Push Notifications

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
We have enabled the ability to support Push Notifications.

This is optional.

You will receive the message like in the screenshot. Each browser is a little different but essentially if you click the message, you can allow or deny push messages. You can also click the settings gear icon and specify what you want pushed and what you don't. On mobile this means that you would get a notification from the website even when you navigate to another website. Essentially the alert you normally get at the top of the screen would give you a notice on your phone if you weren't paying attention.

If you don't want to do this, you can hit deny or just X out the message.

You can also customize which things give you a push notification in which things give you an alert by going to your account preferences:

You might prefer to get a push message for each conversation someone starts with you or each time someone mentions your name, but not every time someone replies to a thread you were watching.

You can disable them again from here as well.

Hauler

Been fallin so long it's like gravitys gone
Feb 3, 2016
We have enabled the ability to support Push Notifications.

This is optional.

You will receive the message like in the screenshot. Each browser is a little different but essentially if you click the message, you can allow or deny push messages. You can also click the settings gear icon and specify what you want pushed and what you don't. On mobile this means that you would get a notification from the website even when you navigate to another website. Essentially the alert you normally get at the top of the screen would give you a notice on your phone if you weren't paying attention.

If you don't want to do this, you can hit deny or just X out the message.

You can also customize which things give you a push notification in which things give you an alert by going to your account preferences:

You might prefer to get a push message for each conversation someone starts with you or each time someone mentions your name, but not every time someone replies to a thread you were watching.

You can disable them again from here as well.

306 messages?!?

Answer mine first!

Jehannum

TMMAC's Most Handsome Artist
Jan 26, 2016
if anyone needed proof Splinty ignores all our desperate pleas, there it is!

mysticmac

First 1025
Oct 18, 2015
Is this related to the notification bell on the page? That is not getting auto updated for me. I have to manually reload the page in order to see notification of any new alerts. I have push notifications turned off for everything, but alerts enabled.

Both of my Automatically watch content blah blah preferences are enabled as well.

Last edited:

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Is this related to the notification bell on the page? That is not getting auto updated for me. I have to manually reload the page in order to see notification of any new alerts. I have push notifications turned off for everything, but alerts enabled.

Both of my Automatically watch content blah blah preferences are enabled as well.

Push notifications are simply browser pop-ups so you are alerting when you're away from the site on your computer or phone.
They send The push notification when the alert bell at the top goes on

Alerts, The red icon you're describing, occur anytime there is and Ajax trigger or page refresh.

If you're browsing on a computer then this works the way it always did. But the software is more efficient and probably doing less ajax refreshes than in the past and you're probably refreshing before one occurs.

If you are using a mobile device mobile devices can pause pages in the background.

Either way, alerts are working and they are working on the same triggers as the past.

I have tested this extensively and alerts are still occuring if you wait and don't refresh.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Desktop.

As a reference point, you posted this at 6:34PM. I didn't see the alert until the next time I refreshed the page at 7:42PM.
I was alerted to this immediately.
I'll look into it though.

mysticmac

First 1025
Oct 18, 2015
I was alerted to this immediately.
I'll look into it though.
FF 75.0 (64-bit) on OSX 10.15.4. I do have the NoScript plugin for FF, but scripts for this site and ajax.googleapis.com are enabled, and it was working before the update.

Do the AJAX calls use HTTP or HTTPS? That might be it.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
FF 75.0 (64-bit) on OSX 10.15.4. I do have the NoScript plugin for FF, but scripts for this site and ajax.googleapis.com are enabled, and it was working before the update.

Do the AJAX calls use HTTP or HTTPS? That might be it.
Everything is https.
I've got an idea and well do some testing later when I have time.

mysticmac

First 1025
Oct 18, 2015
Everything is https.
I've got an idea and well do some testing later when I have time.
I just got an alert notification w/o having to refresh the page. I'm not sure if you changed anything, but hopefully it continues to happen.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
I just got an alert notification w/o having to refresh the page. I'm not sure if you changed anything, but hopefully it continues to happen.

I did.
I'm forcing some stuff to refresh which increases server load but if it holds out that'll be the norm.