Posture?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

BJJMMA

John Wayne Man in Johnny Depp World
Jun 7, 2016
Anyone got any advice on posture?

Right now I'm tipping the scales at 278 which is unfortunate because I should probably be around 185-190. The bigger point is BJJ has helped me go from 315 to here in a short period of time.

Needless to say I am usually stuck grappling the big guys in class. If I end up on bottom by either pulling or missing a shot or the million other ways my guard get crushed, often. I think this has a lot to do with posture. Wondering if anyone can help me out with some drills or something you may have done early on to help with this.

SongExotic2

ATM 3 CHAMPION OF THE WORLD. #FREECAIN
First 100
Jan 16, 2015

Right now I'm tipping the scales at 278 which is unfortunate because I should probably be around 185-190. The bigger point is BJJ has helped me go from 315 to here in a short period of time.

Needless to say I am usually stuck grappling the big guys in class. If I end up on bottom by either pulling or missing a shot or the million other ways my guard get crushed, often. I think this has a lot to do with posture. Wondering if anyone can help me out with some drills or something you may have done early on to help with this.
Just use aikido like sensei segal

SC MMA MD

TMMAC Addict
Jan 20, 2015

You mean breaking other people's posture when they are in your guard so they have a harder time passing?

BJJMMA

John Wayne Man in Johnny Depp World
Jun 7, 2016
You mean breaking other people's posture when they are in your guard so they have a harder time passing?
Yes as well as I think I am overcommiting at times causing my guard to be easily passed.

SC MMA MD

TMMAC Addict
Jan 20, 2015
Yes as well as I think I am overcommiting at times causing my guard to be easily passed.
My favorite guard retention drill is doing sweep/pass/submit starting from closed guard. Person on their back has the goal of sweeping or submitting the person in guard, the person in guard has the goal of passing to side control, back or mount. Once one of those goals is met, reset. From your back, experiement with 2 on 1 collar control, using your legs to pull the opponent forward to help break their posture, and moving your hips without putting your feet in the ground (moving while maintaining squeezing pressure on the opponent with your legs).

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
this little video revolutionized my posture inside guard, and conversely, breaking guard... Be on your side, not your back. Don't try to pull their upper body down with your legs - get your legs around their hips and pick up their center of gravity and pull it in an arc to your chest...

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
more of the same principles from Jack. I've had a chance to drill this with Jack, and it's very effective.