Product Review Thread

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.
M

member 603

Hey everyone, I'm starting this thread for all of us to ask questions and give reviews/feedback for all products BJJ/Sub Grappling related.

Whether it's Gi's, belts, rash guards, spats, finger tape, supplements, gear bags, or even just customer service for companies, let us all know.... The more info, the better.

SC MMA MD

TMMAC Addict
Jan 20, 2015
Great idea!

I will start with two reviews:

Jits Grips- I bought a pair of these a few years ago for the academy, and they have been real popular. I use them for rows and pull-ups. They have held up to regular use very well.

Monkey tape- I don't tape my fingers, but the guys who do like this tape a lot. It is significantly stickier than normal athletic tape and rarely falls off during training.

Last edited:
M

member 603

Doc are they using regular Gorilla tape? Like the same stuff Gorilla Glue sells?

My reviews on a few product lines... It's a trend now, but I can't stop speaking highly enough of Phalanx... Great customer service and great products. I own a rash guard and several t-shirts, they're great. As much publicity as they get now, they're actually still very small as a company. The owner has sent follow up emails (that aren't generic copy paste ones) to inquire about my opinions on their products, and has responded to my responses.

Another great company is No Judges Needed. They're based out of Florida and for a small company, have better quality gear than some of the larger companies out today. I own several of their shorts and whenever my students (adults and kids) ask what to get, I tell them NJN.

M

member 603

Hey what gum shields/mouth guards do you guys use for grappling? I have my double sided Everlast one that I use for MMA/Striking (and for years they've been great), but I'm wondering if you guys have any brands you prefer.

SC MMA MD

TMMAC Addict
Jan 20, 2015
Hey what gum shields/mouth guards do you guys use for grappling? I have my double sided Everlast one that I use for MMA/Striking (and for years they've been great), but I'm wondering if you guys have any brands you prefer.
I have a gladiator custom mouthguard that I use. That was what I used in kickboxing/MMA, and I like how easy it was to breathe/talk with that I have kept using them when just grappling as well.

M

member 603

I have a gladiator custom mouthguard that I use. That was what I used in kickboxing/MMA, and I like how easy it was to breathe/talk with that I have kept using them when just grappling as well.
Thanks.... Lately I have felt that my mouth guards have messed up my jaw alignment.... I feel like I'm grinding my teeth and get occasional headaches, so I'm looking for something new.

SAJ

Posting Machine
Aug 2, 2015
Are there any gi brands that are known for not shrinking in the washing machine lol or is that just a given with gi's?

M

member 603

Are there any gi brands that are known for not shrinking in the washing machine lol or is that just a given with gi's?
Kind of a given, but I'm not sure about hemp gi's... Anyone have one of those?

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
I'm friends with the guy who owns Gladiator. They are good gumshield.

I'm sponsored by Funkygums in the UK and love their stuff.
The expensive brands are pre-shrunk. I tried to shrink my Tatami on 90C and it just distorted the rubberised collar.

M

member 603

I just got a Hiyabusa gi.... I felt like I'm cheating on my beloved Atama gi's, but I have to say that so far I'm impressed with it. It has the rope instead of the flat draw string on the pants (which I'm normally not a fan of) but I dig it so far.

M

member 603

Ok Guys, it's the holiday season and I know us grapplers will start doing the holiday buys for new gear.... What are you guys looking at getting? Any new gear for yourself or others that you're picking up? Any great deals you guys can pass along?

Gi's
No Gi Shorts
Spatz
Rash Guards
Finger Tape
Mouthguard's
Gear Bags
T-Shirts

lueVelvet @lueVelvet Darqnezz @Darqnezz Leigh @Leigh maurice @maurice kneeblock @Kneeblock SAJ @SAJ RedDragonUK @RedDragonUK La Paix @BirdWatcher SC MMA MD @SC MMA MD GSPTrainingInAPool @Cagesidelore Filthy @Filthy Mishima Zaibatsu @Thai Otoshi efeezee @efeezee @Bones Nose Brigsy @Brigsy K @Kaladin Stormblessed SuperPig @willthiswork ECC170 @ECC170 Wild @Wild let us all know

Last edited by a moderator:

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
Ok Guys, it's the holiday season and I know us grapplers will start doing the holiday buys for new gear.... What are you guys looking at getting? Any new gear for yourself of others that you're picking up? Any great deals you guys can pass along?

Gi's
No Gi Shorts
Spatz
Rash Guards
Finger Tape
Mouthguard's
Gear Bags
T-Shirts

lueVelvet @lueVelvet Darqnezz @Darqnezz Leigh @Leigh maurice @maurice kneeblock @Kneeblock SAJ @SAJ RedDragonUK @RedDragonUK La Paix @BirdWatcher SC MMA MD @SC MMA MD GSPTrainingInAPool @Cagesidelore Filthy @Filthy Mishima Zaibatsu @Thai Otoshi efeezee @efeezee @Bones Nose Brigsy @Brigsy K @Kaladin Stormblessed SuperPig @willthiswork ECC170 @ECC170 Wild @Wild let us all know
I've got pretty much all I need. Asked wifey for some anti fog sunglasses for my winter cardio.

M

member 603

Phalanx has a 15% off everything on their site now until the 19th if you use the code: EARLYBIRD when checking out.

Atama I think is starting their early Black Friday deals now too.

SC MMA MD

TMMAC Addict
Jan 20, 2015
I am hoping to get an Origin gi. If I do, it will be my first “luxury” gi. I am waiting to see how much the Jocko one sells for.

M

member 603

I am hoping to get an Origin gi. If I do, it will be my first “luxury” gi. I am waiting to see how much the Jocko one sells for.
I've never heard of them, is it Jocko's personal brand? That guy is awesome.

SAJ

Posting Machine
Aug 2, 2015
I'm also looking for a 'fancy' gi. I don't mind splashing out on one as long as it's A2 and ultralight.

SC MMA MD

TMMAC Addict
Jan 20, 2015
I've never heard of them, is it Jocko's personal brand? That guy is awesome.
They are based in Maine. Dude who owns it bought a loom, and started making gi’s from US cotton, made into US cloth, then into gi’s in Maine. Jocko partnered with them earlier this year. They also have a BJJ camp that sounds amazing (fee includes food and room (essentially cabins acting as dorms)). Gi’s look great, but are about double what I would normally spend.

maurice

Posting Machine
Oct 21, 2015
I'm always looking out for quality but inexpensive base-layer stuff (long-sleeve rashguard and tights).

That basically means searching for deep discounts, because the regular prices for these items seem crazy to me.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
I'd like to get some opinions on spats/rash guards. Who wears them regularly to train in? Do you pay the extra for antimicrobial?

Some guys I'm training info with who compete with the gi never wear them to make it closer to tourneys. I just picked up a pair of spats and find it much more comfortable to roll in personally. Plus I'm concerned with gross staph and ring worm, maybe I'm making too big of an issue with this? Our mats are cleaned twice a day but still...

I ordered a second set of spats today and also have a long sleeve on its way so I'm curious to how that'll feel compared to short sleeve.

Any feed back is appreciated.