a year of the previous fight, then I don't think it a massive deal, divisions frequently go over a year without being defended anyway.

Ghost Bro

Nov 13, 2015
Yeah, it's a cash grab. This is prizefighting, they are going to make the fights which make the most money, it's something we have to live with. Combat sports are pseudo sport when run effectively - Bellator tried to go the sport route and that got them nowhere. It's a reality of the world we live in, I'm not going to get worked up about it.

Personally, with the Anderson-Hall fight, I think Hall will choke and become cautious. It is the biggest fight of his career, in a foreign country - not just any foreign country, but Brazil - in a soccer stadium of 45k fans chanting that he is going to die. If there is any fight where he gets cold feet, it should be this one.

As far as Aldo-Edgar only being interesting because of the title, I'd have to disagree, the first fight was extremely close. I believe Aldo edged him, but only just. With Edgar looking improved and more comfortable at this weight it is a seriously good fight. As far as the interim belt is concerned, the only reason care about it is that it makes this a five round fight, which it needs to be. Interim titles are nothing more than promotional tools and if they help to provide better fights, like in this case, then I don't care how many are made, when they are made, or who gets them. Conor maybe holding the division up slight, but no more than Aldo has done in the past by sitting out for a year. If he defends. or vacates, within around a year of the previous fight, then I don't think it a massive deal, divisions frequently go over a year without being defended anyway.
Bellator is burdened with a terrible name and is under the UFC's shadow in a largely UFC dominated MMA world, its hard for them to succeed without pandering to some ridiculousness. You're not wrong, at all, but I disagree, I guess we look at the opposite sides of the same coin.

If that does happen to Hall, then we'll see a HL Anderson KO, transporting us back into the matrix for a tiny bit. I never got people geting so worked up about the brazilian chant though, prolly because we do it too in the football games..it's not a death threat or anything so I never got that.

I know Edgar-Aldo will be a good fight, but it won't be historic is my point. Noone cares about interim belts, they care about real belts and those are the fights that stay.. Look at Hunt vs Werdum f.e. that fight isn't considered as if Hunt had a titleshot (even though he fought the current champ, for a belt) its way less than that, they try to raise the prestige a bit but it hardly means anything for anybody, like you said just to make it a 5 rounder in this case. By the way are we sure Conor-Diaz is the main event? seems kind of odd to have 3 5 rnd fights, I disticttly remember them saying they'd never do that again because of time. I agree about the belt being used as a promotional tool, but I don't think that's a good thing..look at boxing..half those belts mean nothing..but this isn't even that...this is 2 belts in the same division in the same org...its like a silver medal, literally nobody will ever buy into that shit, yet they try to push it and its irritating..

I agree Aldo wasn't very active..but to his credit he had beaten all the clear cut contenders at that time or came back and done it..so there really never was an issue like this, Conor left without defending and is fighting in a completely different weightclass, while the rest of them are waiting for a titleshot..Whatever happens in the Edgar-Aldo fight one of the two will be shortchanged and that's why I don't want to see that, they both deserve better. Its just odd that it is accepted that 145 is Conor's fallback plan and everyone's cool with it.. I'd even like to see Conor vs RDA over the Diaz fight again though..give him a proper shot at a title if you wanna do that. I'll watch for sure either way I'm not even that mad anymore, I just don't like the way things are heading.

Zeph

TMMAC Addict
Jan 22, 2015
If that does happen to Hall, then we'll see a HL Anderson KO, transporting us back into the matrix for a tiny bit. I never got people geting so worked up about the brazilian chant though, prolly because we do it too in the football games..it's not a death threat or anything so I never got that.
Think of it in terms of a player who has only played in front of Championship crowds getting drawn to play at Old Trafford in the FA cup, and subsequently being overawed by the size, and noise, of the crowd - resulting in him playing below his usual standard of football.

I know Edgar-Aldo will be a good fight, but it won't be historic is my point. Noone cares about interim belts, they care about real belts and those are the fights that stay.. Look at Hunt vs Werdum f.e. that fight isn't considered as if Hunt had a titleshot (even though he fought the current champ, for a belt) its way less than that, they try to raise the prestige a bit but it hardly means anything for anybody, like you said just to make it a 5 rounder in this case. By the way are we sure Conor-Diaz is the main event? seems kind of odd to have 3 5 rnd fights, I disticttly remember them saying they'd never do that again because of time. I agree about the belt being used as a promotional tool, but I don't think that's a good thing..look at boxing..half those belts mean nothing..but this isn't even that...this is 2 belts in the same division in the same org...its like a silver medal, literally nobody will ever buy into that shit, yet they try to push it and its irritating..
We are a far cry from the alphabet soup of boxing here. Generally interim belts are unified with the real belt in timely fashion, although, this one may be delayed if McGregor beats Diaz, as they would have to run that one back again(brother). As far as if it is the main event, it just did 1.5mil buys at 196, it is going to be the main event.

I agree Aldo wasn't very active..but to his credit he had beaten all the clear cut contenders at that time or came back and done it..so there really never was an issue like this, Conor left without defending and is fighting in a completely different weightclass, while the rest of them are waiting for a titleshot..Whatever happens in the Edgar-Aldo fight one of the two will be shortchanged and that's why I don't want to see that, they both deserve better. Its just odd that it is accepted that 145 is Conor's fallback plan and everyone's cool with it.. I'd even like to see Conor vs RDA over the Diaz fight again though..give him a proper shot at a title if you wanna do that. I'll watch for sure either way I'm not even that mad anymore, I just don't like the way things are heading.
Zuffa are going to do what they think makes the most money, and if that means giving into McGregor's competitive nature for this rematch, then that's what is going to happen. It sucks for Edgar and Aldo, but that's life. If they wanted to be in the driving seat then they need to come up with ways to draw 1.5mil ppv buys. McGregor, largely, built for himself the platform he is on. Yes, he had some help from the UFC, but many people have had help from the UFC and haven't reached the same results. It's also refreshing to see a fighter have so much leverage with the Zuffa, and he is paving the road for others to follow in the future, I can't be mad at that.

Last edited:

Ghost Bro

Nov 13, 2015
Think of it in terms of a player who has only played in front of Championship crowds getting drawn to play at Old Trafford in the FA cup, and subsequently being overawed by the size, and noise, of the crowd - resulting in him playing below his usual standard of football.
Pretty good analogy, never thought of it like that, I'd think fighters would tune that out, but I guess each person's different.

We are a far cry from the alphabet soup of boxing here. Generally interim belts are unified with the real belt in timely fashion, although, this one may be delayed in McGregor beats Diaz, as they would have to run that one back again(brother). As far as if it is the main event, it just did 1.5mil buys at 196, it is going to be the main event.
Agreed, I'm just hoping for some normality eventually. I somehow don't think Nate would get a rematch if that happens though..we'll have to wait and see I guess. Yeah of course it makes sense to have it as a main event, I was just thinking it since that's 2 5 round fights already on the card and there's still a comain, weren't they saying there's a time issue with PPVs a few years back? If they can do it I won't complain though.

Zuffa are going to do what they think makes the most money, and if that means giving into McGregor's competitive nature for this rematch, then that's what is going to happen. It sucks for Edgar and Aldo, but that's life. If they wanted to be in the driving seat then they need to come up with ways to draw 1.5mil ppv buys. McGregor, largely, built for himself the platform he is on. Yes, he had some help from the UFC, but many people have had help from the UFC and haven't reached the same results. It's also refreshing to see a fighter have so much leverage with the Zuffa, and he is paving the road for others to follow in the future, I can't be mad at that.
The thing is Conor is unique, not many other people have that opportunity, Frankie for example is a talented fighter but the guy just can't talk, he'll never be as big as Conor because he doesn't have that charisma, but its a shame to have a "sport" and not give him a chance at least..MMA has shown us with enough fights noone is undefeated, he'd lose to someone and then the next star comes along, but don't cut the guy off, he's had to earn every step of the way and then some. My main gripe with this situation isn't the Zuffa McGregor push, that's understandable...its mostly that all that talk about unionising died down once everyone thought they could be the next Conor..the guy has a nation behind him on top of everything else, he's got americans pretending they're Irish just to cheer for him..fighters see that that works, so they try the formula..then you have Tony Ferguson f.e. in inteviews with suits and shades trying to get a similar treatment...its not a bad thing..but they shouldn't have to do that. They should be able to make money by fighting the UFC is the promoter, not the fighters and they are doing a piss poor job, so their solution is "promote yourself if you want money"..I can't be happy with that situation. I agree with what you're saying..but I just can't help not be annoyed at Zuffa.

Robbie Hart

All Biden Voters Are Mindless Sheep
Feb 13, 2015
If these cards hold up as scheduled -- in other words, if Donald Trump renounces his bigoted positions and names Bernie Sanders his running mate -- then UFC 200 would win for me. It still isn't as big as it should be though. I really hope the winner of Aldo and Frankie is healthy enough to step inside the cage after Nate submits Mystic Mac again and call him out personally.

Of all the fights listed, here's my top 5:

Daniel Cormier vs. Jon Jones
Luke Rockhold vs. Chris Weidman
Conor McGregor vs. Nate Diaz
Uriah Hall vs. Anderson Silva
Travis Browne vs. Cain Velasquez

I like Anderson and Cain quite a bit, two of the greatest in their weight classes, two former championship mainstays.
Where is Bisping?

Zeph

TMMAC Addict
Jan 22, 2015
Pretty good analogy, never thought of it like that, I'd think fighters would tune that out, but I guess each person's different.

Agreed, I'm just hoping for some normality eventually. I somehow don't think Nate would get a rematch if that happens though..we'll have to wait and see I guess. Yeah of course it makes sense to have it as a main event, I was just thinking it since that's 2 5 round fights already on the card and there's still a comain, weren't they saying there's a time issue with PPVs a few years back? If they can do it I won't complain though.

The thing is Conor is unique, not many other people have that opportunity, Frankie for example is a talented fighter but the guy just can't talk, he'll never be as big as Conor because he doesn't have that charisma, but its a shame to have a "sport" and not give him a chance at least..MMA has shown us with enough fights noone is undefeated, he'd lose to someone and then the next star comes along, but don't cut the guy off, he's had to earn every step of the way and then some. My main gripe with this situation isn't the Zuffa McGregor push, that's understandable...its mostly that all that talk about unionising died down once everyone thought they could be the next Conor..the guy has a nation behind him on top of everything else, he's got americans pretending they're Irish just to cheer for him..fighters see that that works, so they try the formula..then you have Tony Ferguson f.e. in inteviews with suits and shades trying to get a similar treatment...its not a bad thing..but they shouldn't have to do that. They should be able to make money by fighting the UFC is the promoter, not the fighters and they are doing a piss poor job, so their solution is "promote yourself if you want money"..I can't be happy with that situation. I agree with what you're saying..but I just can't help not be annoyed at Zuffa.
I agree that a Union would be the best thing for fighters, however, I don't think there is enough will from fighters to make it happen, currently. Any steps towards that will have to come from the outside, as none want to be the guy whose career suffers to make it happen, and while that is the case it doesn't matter if there is a McGregor, or anyone else, showing a different path to getting more rewards.

Lets not act like Frankie has never been given an opportunity or reward in the UFC. He got his original titleshot on the back of beating Matt Veach, and then given a rematch after losing his title, followed by another titleshot in another division immediately after losing that rematch. He has hardly been held back his entire career and not given a chance. Now he get's the exposure of UFC 200 to solidify his claim to a money fight against McGregor, and he might even get some PPV points for being there as well - hopefully.

Tony is working on building his brand, judging from the responses to his videos he should take a heel route, as that is how most people are taking him anyway. Play that up, keep performing as he is now, and while he may not reach the heights of McGregor, his ceiling could be very high.

Until either legislation is enacted, or a union is formed which fights for it, then revenue sharing from the UFC is going to continue to be dismal at best. While that is the case then fighters should treat fighting as a business not a sport, and take every step they can to ensure themselves a larger share of the pie. I'm not happy about it, but there is nothing I can do to change it.

Last edited:

Ghost Bro

Nov 13, 2015
I agree that a Union would be the best thing for fighters, however, I don't think there is enough will from fighters to make it happen, currently. Any steps towards that will have to come from the outside, as none want to be the guy whose career suffers to make it happen, and while that is the case it doesn't matter if there is a McGregor, or anyone else, showing a different path to getting more rewards.

Lets not act like Frankie has never been given an opportunity or reward in the UFC. He got his original titleshot on the back of beating Matt Veach, and then given a rematch after losing his title, followed by another titleshot in another division immediately after losing that rematch. He has hardly been held back his entire career and not given a chance. Now he get's the exposure of UFC 200 to solidify his claim to a money fight against McGregor, and he might even get some PPV points for being there as well - hopefully.

Tony is working on building his brand, judging from the responses to his videos he should take a heel route, as that is how most people are taking him anyway. Play that up, keep performing as he is now, and while he may not reach the heights of McGregor, his ceiling could be very high.

Until either legislation is enacted, or a union is formed which fights for it, then revenue sharing from the UFC is going to continue to be dismal at best. While that is the case then fighters should treat fighting as a business not a sport, and take every step they can to ensure them a larger share of the pie. I'm not happy about it, but there is nothing I can do to change it.
Great post, agreed..Thanks for the chat bro.

P.S. I like Tony, I think he's got a good shot against Khabib.

regular john

Muay Thai World Champion
May 21, 2015
I never got people geting so worked up about the brazilian chant, prolly because we do it too in the football games..it's not a death threat or anything so I never got that.
lol yes... I always try to tell people that it's just a silly chant, no one will actually kill a pro fighter.

a lot of people get incredibly offended with it which is really funny.

Ghost Bro

Nov 13, 2015
lol yes... I always try to tell people that it's just a silly chant, no one will actually kill a pro fighter.

a lot of people get incredibly offended with it which is really funny.
It's like someone shouting "Fuck you!!" and the other person screaming "POLICE!! RAPE!! Raaaaaaaaaaape!!!!!!!!!!!!"

regular john

Muay Thai World Champion
May 21, 2015
It's like someone shouting "Fuck you!!" and the other person screaming "POLICE!! RAPE!! Raaaaaaaaaaape!!!!!!!!!!!!"
lol yes... mma fans in the internet are the most sensitive people.

on topic, I voted UFC 197 - you can't beat Teflon Jon coming back from jail, plus Pettis vs. Barboza is the one fight I wanted to see the most in my life outside of KJ Noons vs. Daron Cruickshank.

Ghost Bro

Nov 13, 2015
lol yes... mma fans in the internet are the most sensitive people.

on topic, I voted UFC 197 - you can't beat Teflon Jon coming back from jail, plus Pettis vs. Barboza is the one fight I wanted to see the most in my life outside of KJ Noons vs. Daron Cruickshank.
Lol at "Teflon Jon" :D:D

And yeah agreed 197 has a lot of good fights as well..looking forward to it! 22 days!!!