Lifestyle Post your salary/revenue and how much tax you paid for 2018

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.
M

member 1013

kneeblock @Kneeblock , don’t abandon me. I don’t care if you’re doing important research. Is it on the Byzantine? It’s probably on the Byzantine.

KWingJitsu

ยาเม็ดสีแดงหรือสีฟ้ายา?
Nov 15, 2015
Well.

As a former tax accountant, I haven't finished massaging my 2018 taxes - yet.:smilingimp: so don't have my final figures.

But income is somewhere between 69 & 79K form the day job, and an indeterminate amount from the side hustle.

Taxes ... well it appears (for now) at first glance I'll owe a couple grand :imp: Thanks, Orange man.

BrunoMcGyver

Bruno no dey carry last
Dec 30, 2015
In Australia our financial year is from 1 July to 30 June. So for the financial year between 1 July 2017 and 30 June 2018 I only earned around $30K gross with about 25K income. Most of that was from work considered to be subcontracting so I still owed about $400.

I had more work during the 2018 tax season though. Made about 19K gross and paid about $4.1K to the govt with that taxwork . Been back delivery driving (as a subcontractor) since mid-November though but I've used my tax knowledge to help myself out. Started putting money in my superannuation (kinda like the US 401K) every week, which I can claim in my tax return. I can claim the cost of my tax agent certification course, and of course my car since I use it for delivery driving.

I'm expecting a gross income of about 45K, taxable income of about 36K and about $500 tax back.

Not as much as you rich fuckers, but like Jesus X @Jesus X I don't have taste for the 'finer things in life' I buy $5 T-shirts, rock an iPhone5, get cheap (but oh so tasty) Asian good as my indulgent takeaway and fly low-cost airlines when I travel (which isnt much nowadays). My 36K goes further than a lot of people who earn double that here.

Oh and I also dont have that many 'real' friends nowadays, so I dont spend a heap of money on going out and buying alcohol etc etc

Last edited:

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Easy Splinty Gekko. Professin the good word is what I love.
Profess the good word in ebook form and then tax deduct your computer, internet, and travel for your book tour. And don't forget to set up a dedicated home office (no other uses!!) to deduct that square footage percent of your mortgage.

Hell your book publishing can be a co-op so @Lars can be part owner of his own means of production

Never_Rolled

First 10,000
Dec 17, 2018
Profess the good word in ebook form and then tax deduct your computer, internet, and travel for your book tour. And don't forget to set up a dedicated home office (no other uses!!) to deduct that square footage percent of your mortgage.

Hell your book publishing can be a co-op so @Lars can be part owner of his own means of production
And wait for the audit. The home office is the quickest way to invite an audit.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014

That's true actually which is why I don't use it. I also let people sleep in my office as a mixed use area. Just pointing out the system doesn't do much for noble professors. Noble professors with a podcast or book deal...that's way different.

Never_Rolled

First 10,000
Dec 17, 2018
That's true actually which is why I don't use it. I also let people sleep in my office as a mixed use area. Just pointing out the system doesn't do much for noble professors. Noble professors with a podcast or book deal...that's way different.
The IRS hates that deduction. The write off isn’t worth the cost of the audit.

M

member 1013

Just pointing out the system doesn't do much for noble professors. Noble professors with a podcast or book deal...that's way different.
Exactly! Just look at how the system tried to railroad beloved professor and respected clinical researcher, J.B. Peterson. Luckily, like a phoenix, he rose above the ashes of their reductive ideology to become stronger, more focused and more effective than ever.

kneeblock @Kneeblock

M

member 1013

In Australia our financial year is from 1 July to 30 June. So for the financial year between 1 July 2017 and 30 June 2018 I only earned around $30K gross with about 25K income. Most of that was from work considered to be subcontracting so I still owed about $400.

I had more work during the 2018 tax season though. Made about 19K gross and paid about $4.1K to the govt with that taxwork . Been back delivery driving (as a subcontractor) since mid-November though but I've used my tax knowledge to help myself out. Started putting money in my superannuation (kinda like the US 401K) every week, which I can claim in my tax return. I can claim the cost of my tax agent certification course, and of course my car since I use it for delivery driving.

I'm expecting a gross income of about 45K, taxable income of about 36K and about $500 tax back.

Not as much as you rich fuckers, but like Jesus X @Jesus X I don't have taste for the 'finer things in life' I buy $5 T-shirts, rock an iPhone5, get cheap (but oh so tasty) Asian good as my indulgent takeaway and fly low-cost airlines when I travel (which isnt much nowadays). My 36K goes further than a lot of people who earn double that here.

Oh and I also dont have that many 'real' friends nowadays, so I dont spend a heap of money on going out and buying alcohol etc etc
I’m cheaper than you. All my meals cost less than five dollars and I don’t even wear shirts.

SongExotic2

ATM 3 CHAMPION OF THE WORLD. #FREECAIN
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
I have an investment idea for you. Will probably make you millions

kneeblock

Drapetomaniac
Apr 18, 2015
Exactly! Just look at how the system tried to railroad beloved professor and respected clinical researcher, J.B. Peterson. Luckily, like a phoenix, he rose above the ashes of their reductive ideology to become stronger, more focused and more effective than ever.

kneeblock @Kneeblock
The shame of your country is about to debate Zizek in a couple weeks. It should be an amusing embarrassment for all involved.

Enock-O-Lypse Now!

Underneath Denver International Airport
Jun 19, 2016
Well.

As a former tax accountant, I haven't finished massaging my 2018 taxes - yet.:smilingimp: so don't have my final figures.

But income is somewhere between 69 & 79K form the day job, and an indeterminate amount from the side hustle.

Taxes ... well it appears (for now) at first glance I'll owe a couple grand :imp: Thanks, Orange man.

Best books to learn about doing your own Taxes?

KWingJitsu

ยาเม็ดสีแดงหรือสีฟ้ายา?
Nov 15, 2015
Best books to learn about doing your own Taxes?
Hmmm.

Probably this one:

However, I'd encourage you to also (or instead) get Turbo Tax - designed for your situation.
Doing a regular long form 1040A? Get the 'Deluxe' edition. Own a small/side business? Get the 'Premier' Edition. Large business? Get the 'Home and Business' edition. etc.
And follow the guidelines. It will show you if you've made any errors or if there are any audit red flags which you can fix to comply.
Also if you over-deduct, it will alert you. Can't go wrong as long as you follow the suggestions.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
I just cut it all off 3 days back...sent it to Wigs for Cancer Kids(I have sent 4 Bags of glorious wavy locks to those kids to wear)...some kid is gonna have 24 inches of flow and be the talk of the town

I used a #4 and clippers so I did in fact save money on that rare haircut

The thinning of my hair was greatly exaggerated...still pretty full up there..I was surprised
how long does it have to be to donate? My hair is fucking glorious when it's grown long.
But long hair such a PITA, I'd have to be doing it for a good cause...

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
how long does it have to be to donate? My hair is fucking glorious when it's grown long.
But long hair such a PITA, I'd have to be doing it for a good cause...
like 10 inches long for donation

I usually just send like 12 inches or so

this time I went full 24 inches

I got that hair that ladies wanna steal(used to get lots of poontang with it before I settled) wavy thick brown

Yes it can be a pain in the ass no doubt

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Seriously?? We claim a square footage of our house as a home office since we both work from home. My wife also claims mileage. I pray we never get audited. Now you have me freaked out lol.

M

member 1013

Seriously?? We claim a square footage of our house as a home office since we both work from home. My wife also claims mileage. I pray we never get audited. Now you have me freaked out lol.
I just reported you to the IRS