Society Question About Jury Duty

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

sparkuri

Pulse On The Finger Of The Community
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Some companies have their own rules. A large company has to meet a minimum requirement but they can exceed it. A small business just needs to give you the time off. A % isn’t a thing.
The government pays you wages.
It varies, by percentage, by state, county, region. Like prevailing wage.
Different in say, Seattle, than in Butte Montana.
I assume federal cases are flat rate?

This could've changed...it's been at least a decade since I was close enough to rejection.

Never_Rolled

First 10,000
Dec 17, 2018
The government pays you wages.
It varies, by percentage, by state, county, region. Like prevailing wage.
Different in say, Seattle, than in Butte Montana.
I assume federal cases are flat rate?

This could've changed...it's been at least a decade since I was close enough to rejection.
Do you mean per diem pay to sit on a jury? Fed is $50 and states vary. Not 100% sure but is could even vary county to county. I thought you were talking about employer pay while out on jury duty.

sparkuri

Pulse On The Finger Of The Community
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Do you mean per diem pay to sit on a jury? Fed is $50 and states vary. Not 100% sure but is could even vary county to county. I thought you were talking about employer pay while out on jury duty.
I've never heard of an employer paying an employee for jury duty. That would be news to me.

Never_Rolled

First 10,000
Dec 17, 2018
I've never heard of an employer paying an employee for jury duty. That would be news to me.
They pay them their salary or daily rate if bound by the law. It isn't for jury duty per se. Small companies aren't required. I think it's 50 or less. If you get paid by your company most courts wave paying you too.

Bozy

OOHH YOU DIDNT KNOW!?
Feb 22, 2015
I've received 3 jury duty letters in my life. All 3 were delivered weeks late. One was 3 months late. They say the judge can issue a bench warrant for your arrest in NC if you don't show up for jury duty. But they dont issue them through certified mail. So I'm not sure what the process is. I've heard it's around $8 per day and your job only has to allow you time off. No pay. So, you either burn vacation/holiday pay. Or lose a days pay .

Never_Rolled

First 10,000
Dec 17, 2018
I've received 3 jury duty letters in my life. All 3 were delivered weeks late. One was 3 months late. They say the judge can issue a bench warrant for your arrest in NC if you don't show up for jury duty. But they dont issue them through certified mail. So I'm not sure what the process is. I've heard it's around $8 per day and your job only has to allow you time off. No pay. So, you either burn vacation/holiday pay. Or lose a days pay .
That would be a loser all day every day in front of a judge as they couldn’t prove you received the mail. I am sure that’s a scare tactic but never actually happens.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
You're kind of proving my point.
exactly.

the only people on a jury are the people too dumb to get out of it, or someone who WANTS to wield the power of a jury. And that's rarely to use the power of the jury to exonerate the accused.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
The govt. has never complained about being inefficient or having too much deadwood. That's what they do.
i just think that there already enough people in a Decision chair who have a vested interest in growing the Criminal Justice budget and incarcerating as many people as possible.

Never_Rolled

First 10,000
Dec 17, 2018
i just think that there already enough people in a Decision chair who have a vested interest in growing the Criminal Justice budget and incarcerating as many people as possible.
Many in our society need to be incarcerated.

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
exactly.

the only people on a jury are the people too dumb to get out of it, or someone who WANTS to wield the power of a jury. And that's rarely to use the power of the jury to exonerate the accused.
That wasn't at all my point. I'm more than likely going to do it and it has nothing to do with either of those statements.

Never_Rolled

First 10,000
Dec 17, 2018
How do you explain that we incarcerate as many of our citizens as Russia and China combined?
I don’t have to explain anything. I have no idea how their legal system works. People in those countries tend to disappear.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
That wasn't at all my point. I'm more than likely going to do it and it has nothing to do with either of those statements.
I believe in jury nullification, so I've been excused from every jury I've been summoned to.

but a lot of folks are like N @Never_Rolled, in that there's no incentive or consequence to serving, so they don't.
And we don't teach Civics any more.

Hauler

Been fallin so long it's like gravitys gone
Feb 3, 2016
I always send a letter stating I don't have coverage at work. It's worked 3 times so far.

I'll be happy to go when I'm retired but who has time for that shit when they have a job?

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
I don’t have to explain anything. I have no idea how their legal system works. People in those countries tend to disappear.
well, you said there was a need. Do we need to incarcerate 2.2M people?

Never_Rolled

First 10,000
Dec 17, 2018
well, you said there was a need. Do we need to incarcerate 2.2M people?
If they are guilty of violating the law and receive a prison sentence sure. You can’t put a number on it. That would be like me asking you what level of violence is acceptable to let some go free or not be sentenced. It is what it is. This prison thing seems to be a pet project of yours as of late. What brought all this on? Stats? You always struck me as a law and order guy so it just seems it bit odd.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
If they are guilty of violating the law and receive a prison sentence sure. You can’t put a number on it. That would be like me asking you what level of violence is acceptable to let some go free or not be sentenced. It is what it is. This prison thing seems to be a pet project of yours as of late. What brought all this on? Stats? You always struck me as a law and order guy so it just seems it bit odd.
I think we over-criminalize/over-incarcerate a lot of behaviors. And I think the playing field is highly-tilted in the favor of the State.

I don't think the State is doing this for the best interests of society, as much as they're doing it in the best interests of their contributors who work in the Prison Industry.

EDIT - Yes, I'm very Law & Order. But I'm even more "Equality Before the Law" and "Liberty >> Order" kind of guy. :)

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
I don't think the State is doing this for the best interests of society, as much as they're doing it in the best interests of their contributors who work in the Prison Industry.
You're not going down the private prison road, are you?