General Pulled my kids from school 4 Remembrance Day

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.
Jan 21, 2015
I can't stand to hear that Canadian pro-war propaganda any more, and the way they lay it on the children at school is a brainwashing crime imo, not to mention all over the TV and media for a few weeks every year around this time.

I pulled them out today, told them if they wanna stay home they have to spend 1.5 hours with me going over some other perspectives of war history that they will never hear in school. We will be watching a WWI doc this afternoon together.

We've already had some good discussions. My daughter pointed out that whatever the truth may be, the soldiers BELIEVED they were fighting the good fight. I think they were sold a load of BS propaganda but she is right, in their minds they were doing good, and in this sense their actions are indeed super brave and heroic.

But at least here in Canada, there are certain catchphrases and rhetoric that they keep repeating repeating repeating repeating from fucking Kindergarten and through our entire lives that I think is not only inaccurate but irresponsible to teach.

Here are the phrases we hear every year here that makes my stomach churn, especially in regards to WWI:

- the soldiers 'served our country'
- the soldiers were 'defending us'
- they 'fought for our democracy'
- they 'fought so we can be free'
- thanking them for their sacrifice
- 'never again'
etc etc

IMHO ^^ none of this is true. They fought and died for entirely different reasons that had little to nothing to do with Canada, unless if you possibly consider that we are a British Colony and if the British Empire was possibly defeated it might affect life here on the other side of the world.

Yet they keep perpetuating this bedtime story about how we all had to stand up to fight the evil Germans, or else we'd all be - what exactly? IMO it is this kind of rhetoric that precisely allows wars to CONTINUE TO THIS DAY (never again? lol they never stopped) - this idea in the back of our undeveloped and uninformed minds that soldiers are fighting the noble fight, defending us from an evil enemy, that they did it 100% for us and that we should thank them for doing this so we can enjoy the good things we have today, etc etc etc. I just can't stomach this anymore, and take great offence that people who don't know SHIT about world war history are feeding this stuff to children. Propaganda at its thickest imo.

Anyways, come at me. I know this pisses many people off, but I bet hearing the fairytale propaganda pisses me off more.

Last edited:

SongExotic2

ATM 3 CHAMPION OF THE WORLD. #FREECAIN
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
You gone full blown batshit. What's the password to the website. I'll take over now

Jan 21, 2015
Good thing we keep sending troops and weapons to the middle east today, to defend our freedom from those evil terrorists like on 9/11 who hate us for our freedoms!

Right??

SongExotic2

First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Good thing we keep sending troops and weapons to the middle east today, to defend our freedom from those evil terrorists like on 9/11 who hate us for our freedoms!

Right??

Well it's good for my paycheck

SongExotic2

First 100
Jan 16, 2015
And I also agree war is made to make rich people richer. It's a scam

Jan 21, 2015
There is more that one could debate about WWII... imo it wasn’t much different but for sure more to bring to the discussion.

WWI however I really don’t see what folks could bring to the table why Canadians would/should have left their wives and kids to go fight and kill and die. I’d be curious as to how most poppy-wearing folk would even say if you ask them what they think that war was even about. My bet is that they have no clue.

I do however believe in support for veterans. Those poor folks who come back all messed up. Certainly they deserve compassion and help. I just won’t glorify their actions in the way it’s done here and pretend they suffered for the reasons they like us to believe.

Jan 21, 2015
Don't use vagueness. Specifically what were they told and what was the reality.
We talkin WWI? WWII? Other wars?

I respect what you bring to the table, you seem sharp and well researched.

I would challenge folks to find a war where what soldiers were told and what was the reality were the same.

RaginCajun

The Reigning Undisputed Monsters Tournament Champ
Oct 25, 2015
Don't use vagueness. Specifically what were they told and what was the reality.
I was told this site was filled with the most thoughtful members of the lgbtqia+ community and that is only half true.

Last edited:

kneeblock

Drapetomaniac
Apr 18, 2015
Masato Toys @Masato Toys I feel similar to you in many ways and had to try to deprogram my son yesterday after he and his friends watched this film Midway. He lives in a war machineophile region because of defense contracts that were steered to the community over a period of 30 years or so.

But that said, it's pretty indisputable that both those who lived and those who died in these wars made a sacrifice. These were largely conscript armies, not all volunteers like we have today. It's worthwhile to steer away from the propaganda, but it's also worthwhile to respect what these men had to endure while the whole world was on fire.

Jan 21, 2015
Masato Toys @Masato Toys I feel similar to you in many ways and had to try to deprogram my son yesterday after he and his friends watched this film Midway. He lives in a war machineophile region because of defense contracts that were steered to the community over a period of 30 years or so.

But that said, it's pretty indisputable that both those who lived and those who died in these wars made a sacrifice. These were conscript armies, not volunteers like we have today. It's worthwhile to steer away from the propaganda, but it's also worthwhile to respect what these men had to endure while the whole world was on fire.
conscription is an even harder pill for me to swallow.

and don’t get me wrong, I am continually horrified and haunted at what those soldiers went through. It’s one reason I’m so adamant about the issue.

sparkuri

Pulse On The Finger Of The Community
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Well good for you Masato Toys @Masato Toys .
Family first, and all that into relational family speaking does far better for their minds than anything they learn in public school.
Should replace "learn" with "are indoctrinated with".
It is Veterans Day here in the US, so the schools are closed, but it is a different approach here in the states, which might be scarier.
I hope they aren't in public school, but if they are, any chance you can get to de- brainwash them and show them love and the aspects of a family unit will be an immeasurable benefit.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
I can't stand to hear that Canadian pro-war propaganda any more, and the way they lay it on the children at school is a brainwashing crime imo, not to mention all over the TV and media for a few weeks every year around this time.

I pulled them out today, told them if they wanna stay home they have to spend 1.5 hours with me going over some other perspectives of war history that they will never hear in school. We will be watching a WWI doc this afternoon together.

We've already had some good discussions. My daughter pointed out that whatever the truth may be, the soldiers BELIEVED they were fighting the good fight. I think they were sold a load of BS propaganda but she is right, in their minds they were doing good, and in this sense their actions are indeed super brave and heroic.

But at least here in Canada, there are certain catchphrases and rhetoric that they keep repeating repeating repeating repeating from fucking Kindergarten and through our entire lives that I think is not only inaccurate but irresponsible to teach.

Here are the phrases we hear every year here that makes my stomach churn, especially in regards to WWI:

- the soldiers 'served our country'
- the soldiers were 'defending us'
- they 'fought for our democracy'
- they 'fought so we can be free'
- thanking them for their sacrifice
- 'never again'
etc etc

IMHO ^^ none of this is true. They fought and died for entirely different reasons that had little to nothing to do with Canada, unless if you possibly consider that we are a British Colony and if the British Empire was possibly defeated it might affect life here on the other side of the world.

Yet they keep perpetuating this bedtime story about how we all had to stand up to fight the evil Germans, or else we'd all be - what exactly? IMO it is this kind of rhetoric that precisely allows wars to CONTINUE TO THIS DAY (never again? lol they never stopped) - this idea in the back of our undeveloped and uninformed minds that soldiers are fighting the noble fight, defending us from an evil enemy, that they did it 100% for us and that we should thank them for doing this so we can enjoy the good things we have today, etc etc etc. I just can't stomach this anymore, and take great offence that people who don't know SHIT about world war history are feeding this stuff to children. Propaganda at its thickest imo.

Anyways, come at me. I know this pisses many people off, but I bet hearing the fairytale propaganda pisses me off more.

as a veteran, I support this sentiment. People join the military for a lot of reasons, almost none of them valid...but they fight because they assume that dying is better than watching another one of their friends die.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
"I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation. War is hell."

- William Tecumseh Sherman

M

member 3289

"The good thing about the internet is that it allows people to educate themselves in many ways. The bad thing about the internet is that it makes stupid people think that they are educated."

- Me